Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

IFE not working for entire aircraft - compensation yes/no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold

IFE was not working for the entire aircraft although crew were extremely apologetic and tried to reboot system numerous times but to no avail; must've sucked for people travelling in Y.

Also, passenger in 11K opened her window shades midway the flight during a red eye; I get that one may want to work but it's so disruptive to other passengers in the cabin when it's still essentially 3am in the origin airport.

Regarding the IFE issue, do you think CX will offer any form of goodwill gesture and through which channel should I contact them?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
you should get 50 or 100 usd voucher towards duty free distributed upon disembarkation.

online feedback form to complain doubr much remedy though

someone openinf shade is no grounds for complaint
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fakecd
you should get 50 or 100 usd voucher towards duty free distributed upon disembarkation.

online feedback form to complain doubr much remedy though

someone openinf shade is no grounds for complaint
I mean for the the shades thing, is it something I should've asked the crew as a courtesy or is the passenger well within their right to open it at that sort of time?

No vouchers were given upon disembarkation but they made numerous PAs throughout flight; system just stalled on the welcome slideslide showing images of the destination, seat number, and flight number.

Will they offer a choice of AMs instead of duty free voucher or usually just duty free voucher and is there a minimum spend for those vouchers?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:29 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Not the same, but an IFE failure happened to me on a MAN-HKG flight, albeit only in my seat... crew couldn't reboot to make it work so was moved to another J seat. Crew was very apologetic though...

In regards to shades, I've always thought it is within the rights of the window passenger to decide on opening or closing their shade at any stage of the flight (with the exception of taxi, takeoff and landing). Whether that is polite or courteous to the other passengers is whole different thing
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
And as to why they might do that... most likely because they want to get their body on destination time, not origin time. Certainly when I do long-haul that's what I aim to do.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

only a three hour time difference and somewhat short flight. using the lights wouldn't have been an issue for her and I would even say opening the shades 30 min before landing would've been better for adapting to the time

when she opened the shades, I seriously thought it was the mood lighting and we had 30 min till landing - I was so happy as I thought I managed to sleep though until I saw 2hr 20min left on the handset. crew were too nice to be bothered though

also, what would lead to the IFE not working for the entire aircraft? (just showing the seat number and cycling through pictures; no airshow and handsets couldnt even adjust screen brightness)
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
What flight are you talking about? CMB? MLE? Ex-India? Ex-Dubai? I presume it's one of these...

If it is one of those, you just gotta wear the shades if it bothers you. But I do sympathize. If you're ex-CMB max you can get is 4+ hours of sleep and that's if you're slumbering until 30 minutes until landing. And here's some examples to chew on: ex-Dubai, they do two services. I've flown on CX ex-Dubai a few times. One time, the service was so damn so there were only about 2.5 hours between services. Another time, I had some nice Taiwanese ladies chatting like crazy next to me, they were friends who has just been vacationing in Dubai. Very friendly, but loud as hell. And here's a story either ex-MLE or ex-CMB, I can't remember which, but: I witnessed a J class pax give the FAs hell for not having a breakfast service. For me, I'm like you I just wanted to sleep. But this chap was really chewing them out during the landing sequence for CX being so "cheap" not to serve breakfast. So it seems very hard to please everyone.

And if it's a longhaul like HKG-LAX on CX880 (and a few others like it), I can't say you have grounds to ask for anything! Some pax like to be in departure time zone, others arrival time zone, others don't care. Everyone is on a different sleep schedule and you've gotta learn to survive with the lights unfortunately.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
What flight are you talking about? CMB? MLE? Ex-India? Ex-Dubai? I presume it's one of these...

If it is one of those, you just gotta wear the shades if it bothers you. But I do sympathize. If you're ex-CMB max you can get is 4+ hours of sleep and that's if you're slumbering until 30 minutes until landing. And here's some examples to chew on: ex-Dubai, they do two services. I've flown on CX ex-Dubai a few times. One time, the service was so damn so there were only about 2.5 hours between services. Another time, I had some nice Taiwanese ladies chatting like crazy next to me, they were friends who has just been vacationing in Dubai. Very friendly, but loud as hell. And here's a story either ex-MLE or ex-CMB, I can't remember which, but: I witnessed a J class pax give the FAs hell for not having a breakfast service. For me, I'm like you I just wanted to sleep. But this chap was really chewing them out during the landing sequence for CX being so "cheap" not to serve breakfast. So it seems very hard to please everyone.

And if it's a longhaul like HKG-LAX on CX880 (and a few others like it), I can't say you have grounds to ask for anything! Some pax like to be in departure time zone, others arrival time zone, others don't care. Everyone is on a different sleep schedule and you've gotta learn to survive with the lights unfortunately.
oh it was from YVR-JFK 11pm departure, 7:30am arrival. I do get your points, but given timing, doesn’t it make more sense to open it an hour or half an hour before landing?

Service was exellent today as the J cabin was about a quarter full. Meal service was done similar to F service with no carte and essentially a la carte. Could have parts right before landing which certainly helps as I end up hungry at the end of the flight. Lots of extra duvets as well; three duvets as a mattress pad certain improve comfort significantly!

from the perspective of the lady, I totally understand it’s “her” shades and it’s well within her right to open them. In that sense, should other passengers be wearing eye masks to sleep and should passengers be allowed to open the shades whenever they want. When would it be inappropriate to open the shades during a flight?

for the IFE system, how would the flight crew have dealt with the passengers in economy; I recall seeing quite a few young children in the flight. Must’ve been terrible for them
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:54 pm

Use an eye mask - problem solved.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by infinitium
Use an eye mask - problem solved.
do you have any recommendations of any eye masks that don’t apply pressure onto your eyelids and eyes?

so far, the most comfortable ones are the ones from BA F but they still apply pressure and slightly uncomfortable
fairhsa likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
https://ostrichpillow.com/products/o...illow-original

No I don't have one. I keep the CX F mask in my backpack. But it might work for you as long as you don't mind looking a bit weird. At least you won't see the people stop and stare.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jacobsleather
https://ostrichpillow.com/products/o...illow-original

No I don't have one. I keep the CX F mask in my backpack. But it might work for you as long as you don't mind looking a bit weird. At least you won't see the people stop and stare.
Oh yeah, I've seen those before. How compact can it be packed and does it ever get too stuffy?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by fakecd
A few years ago I think I got 50USD first, and then the crew came to me to give me another 50USD for being a GO. I believe it was the voucher that can be used to buy tickets in addition to duty free.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
A few years ago I think I got 50USD first, and then the crew came to me to give me another 50USD for being a GO. I believe it was the voucher that can be used to buy tickets in addition to duty free.
So that's the same voucher from service failure compensation, with 1 year of validity.

Side story: last time a pax next to me had a lot of these vouchers trying to purchase duty-free but it turned out they were all from 2 years ago. Felt bad to the ISM when she was called upon to explain "why would it expire" for 30 minutes.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by hl176

do you have any recommendations of any eye masks that don’t apply pressure onto your eyelids and eyes?

so far, the most comfortable ones are the ones from BA F but they still apply pressure and slightly uncomfortable
Had the same issue, and got myself a “manta sleep mask” a couple of weeks ago. Zero pressure on the eyes or eyelids (you can open your eyes while wearing it) and 100% (!) blackout. It’s something like 30 USD+ but absolutely worth it. Thought about starting an entire thread on it, I am THAT happy. Previously, I used a LH F mask which I thought best at the time.

PS: not sure there’s even other options but if you order directly from their website make sure to turn off their newsletter option. Otherwise, they’ll send you an email a day about how you should buy a second mask while you haven’t even received the first one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.