Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

MPC points question when crediting to other program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum

Hello All,

I have an unusual(?) problem. First of all, I am a MPC(Green) as well as AA Advantage member (no status).

I recently booked a ticket on Cathay (Tucson to Cebu, PH) over phone. I was asked if I want to add AA number to my ticket and I said yes, thinking, it will be helpful as previously I didn't get points for flights on AA inside US. After my flight, I have received miles for AA and nothing for Cathay. Even though the ticket was Cathay and the flights were operated by Cathay.

I am close to AA gold as well as MPC Silver. My questions are:
1. Will I still get MPC even though flight miles and EQM went to AA?
2. If no, can I request AsiaMiles & MPC and remove AA miles & EQM? (I would rather have MPC silver, because I have more upcoming travels in southeast Asia.)

I tried to search on this forum to see if a similar question was asked before, but couldn't find it. I hope it's not a repeat.

Thanks and regards,
-Nile

EDIT: Correct to MPC.

Last edited by Nile_US; Jun 25, 2018 at 8:58 pm
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:45 pm

1. You can only credit to one program.
2. Unfortunately no, once it's credited it's there to stay
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Nile_US
Hello All,

I have an unusual(?) problem. First of all, I am a MCP(Green) as well as AA Advantage member (no status).

I recently booked a ticket on Cathay (Tucson to Cebu, PH) over phone. I was asked if I want to add AA number to my ticket and I said yes, thinking, it will be helpful as previously I didn't get points for flights on AA inside US. After my flight, I have received miles for AA and nothing for Cathay. Even though the ticket was Cathay and the flights were operated by Cathay.

I am close to AA gold as well as MCP Silver. My questions are:
1. Will I still get MCP even though flight miles and EQM went to AA?
2. If no, can I request AsiaMiles & MCP and remove AA miles & EQM? (I would rather have MCP silver, because I have more upcoming travels in southeast Asia.)

I tried to search on this forum to see if a similar question was asked before, but couldn't find it. I hope it's not a repeat.

Thanks and regards,
-Nile
Mate, first it's "MPC"! (Marco Polo Club...)

Second, no unfortunately you're probably sol here. Bottom line is you can only earn ONE currency per flight sector, not two. So when you agreed to "add your AA number" to your flight, you were also agreeing to strip your CX number. Now it's a very advanced move (and possible) to use one FF program one one sector and another FF program of another sector of the same journey, but you still run the risk of them crediting incorrectly, and don't have much recourse. But once it has been credited, highly unlikely / impossible to force a change.

Very very hard to get a retroactive change, especially since they didn't screw up - unfortunately, you did. Only in rare situations do they agree to retroactively change it, and I've only read situations when the airline blatantly screwed up.

To your second query, which is really "can I split up the mileage earning and elite credits", the answer is also no. Although MPC and Asia Miles are ostensibly different, they're really one and the same. You cannot get AA EQV and Asia Miles, just like you cannot get MPC credit but AA mileage. That's not how it works.

The best you can do is perhaps call Cathay Pacific and say you mistakenly credited to AA, and have them put a note in the system, so if you're really close to SL or whatever at the end of the year maybe they'll consider bumping to you SL as a courtesy.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, guys!

My bad, QRC3288! MCP is a whole different thing! ;-)

That's unfortunate! Only good thing is, my long leg was premium, so got decent miles etc on AA. I do have a return flight the same way, and I hope I can switch that to AM to make sure I get MPC points.

I don't understand why would she ask me if I wanted to add AA FFP on my cathay ticket without telling me that I won't get AM/MPC points, when she knew I am an AM/MPC member as well! :-((
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

By the way, I might add.

For my flights from Tucson to LAX, which are operated by AA, I have been getting miles for both. AA and AM and also EQMs and CP!!

I don't know if this is weird.

Last edited by Nile_US; Jun 25, 2018 at 9:31 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:15 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Thanks for the replies, guys!

My bad, QRC3288! MCP is a whole different thing! ;-)

That's unfortunate! Only good thing is, my long leg was premium, so got decent miles etc on AA. I do have a return flight the same way, and I hope I can switch that to AM to make sure I get MPC points.

I don't understand why would she ask me if I wanted to add AA FFP on my cathay ticket without telling me that I won't get AM/MPC points, when she knew I am an AM/MPC member as well! :-((
Who did you call? Unless you called MPC/AM and mentioned your AM/MPC number it's not likely that they already know who you are.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubeurope
Who did you call? Unless you called MPC/AM and mentioned your AM/MPC number it's not likely that they already know who you are.
When I booked the flights, I called Cathay Pacific number from the website. When I tried to book online, the web crashed and hence I called to reserve my existing booking. So my AM number should already be there with the booking. Anyway. Now I know!

If I hadn't received miles for both AA and CX flights before, I would have known this prior.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
By the way, I might add.

For my flights from Tucson to LAX, which are operated by AA, I have been getting miles for both. AA and AM and also EQMs and CP!!

I don't know if this is weird.
Was it a CX*/AA flight (CX-coded or marketed, AA-operated)? If so, I think because CX and AA use different system, you might have changed the FF number at the AA end (Sabre) so somehow Sabre got your AAdvantage number while at the CX end (Amadeus) things didn't change and your MPO number was kept, so you got lucky. This is certainly weird and not supposed to happen.

PS: I'm old-fashioned and use the abbreviation "MPO" (which is how CX writes it long time ago, not sure why though) instead of "MPC."
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Was it a CX*/AA flight (CX-coded or marketed, AA-operated)? If so, I think because CX and AA use different system, you might have changed the FF number at the AA end (Sabre) so somehow Sabre got your AAdvantage number while at the CX end (Amadeus) things didn't change and your MPO number was kept, so you got lucky. This is certainly weird and not supposed to happen.

PS: I'm old-fashioned and use the abbreviation "MPO" (which is how CX writes it long time ago, not sure why though) instead of "MPC."
The flight was AA obviously, as it's inside us. And my ticket was from Cathay. I am not sure if the flight had CX code. I didn't see it on my ticket nor my boarding pass. Only AA code.
If I recall correctly. I got AM miles/MPC points automatically. I claimed miles for AA (not knowing you only get for one), the only option is using the ticket number. They did give me miles for the flights inside US and declined the other with a reason saying already applied to CX FFP. (I was not claiming for those anyway, as I knew I won't get those.)
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
First - I am not so sure about whether CX knows if you are a MPC GR or not.

Second - it is fairly common for U.S. residents crediting CX to AA for elite status purpose due to EQD.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:55 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-seperate.html

(related but more of a benefits than club points discussion)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l-allowed.html
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by QRC3288
To your second query, which is really "can I split up the mileage earning and elite credits", the answer is also no. Although MPC and Asia Miles are ostensibly different, they're really one and the same. You cannot get AA EQV and Asia Miles, just like you cannot get MPC credit but AA mileage. That's not how it works.
For those of us with long memories, the answer is actually "not any more". 20 or so years ago it was perfectly possible to have, for example, MPO status credit and BA Airmiles mileage credit for the same flight. This changed around 1999 if I recall correctly.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
First - I am not so sure about whether CX knows if you are a MPC GR or not.

Second - it is fairly common for U.S. residents crediting CX to AA for elite status purpose due to EQD.
Hmm. May be. I would have thought my booking, which she could access, would have that information. But may be you are right and they don't. I am quite disappointed with Cathay's technical issues, to be honest. (Will rant some other day about it.)

@percysmith: What a nightmare! I am glad I have independent credit cards which give access to various lounges. My main reason to try to get at least MPC Silver is that I can get access to the Cathay Lounge @TBIT, LAX. I also have admirals club membership, so it's not terribly inconvenient.

@christep: Alas! We Millennials always have it tough! :P

By the way, is the 5posts/24hr rule for new comers only? Or all? What a ...... rule, if I may say so! :P (Better stop before I get banned on the second day! ;-) )
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
@percysmith: What a nightmare! I am glad I have independent credit cards which give access to various lounges. My main reason to try to get at least MPC Silver is that I can get access to the Cathay Lounge @TBIT, LAX. I also have admirals club membership, so it's not terribly inconvenient.
Fyi, Silver will only give you access to the dedicated CX lounge (including at TBIT LAX) when you are flying on CX metal only, assuming you're in Y class. You must earn Gold (equivalent to OneWorld Sapphire or "OWS") to have access to that lounge when flying on other OneWorld carriers in Y class. Of course, if you're flying J or F on those carriers, then their relevant lounge permissions will apply.

My point being Silver is great if you're flying CX/KA and want to use the lounge CX/KA have designated. But the OneWorld equivalent ("Ruby") is essentially a nothing.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:55 am
Original Poster

QRC3288, yes, I do understand that. I know it's a minor benifit. But I would rather be waiting at TBIT CX Lounge than on Terminal 4 AA Admirals club. Just convenient, especially when the flights get delayed etc.

Also, I do have some upcoming travel planned on CX flights. I do hope to be Gold, at least, this year. And hence was a little frustrated that my points will not be counted because the stupid mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.