Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX899 May 6, J Customers asked to downgrade because of bugs in crew rest area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC DM

My colleague just arrived off CX899, EWR-HKG. He had done instant upgrade at check-in, PEY->J. After 15 minutes in the lounge he was paged and supervisor apologized and informed him they were moving him back down to PEY. He tells me then they made an announcement asking for 4 additional J passengers to voluntarily downgrade. Reason given what that there were bugs in the crew rest area and they needed the J seats for crew rest.

2 passengers volunteered off the bat. Then a waiting game started as they asked for 2 additional passengers and warned that the flight would be canceled if they couldn't get the volunteers. 2 more stepped up and the plane ended up leaving about an hour late from EWR.

My colleague was seated next to one of the volunteers and was told they were offered upgrade vouchers and $3000 for compensation. Perhaps the holdouts negotiated for more. The downgraded pax also received J class meal service in PEY. My colleague didn't get anything except for 15 mins of happiness thinking his instant upgrade worked. Then brought back to reality.

Seriously, bugs in the crew area?

Last edited by synthkeys; May 6, 2018 at 11:26 pm Reason: Updated to reflect change in compensation
Old May 6, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by synthkeys
My colleague just arrived off CX899, EWR-HKG. He had done instant upgrade at check-in, PEY->J. After 15 minutes in the lounge he was paged and supervisor apologized and informed him they were moving him back down to PEY. He tells me then they made an announcement asking for 4 additional J passengers to voluntarily downgrade. Reason given what that there were bugs in the crew rest area and they needed the J seats for crew rest.

2 passengers volunteered off the bat. Then a waiting game started as they asked for 2 additional passengers and warned that the flight would be canceled if they couldn't get the volunteers. 2 more stepped up and the plane ended up leaving about an hour late from EWR.

My colleague was seated next to one of the volunteers and was told they were offered upgrade vouchers and $300 for compensation. Perhaps the holdouts negotiated for more. The downgraded pax also received J class meal service in PEY. My colleague didn't get anything except for 15 mins of happiness thinking his instant upgrade worked. Then brought back to reality.

Seriously, bugs in the crew area?
Bed bugs maybe...more concerned about the compensation.

$300 seems pretty low and upgrade voucher as many have pointed out is pretty useless....not unless CX will make it bookable,
Old May 6, 2018, 8:35 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I would also be concerned about where else the bugs are...
Old May 6, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Can't they just spray insect killers?
Old May 6, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
If the upgrade already cleared, shouldn't the upgraded pax be eligible for compensation as well?
Old May 6, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: CX, Hyatt
Presume those upgrade vouchers are A-cards? Not sure but thought A-card is not that hard to clear if there's seats?
Old May 6, 2018, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510
If the upgrade already cleared, shouldn't the upgraded pax be eligible for compensation as well?
I was thinking the same thing, OP could ask his friend to send a complaint to CRD and see if they will give him any compensation.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd

$300 seems pretty low and upgrade voucher as many have pointed out is pretty useless....not unless CX will make it bookable,
Sorry, I misreported the compensation amount, looks like the offer was for $3000 USD.
seawolf and FlyPointyEnd like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by PacificSunrise
Presume those upgrade vouchers are A-cards? Not sure but thought A-card is not that hard to clear if there's seats?
Considering you are on paid JCL the seat is confirmed when you picked your flight, they should do the same as this an involuntary downgrade. the $300 should just be gravy.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking the same thing, OP could ask his friend to send a complaint to CRD and see if they will give him any compensation.
I just had lunch with my colleague and I tried convincing him to make a complaint. I told him I thought he would get something, but he's not the complaining type .
Old May 6, 2018, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by synthkeys
I just had lunch with my colleague and I tried convincing him to make a complaint. I told him I thought he would get something, but he's not the complaining type .
getting CX to pay up is getting harder and harder....my pants got damaged on the A350 last March, they finally told me they will reimburse me, its been 4 weeks....still haven't been credited to my account.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: MPCGO
Considering you are on paid JCL the seat is confirmed when you picked your flight, they should do the same as this an involuntary downgrade. the $300 should just be gravy.
USD3000 still is low for a trans-Pacific flight. Had an overbooked DL from LGA to PIT last year and the compensation for the last few passengers was at USD2500.

Reason for the downgrade request was weird. I have a couple of upgrade vouchers on hand, and I don't know how "useless" they are as I travel J long haul and am hesitant to use it for short or medium haul flights, so I guess I'm screwed when it comes to that as compensation.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
I would also be concerned about where else the bugs are...
J Seats. i've gotten an A-card out of it...
Old May 8, 2018, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mbamejia
USD3000 still is low for a trans-Pacific flight. Had an overbooked DL from LGA to PIT last year and the compensation for the last few passengers was at USD2500.

Reason for the downgrade request was weird. I have a couple of upgrade vouchers on hand, and I don't know how "useless" they are as I travel J long haul and am hesitant to use it for short or medium haul flights, so I guess I'm screwed when it comes to that as compensation.
its not "weird". they managed to bluff the pax that they would cancel the flight. so people would take it.
if you flew some ex-TPE/BKK/CHN flight 3000 USD is more than 50% of ur ticket.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: MPCGO
Originally Posted by kaka
its not "weird". they managed to bluff the pax that they would cancel the flight. so people would take it.
if you flew some ex-TPE/BKK/CHN flight 3000 USD is more than 50% of ur ticket.
Weird, but still effective . And I suppose it wasn't a bump off so no comparison to the DL offering, but an offer of US$2500 compensation for the short 45 minute flight plus rebooking to the next flight was pretty attractive last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.