Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat block beside OWE

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Seat block beside OWE

I am just a poor OWE in CX's eyes, but I noticed something weird today on MMB seat selection (this is Sunday evening for Wed morning flight) in J.

When I select a seat, I notice that the seat beside is gets "blocked". This is for a 1-2-1 aircraft (only gets blocked in the middle rows of 2).

Something new?

Last edited by ermen; May 20, 2018 at 5:49 am
Old May 20, 2018, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ermen
I am just a poor OWE in CX's eyes, but I noticed something weird today on OLCI seat selection (this is Sunday evening for Wed morning flight) in J.

When I select a seat, I notice that the seat beside is gets "blocked". This is for a 1-2-1 aircraft (only gets blocked in the middle rows of 2).

Something new?
Now it gets even weirder - another pax who is OWS also gets a seat block!

And just for completeness - OWR doesn't get the seat block...
Old May 20, 2018, 5:48 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I have seen this behaviour for premium economy for OWE also.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:58 am
Original Poster

has this been going for a while now? never seen it before. i guess this particular flight is empty (J9)
Old May 20, 2018, 6:03 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Definitely was in place a year ago.
Old May 20, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ermen
has this been going for a while now? never seen it before. i guess this particular flight is empty (J9)
In my experience that "block" you experience isn't a block to another DM, for example. He/she can select it. There is some heirarchy to it. But a casual customer, no they can't online (although they usually can by calling, negating some of the benefit).

Same for the OWS. I'll bet a OWE can select the seat next to the OWS.

Ms. QRC is still presently GO (happily ready to become DM soon...I have some pleasure and dread about this arrangement....). If she selects a seat on an empty flight I can still always place myself next to her, as DM. However, if I book my seat first, she cannot select the one next to me. Make sense?

It has been this way for a while.
Old May 20, 2018, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Ms. QRC is still presently GO (happily ready to become DM soon...I have some pleasure and dread about this arrangement....). If she selects a seat on an empty flight I can still always place myself next to her, as DM. However, if I book my seat first, she cannot select the one next to me. Make sense?

It has been this way for a while.
ah i never knew / noticed this.
the OWS and myself OWE were on the same booking.. no wonder if errored out when I tried to select seats together (by me selecting my seat first)
Old May 20, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Just tried this in Y... In my upcoming HKG-PVG-HKG flight, if I make a dummy booking on the flight I booked, HKG-PVG can go down to as low as Q while PVG-HKG lowest available is V...

Guess what? For HKG-PVG I'm in 42G and 42F is blocked... And comparing the seat map on my booking and the dummy booking, 41F and 42E are also blocked (with 41F selectable in the dummy booking... Probably 41G and 42D are DM / OWE also)

But for PVG-HKG, I can choose the F seat next to my G seat in the dummy booking... Maybe S0 N0 Q0 is the seat block cutoff set in their system...

Last edited by sscywong; May 20, 2018 at 12:09 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 20, 2018, 2:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
Yes I’ve been seeing this for KA J too for many months, and it’s the same no matter I put in my CX DM or BA Gold/Emerald.
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I am flying HKG - SGN on a A350 in Y (3-3-3). I am DM and other half is SL. I sat us both on the aisle seats in the middle (D&G). As I am travelling with an infant I would love for the middle seat (E) to get block, if not...the person may want to relocate on their own accord

Online does not automatically block E. Do you think I will get any success if I call them?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by beach86
I am flying HKG - SGN on a A350 in Y (3-3-3). I am DM and other half is SL. I sat us both on the aisle seats in the middle (D&G). As I am travelling with an infant I would love for the middle seat (E) to get block, if not...the person may want to relocate on their own accord

Online does not automatically block E. Do you think I will get any success if I call them?
No. They don't block seats anymore. It sucks, but plan on someone sitting between you...or presumably swapping with the person you've kinda put in a bad spot.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC

Do you think that is fair to the person ending up in the E seat on a potentially full flight? - And before you answer, ask yourself this: would you be prepared to swap one of your aisle seats for the middle?
If you want three seats to yourself, you pay for it.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:29 am
Original Poster

what do you mean by online does not automatically block seat E? the block i was referring to above is really a soft block which prevents others from selecting the seat next t you.

not sure if you can see the "block" on the CX MMB system, but if you select D and G, maybe you can check expert flyer to see if the E seat has a block next to it.
if you don't have an EF subscription happy to look up the EF seat map if you post your details.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Even if it's blocked now, when loading goes up the block may get lifted...

I'd say... Be prepared to swap seat with your fellow E seat passenger, or buy that seat
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
so u want a seat without paying basically.

yeah cx will do that for u no problem. they might even block another seat to leave ur baby items

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.