Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Economy or Premium Economy Long haul (22 hours+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:02 am
Original Poster

I'm normally an economy flyer, but I think having long haul flights have been a bit taxing especially on really popular flights around this time (AU -> HK -> Canada). Just wondering if the $2000 AUD/CAD is worth the difference for economy/premium if my main aim would be to sleep as much as I can :P I know it's a silly question but flying with CX for almost 5 years I've never actually sat in the premium economy seats.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I'm confused. Your thread title specifies a premium economy (W) vs. business (J) comparison, but in your actual post the AUD/CAD 2,000 difference seems to be between economy (Y) and premium economy (W). I assume you're talking roundtrip fares here. If it is indeed a $2,000 difference between Y and W, I'd say no, not worth it--just spend USD100 (or free if you have any elite status on CX or OW) per long-haul flight for an exit row seat. If it's a $2,000 difference between W and J, without knowing the base W fare, in most cases I'd say a $500 premium per flight for the flat bed is well worth it.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkc192
I'm confused. Your thread title specifies a premium economy (W) vs. business (J) comparison, but in your actual post the AUD/CAD 2,000 difference seems to be between economy (Y) and premium economy (W). I assume you're talking roundtrip fares here. If it is indeed a $2,000 difference between Y and W, I'd say no, not worth it--just spend USD100 (or free if you have any elite status on CX or OW) per long-haul flight for an exit row seat. If it's a $2,000 difference between W and J, without knowing the base W fare, in most cases I'd say a $500 premium per flight for the flat bed is well worth it.
Sorry I realised that but I couldn't change the thread topic. Yeh it would be Economy vs. Premium Economy, if thats the case I'll just stick to economy. Thank you so much and sorry on the confusion
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:44 pm

You could fly SYD to LAX/SFO/ONT with China Airlines in their Premium economy for under $2k AUD on many dates....then go on from there?

Not Oneworld of course.... but the product looks solid..and the price is bloody good...
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by seeyouatthepier
Sorry I realised that but I couldn't change the thread topic. Yeh it would be Economy vs. Premium Economy, if thats the case I'll just stick to economy. Thank you so much and sorry on the confusion
That is correct. You cannot change thread title. I just changed for you.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:10 pm

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
That is correct. You cannot change thread title. I just changed for you.

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
That's not true; one just has to click "edit post" -> "go advanced" and will be able to edit the thread title

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.