Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

KA to launch DVO (Davao, the Philippines) & KNO (Medan, Indonesia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KA to launch DVO (Davao, the Philippines) & KNO (Medan, Indonesia)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 5:06 pm

I would agree Medan is a possible choice for KA, but the schedule of Medan is not too good.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
Originally Posted by Kachjc
are you seriously suggesting that Medan has more revenue potential than Seattle/Istanbul/Munich?
Did I understand correctly the aircraft would be an A320? If so then you can't really compare vs. STL/IST/MUC
Old May 2, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by HaikalS
Did I understand correctly the aircraft would be an A320? If so then you can't really compare vs. STL/IST/MUC
yes you can
routes are planned 3-4 years in advance
slots are scarce
Old May 3, 2018, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by HaikalS
STL is St. Louis by the way. Seattle is SEA.
HaikalS likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:59 am

are you seriously suggesting that Medan has more revenue potential than Seattle/Istanbul/Munich?
I only implied that with 3x per week on A320 by KA the risk is so much lower than to SEA/IST/MUC which requires widebody (CX) and there is already competitor DL/TK/LH on each routes. It's more like they testing a new market that growing and without non stop competition. If they care so much about revenue, they won't even bother to launch 3x weekly with just A320.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I think CX's strategy is to identify potential markets with no direct service to HKG hence they go into a new destination unchallenged....Makes good sense.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I think CX's strategy is to identify potential markets with no direct service to HKG hence they go into a new destination unchallenged....Makes good sense.
Stockholm Vienna etc all did not have service but they got launched by competitors cause CX thought cities like
Medan and Nanning had more revenue potential...
Old May 3, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Stockholm Vienna etc all did not have service but they got launched by competitors cause CX thought cities like
It could be, I don't know... but long haul need more planes to operate (it's less than a A320-day to open DVO+KNO but you need 2-3 large birds for daily long haul), besides it seems fuel economy matters more too, so those kinda need to wait for A350 deliveries to start
Old May 3, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: CX, BA
Originally Posted by bart simpson
I believe price is one of the main issue - CTS is highly tourist-driven and HX/UO has been trying very hard in recent years to build their brandname in HK. Given that more people in HK (especially the younger generation) now are price sensitive rather than being loyal, I'm not surprised HX has a higher frequency to CTS. Same goes for OKA too (and probably DPS to certain extent)

For MUC and VIE, I think majority of the LH/OS passengers are on connecting flights and not much premium load again - or else CX would not have pulled out of DUS route as well.
Scheduling has been one of the strengths of CX. However, as you have mentioned, HX offers more flights than CX to several destinations, such as OKA, CTS, DPS and so on. Then, CX is losing its competitiveness again. Not only do lower prices swing customers to its competitors, scheduling does too.

Not having daily flights sometimes is really a big issue.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by marcommm
Scheduling has been one of the strengths of CX. However, as you have mentioned, HX offers more flights than CX to several destinations, such as OKA, CTS, DPS and so on. Then, CX is losing its competitiveness again. Not only do lower prices swing customers to its competitors, scheduling does too.

Not having daily flights sometimes is really a big issue.
Cx loses competitiveness for these leisure oriented destinations only.
And for leisure oriented travellers, they care for fare more over schedule.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by watery
It could be, I don't know... but long haul need more planes to operate (it's less than a A320-day to open DVO+KNO but you need 2-3 large birds for daily long haul), besides it seems fuel economy matters more too, so those kinda need to wait for A350 deliveries to start
I love this "Multi-quote" function...anyway as watery has pointed out, it could also be just waiting for a/c deliveries. It's harder to mount long haul flights like the ones you highlighted because they would need more aircrafts to do it.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by TomYoung
Davao looks interesting. Lots of fresh fruit and seafood to fill the belly. Not sure about Medan. I would have preferred Balikpapan with daylight flights.
It's a A320 - not much belly to fill (c.2,000kg cargo capacity)
Old May 3, 2018, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I love this "Multi-quote" function...anyway as watery has pointed out, it could also be just waiting for a/c deliveries. It's harder to mount long haul flights like the ones you highlighted because they would need more aircrafts to do it.
exactly which shoes a lack of planning
because if CX follows this route of no new routes if someone else operates it they will have to eventually shut down the entire operation....

silly strategy
Old May 4, 2018, 12:30 am

exactly which shoes a lack of planning
because if CX follows this route of no new routes if someone else operates it they will have to eventually shut down the entire operation....

silly strategy
I didn't say CX will eventually shut down routes if completion comes us. They invest in developing destinations but at the same time I think being a pioneer also helps in securing their position in that particular market.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: CX, BA
Originally Posted by Aus106080
Cx loses competitiveness for these leisure oriented destinations only.
And for leisure oriented travellers, they care for fare more over schedule.
Fair point. I am just afraid that at some point where competitors continue to add flights and have much better schedule and lower fares than CX/KA, more destinations will end up like BKI.

Not all destinations are like Maldives where CX can beat its lower fare competitor, in this case HX, easily. Just some extra information, HX cancelled all flights to MLE in April and May because she claimed that the travel alerts caused a significant drop in group passenger travel. If I remember correctly, the previous news uploaded on HX website, which has gone right now, stated that the cancellations in April had affected eighty something passengers. That is pathetic considering it should be a 3 weekly A330 service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.