Wiki Posts
Search

Mattress pads in Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Mattress pads in Business Class

I read that Cathay trialled mattress pads in Business Class towards the end of 2017. Has the idea been abandoned or are they being rolled out across the fleet?

i had a sleepless night flight to Sydney last year and have another one coming up soon. A bit of extra padding would be very welcome.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:38 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I believe it didn't make the cut into the new service...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:41 pm

it costs more, so no
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
I always ask for an extra or two duvet for padding.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:14 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by orangila
I always ask for an extra or two duvet for padding.
+1

This is a very reasonable alternative, and I actually find the mattress pads in J on other airlines to be overrated as they are still very thin anyhow. I just like them because I get the 'feeling' that it is supposedly cleaner than resting your face on a chair that is hardly washed.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by clubeurope
I believe it didn't make the cut into the new service...
Originally Posted by clubeurope
+1

This is a very reasonable alternative, and I actually find the mattress pads in J on other airlines to be overrated as they are still very thin anyhow. I just like them because I get the 'feeling' that it is supposedly cleaner than resting your face on a chair that is hardly washed.
Ya unfortunately it didn't make the cut into the new service. I feel that CX could really improve their beddings in J, specifically the pillow and introducing a mattress pad. The duvet is great, but the rest is really lacking. The pillow is soooo thin, and without a mattress pad the seat feels really hard when you are trying to sleep on the lie-flat mode, and I can feel all the "cracks" when the seat is in lie-flat.

Many airlines (even AC) are introducing mattress pads. I get it, they are still very thin, but something is still better than nothing. And I was on QF domestic Y last week and oh wow their pillow is so thick that put CX longhaul J "pillow" to shame!
infinitium likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
I always take a self-inflating hiking mattress with me even in 1st class as the seats tend to be lump and the mattress pads are only about 1 cm thick. The brand I find is quite good is thermarest evolite, which weights very little, self inflates, and then maybe 5 puffs and its fully inflated and after sleep it rolls up into a small quite small sack that you can go in your carry-on or attach to its handle when entering and leaving the aircraft. Its been very worthwhile, even if it does arouse some interest from other passengers. Sometimes I also take a hiking pillow as well, as most airline pillows are flat (unless you can forage for extras in unallocated seats).
fairhsa likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: AAdvatage Executive Platinum / Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club - Green
The American Airlines Casper mattresses are great!!
prw555 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
No mattress pad was offered on my recent day flight HKG-JFK in J.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by allset2travel
No mattress pad was offered on my recent day flight HKG-JFK in J.
Well, the mattress pad never made the cut, so...
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:45 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...#first-seating

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...siness-seating

Their pillow in J on their webpage is definitely not what I get when I fly long haul business class.

Last edited by jsfrSE; Aug 12, 2018 at 5:51 am
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
I found the mattresses really thick and warm, just ask for 2 thenn you can spread one out on the bed and the other to cover you, really cosy and extremely warm
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by BA5E
I found the mattresses really thick and warm...
As repeatedly stated above, CX does not supply mattresses/pads. Presumably you mean blanket/duvet.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Aug 14, 2018 at 11:18 am
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
CX J is usually full on longhaul (after opup and ID). Even Though I ask, I am very seldom able to get an extra blanket or pillow (which I need for my knee), except from Y class. I believe that they don't load extra ones in J.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by brunos
CX J is usually full on longhaul (after opup and ID). Even Though I ask, I am very seldom able to get an extra blanket or pillow (which I need for my knee), except from Y class. I believe that they don't load extra ones in J.
I think they have a few from my experience. on my recent flight I was able to get 2 extra pillows and a duvet despite the flight being full.
clubeurope likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.