Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

I have 70% of the miles but it won't let me buy the rest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Hello,

As I understand in I need 70% of the required miles and can buy the rest (or based on the wording the website is giving me, I don't need to buy more than 30% of the miles).

I can't understand why it won't let me purchase the miles for this award. Can anyone help? As far as I can tell I have 76% of the required miles.

Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:22 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Try calling.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:28 pm

I believe there is something called "Gift Miles" with Asia Miles that allows you to buy miles with money. So technically you could buy all the miles you need to redeem an award, but it won't be cheap.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
I "top up" often, but I didn't know it was even an option to do it online. I always call in. I think they sell them in 2000 Mile Blocks for $60USD, or about $0.03 per mile.

I just noticed "2 Adults", which does make me wonder. I had been told by someone on FT that in this sort of instance, CX would use your all your miles for the first ticket, and then you'd need 70% of the mile balance for the second. But I asked someone at MPC about that, and they said no, you would need 70% for the entire transaction. Somebody was wrong. I hope it was the FT commenter. Please report back on what you find.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Answer - Yes they can do it over the phone (but were happy to hold the booking while I transferred in more points so not needed).
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I "top up" often, but I didn't know it was even an option to do it online. I always call in. I think they sell them in 2000 Mile Blocks for $60USD, or about $0.03 per mile.

I just noticed "2 Adults", which does make me wonder. I had been told by someone on FT that in this sort of instance, CX would use your all your miles for the first ticket, and then you'd need 70% of the mile balance for the second. But I asked someone at MPC about that, and they said no, you would need 70% for the entire transaction. Somebody was wrong. I hope it was the FT commenter. Please report back on what you find.
I said that. I am (perhaps also was) wrong. I did that without topping up, and the booking ended up in two transactions. So my thought was that AM processed the transactions sequentially.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.