Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

BA Cancelled Asia Miles Awards Redemption Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Poster

First time poster- so apologize if this post is not in the correct place.

I've spent over a year saving points and planning a 2.5 week honeymoon with my fiance in Doha and the Maldives scheduled for this coming July (6 weeks away). While this isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, we've been so excited and this is such a bummer for us.

I received a call last night from an asia miles representative (who I had a very difficult time understanding) who casually told me our flight from JFK to Doha was cancelled by BA and that there was no other award availability at this time. This was a business class flight that required us to pay in excess of 1100 dollars in fees for each ticket along with the required points. There was no mention that any fees were ever paid, and I found the entire customer service experience to be infuriating as the rep was not conversational in English.

I am lost and do not know where to go from here. I've been told they "will keep checking" and "will let me know". I have no idea what the foregoing means, and the clock is meanwhile ticking on replacement flights. We have booked non-refundable hotels in both Doha and the Maldives, which I just locked in for cheaper rates few days ago since everything was in place.

I'm looking for any recommendations or advice on where to go from here. Thank you in advance.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
At a minimum, I would expect CX to open space for you on their own flights. Longer way to go but a nice savings vs. BA's 'award tax'.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by work2fly
At a minimum, I would expect CX to open space for you on their own flights. Longer way to go but a nice savings vs. BA's 'award tax'.
Thanks for the response, and it's at least comforting to know that there is a possible solution.

The only issue with your above suggestion is that flying through Hong Kong would add an additional 24 hours of total travel time and basically double the length of time it would take to get to Doha. I work crazy hours as a lawyer and can't spend an additional day flying.

I tried contacting BA directly but that was a worthless endeavor. I've called Asia Miles repeatedly hoping to get someone who I can communicate more easily with and was told a manager will call me with options. I'm surprised by how little information is available on this topic from a quick google search, as it's a pretty stressful situation with no clear procedure for solving.

Thanks again.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Don't despair. BA has a re-protection agreement with QR. The standard customer guidelines which apply to the cancellation of BA122/123 include redemption fares, so it is worth calling Cathay to discuss your options one more time.

See:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=6425
Old May 21, 2018, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
AM has ticketed you and they have the responsibility to sort you out
dont bother calling ba or qr or whoever, and insist to am that uve ticketed as such and they have the legal role to liaise and what not. Refuse to hang up except to raise the case to management.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by Carpinem
First time poster- so apologize if this post is not in the correct place.

I've spent over a year saving points and planning a 2.5 week honeymoon with my fiance in Doha and the Maldives scheduled for this coming July (6 weeks away). While this isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, we've been so excited and this is such a bummer for us.

I received a call last night from an asia miles representative (who I had a very difficult time understanding) who casually told me our flight from JFK to Doha was cancelled by BA and that there was no other award availability at this time. This was a business class flight that required us to pay in excess of 1100 dollars in fees for each ticket along with the required points. There was no mention that any fees were ever paid, and I found the entire customer service experience to be infuriating as the rep was not conversational in English.

I am lost and do not know where to go from here. I've been told they "will keep checking" and "will let me know". I have no idea what the foregoing means, and the clock is meanwhile ticking on replacement flights. We have booked non-refundable hotels in both Doha and the Maldives, which I just locked in for cheaper rates few days ago since everything was in place.

I'm looking for any recommendations or advice on where to go from here. Thank you in advance.
presume was only BA LHR-DOH that was cancelled? and not JFK-LHR-DOH correct?
wonder if you could just insist to fly the JFK-LHR leg then sort out rebooking in LHR with BA staff ( who would have taken over the booking already?)
Old May 21, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
....... who casually told me our flight from JFK to Doha was cancelled by BA and that there was no other award availability at this time. This was a business class flight that required us to pay in excess of 1100 dollars in fees for each ticket along with the required points. There was no mention that any fees were ever paid........
Looks to me, the valid (!) reason for BA to cancel your ticket JFK-LHR was the non-payment of the BA (-excessive) fees.

So, your first action would be to find out whether the fees were indeed not payed and second who is responsible for the non-payment.

Based on your quote ".... no mention that any fees were ever paid ...." suggests, you yourself did never pay these.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cambo
Looks to me, the valid (!) reason for BA to cancel your ticket JFK-LHR was the non-payment of the BA (-excessive) fees.

So, your first action would be to find out whether the fees were indeed not payed and second who is responsible for the non-payment.

Based on your quote ".... no mention that any fees were ever paid ...." suggests, you yourself did never pay these.
I paid all of the fees. If there is a way to have a ticket issued without paying the fees, please share it with the group.
ijgordon likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ermen
presume was only BA LHR-DOH that was cancelled? and not JFK-LHR-DOH correct?
wonder if you could just insist to fly the JFK-LHR leg then sort out rebooking in LHR with BA staff ( who would have taken over the booking already?)
You are correct, and thanks. This isn't a bad idea. My fiance's reservation is under her own Asia Miles number (different from mine), and she has still yet to be contacted in any way (kind of crazy) and this could work for her.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
AM has ticketed you and they have the responsibility to sort you out
dont bother calling ba or qr or whoever, and insist to am that uve ticketed as such and they have the legal role to liaise and what not. Refuse to hang up except to raise the case to management.
This is the best advice so far. I called again and refused to hang up though the rep did her best (maybe 5-6 attempts) to get me to agree to wait for a call back. She finally gave in and put me in touch with the manager who apparently hadn't done much of anything to resolve this issue. He is now going to look into a replacement flight and has promised to provide an update to me before he leaves for the day.

My mind is somewhat blown that I needed to do this to get anywhere.

Last edited by Carpinem; May 22, 2018 at 10:53 am Reason: Remove staff name
Old May 21, 2018, 8:56 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
This was a business class flight that required us to pay in excess of 1100 dollars in fees for each ticket along with the required points. There was no mention that any fees were ever paid,
Oh. Dealt with:

I paid all of the fees. If there is a way to have a ticket issued without paying the fees, please share it with the group.

Last edited by percysmith; May 21, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Old May 21, 2018, 9:03 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Prospero
Don't despair. BA has a re-protection agreement with QR. The standard customer guidelines which apply to the cancellation of BA122/123 include redemption fares, so it is worth calling Cathay to discuss your options one more time.

See:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=6425
Also in my experience, AM tends to call and panic customers on cancellations before any protection kicks in.

Whenever a partner cancels on a part of any AM redemption, AM's first and foremost reaction is to stiff the member with "refund law" (refund囉 - a disparaging Cantonese way to say (refund) is the only option left) - an attempt to browbeat/bully the member into accepting a refund of expiring miles:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post26060627
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post28436114

Refund is only one of three options provided to the passenger in 10.2.2 of CX's CoC:
- 10.2.2.1 rebook on CX flights
- 10.2.2.2 rebook on other airline's flights, or other mutually agreed forms of transport
- 10.2.2.3 refund

Agents either pretend or are not informed 10.2.2.2 rights exist. Since 10.2.2.1 normally doesn't work when a partner is involved, they take a mop handle to shove 10.2.2.3 refund up members' behinds.

This got so abusive I deleted my and every family members' real-life number with AM and CX bookings - they only get the voicemail-only mobile number I give to real estate agents and annoying salesmen.
lewisyu, Yoshi212 and Isochronous like this.

Last edited by percysmith; May 25, 2018 at 8:09 am
Old May 21, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
I paid all of the fees......
Then go to the next one in line, AM, which you already seem to have done. Did it work out for you ?
Old May 22, 2018, 10:09 am

Perhaps if you give dates there may be the chance of people being able to find alternative routes.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith

Refund is only one of three options provided to the passenger in 10.2.2 of CX's CoC:
- 10.2.2.1 rebook on CX flights
- 10.2.2.2 rebook on other airline's flights, or other mutually agreed forms of transport
- 10.2.2.3 refund

Agents either pretend or are not informed 10.2.2.2 rights exist. Since 10.2.2.1 normally doesn't work when a partner is involved, they take a mop handle to shove 10.2.2.3 refund up members' behinds.
Thank you! This was very helpful and seemed to ring a bell with the Manager. I am told I will receive a call tomorrow morning (let's see if they actually call).

Originally Posted by Cambo
Then go to the next one in line, AM, which you already seem to have done. Did it work out for you ?
Still in process - I am working with a new manager, as the manager I was working with never provided an update like he repeatedly promised to do. This new manager seems like she'll take the time to figure it out but will know more tomorrow.

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Perhaps if you give dates there may be the chance of people being able to find alternative routes.
I have non-refundable hotels - so would need to either extend trip (out of vacation days so not an option) or eat the cost on some of the hotel nights (really don't want to do this).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.