Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Carrier surcharges on Asia Miles redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Sorry this maybe off topic. Please feel free to move to the correct thread.
Does any one know if YQ is supposed to be applied to the whole itinerary originating from HKG or just the segment from HKG? I booked an oneway ticket HKG-SFO (stopover)- LHR (CX and BA). But I was charged $2,059 hkd YQ for this ticket. Is that right?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: JMB Sapphire, OneWorld Sapphire
booking one way flight has surcharge while r/t doesnt have?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pointsifu
Sorry this maybe off topic. Please feel free to move to the correct thread.
Does any one know if YQ is supposed to be applied to the whole itinerary originating from HKG or just the segment from HKG? I booked an oneway ticket HKG-SFO (stopover)- LHR (CX and BA). But I was charged $2,059 hkd YQ for this ticket. Is that right?
BA YQ charge is very high even for ex-HKG Asia Miles redemption.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ny911
BA YQ charge is very high even for ex-HKG Asia Miles redemption.
isn’t YQ not allowed by law for ex-hkg flights?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

I have no idea too, but it seems to be the case for BA flights on CX awards. That's why it has been suggested to avoid redeeming BA if possible. On the other hand, the YQ is reasonable when redeeming ex-HKG BA flights by BA Avios.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold

sfolhr isnt ex hkg
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka

sfolhr isnt ex hkg
True. But it's a one-way originating from HKG. SFO is a stopover in this particular case. So my question was if the "no YQ law" applies to the ex-HKG flights only or all segments of an itinerary originating from HKG.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:44 pm

True. But it's a one-way originating from HKG. SFO is a stopover in this particular case. So my question was if the "no YQ law" applies to the ex-HKG flights only or all segments of an itinerary originating from HKG.
While HKCAD says the ban only applies to flights originating from Hong Kong, in reality I think most airlines do not charge YQ for sectors to and from HKG for an Ex-HKG itinerary.

Originally Posted by http://www.cad.gov.hk/english/faq.html#passenger_fuel_surcharge
69. Are airlines allowed to levy the passenger fuel surcharge? Do airlines levy the surcharge for flights to and from Hong Kong?

Passenger fuel surcharges allow airlines to partially recover the increase in operating costs due to the fluctuations in aviation fuel prices. In view that the aviation fuel prices had stabilized to a reasonable level and that the corresponding fuel surcharges had been greatly reduced, CAD considered that levying of passenger fuel surcharges was not warranted. Therefore CAD announced on 20 January 2016 that airlines would not be approved to levy passenger fuel surcharges for one-way or round trip tickets issued from 1 February 2016 onwards for flights originating from Hong Kong.

According to the announcement made by CAD on 10 March 2017 (CAD announces time-limited resumption of cargo fuel surcharge), the suspension of passenger fuel surcharge should remain unchanged until further decision to be made after a study on the long-term arrangement of fuel surcharge regulation to be conducted by CAD.

Aviation authorities normally do not regulate tariff for services that originate from a location outside their area. CAD has adopted a similar practice in tariff regulation. Only flights originating from Hong Kong are subject to the regulation of CAD and airlines are not allowed to levy any passenger fuel surcharge for these flights originating from Hong Kong. Whether an airline chooses to levy a passenger fuel surcharge for flights to Hong Kong depends on the airline's policy and the practice of the country the flight originates.
If you play with ITA Matrix, you will see from example there is no YQ if you fly HKG-CPH-HKG direct on CX, but there is YQ if you choose HKG-LHR-CPH (LHR-CPH with BA code) and CPH-HKG. Similarly, if you search HKG-MUC return, no YQ for HKG-MUC-HKG direct on LH but YQ if you choose to transit in FRA.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by patrickw
While HKCAD says the ban only applies to flights originating from Hong Kong, in reality I think most airlines do not charge YQ for sectors to and from HKG for an Ex-HKG itinerary.

If you play with ITA Matrix, you will see from example there is no YQ if you fly HKG-CPH-HKG direct on CX, but there is YQ if you choose HKG-LHR-CPH (LHR-CPH with BA code) and CPH-HKG. Similarly, if you search HKG-MUC return, no YQ for HKG-MUC-HKG direct on LH but YQ if you choose to transit in FRA.
Great! Thanks for the explanation!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Just a datapoint, I recently made some redemptions between HKG-BOM.

The taxes/fees on a one way BOM-HKG redemption were way higher than a roundtrip HKG-BOM-HKG so I think there is some truth to ex-HKG tickets not being charged certain fees.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:03 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by midlevels
The taxes/fees on a one way BOM-HKG redemption were way higher than a roundtrip HKG-BOM-HKG so I think there is some truth to ex-HKG tickets not being charged certain fees.
I'm not sure which sectors you mean, but certainly a BOM-HKG will have YQ slapped on it which cannot be added to HKG-BOM-HKG.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Originally Posted by percysmith
I'm not sure which sectors you mean, but certainly a BOM-HKG will have YQ slapped on it which cannot be added to HKG-BOM-HKG.
Hi, I'm looking into the question of YQ being charged by IB+ on award flights booked on BA HKG-LHR. It appears that IB+ are charging YQ = EUR 224.41 , despite the HK CAD setting a maximum YQ for all flights departing HKG. The View from the Wing blog In March 2017 exposed a similar practise on AAdvantage award booking of BA flights ex HKG and convinced AA to refund the excess YQ to all bookings made. I wonder if anyone has any ideas how to get IB+ to acknowledge this and to start pricing their ex HKG award bookings correctly?
Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Does Asia Miles collect carrier-imposed charges (YQ) on a AA US-Europe award? Per ITA, they're $350 round trip in economy for CLT-CDG.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:24 pm
Original Member

Hello all
Sorry to bring this old thread back up. I would love to know about fuel surcharges on AA transatlantic and on AA/LA to Central and South America. Would love to hear any experiences.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:14 pm
Original Member

Hello all
FYi I ended up calling Asia Miles (long hold times!!!) - approx USD5 in taxes when redeeming on AA JFK-CDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.