Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

MPC English speaking agent really horrific at English

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold

This is a huge surprise (maybe the norm to come). Cathay Pacific has always been the organization in Hong Kong that has agents that speak great to perfect English. Until today. I have called in to Cathay Pacific MPC as usual and wanted to do a date change. The agent speaks really bad English with a very heavy accent. I was so struggling to understand her that I asked if there's another English-speaking agent I can talk to. She said they are all busy at the moment and I'm welcome to call back and try to be redirected. Tried again, it's her again, so I said forget it, can I speak my broken Cantonese to you (I have self-taught Cantonese from watching Hong Kong movies), and she said go for it. Apparently she can understand my broken Cantonese better than I can understand her. So at the end what I needed is done.

Just curious, has any other English speakers here calling into MPC have experienced the same or notice the degradation of English-speaking abilities of MPC agents?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Seemingly, customers, too.
flubber, kaka, nightkhan and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
This is a huge surprise (maybe the norm to come). Cathay Pacific has always been the organization in Hong Kong that has agents that speak great to perfect English. Until today. I have called in to Cathay Pacific MPC as usual and wanted to do a date change. The agent speaks really bad English with a very heavy accent. I was so struggling to understand her that I asked if there's another English-speaking agent I can talk to. She said they are all busy at the moment and I'm welcome to call back and try to be redirected. Tried again, it's her again, so I said forget it, can I speak my broken Cantonese to you (I have self-taught Cantonese from watching Hong Kong movies), and she said go for it. Apparently she can understand my broken Cantonese better than I can understand her. So at the end what I needed is done.

Just curious, has any other English speakers here calling into MPC have experienced the same or notice the degradation of English-speaking abilities of MPC agents?
The English in your post isn't exactly flawless.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
But, the OP was not looking for the MPC agent to speak flawless English.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
It is the latest trend: the 50 step laughing at the inadequacy of the 100 step.
kaka, AmD950 and bart simpson like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat

What often works well is, when both parties speak their native language and listen to the foreign language. For a bystander this sounds pretty stupid, though it's quite effective. Requires a little practice though, to not jump to the other language, while speaking.

Last edited by Cambo; Apr 8, 2018 at 12:43 am
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM

Never had any issues on this front.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:59 am

Never had horrific English from MPC agents.

But I have noticed that the agents answering (after I have pressed 1 for English) are HK agents (nothing wrong with that) which means that English line is handled by HK and not Manila call centre. I thought from reading the posts here that English line is manned in Manila? Or is there is a difference between tiers? Eg Silver, Gold, Diamond?

Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:04 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
My past few calls to MPC have been picked up by HK. And I’m not diamond. It made me think they’ve shut down the Manila call centre.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free

It's a lot easier to understand a non-native English speaker when the listener is fluent in English. You're not, so we can't tell if the miscommunication is because the MPC agent's spoken English was poor, or because your English listening skills are.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: CX Gold
Whenever I call MPC, there’s an option to choose between English and Tagalog (Filipino) language. I choose Tagalog everytime, but ended up speaking to HK agents.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold

that is a lesson in humility. You are complaining about a heavy accent and the customer service agent did her best trying to help you while your Cantonese was really limited . Next time don’t be rude speak slowly and Listen carefully what the other party is trying to say to you

Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I always seem to get a lovely Filipina named Gemma when I call the AM English line for redemption bookings.
07L 25R likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: Asiamiles
Originally Posted by sxc
My past few calls to MPC have been picked up by HK. And I’m not diamond. It made me think they’ve shut down the Manila call centre.
I share the same feeling when calling this week.
Surprisingly all the calls (English) were picked up instantly.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
It's a lot easier to understand a non-native English speaker when the listener is fluent in English. You're not, so we can't tell if the miscommunication is because the MPC agent's spoken English was poor, or because your English listening skills are.
Absolutely not true. It is easier to understand a non-native English speaker when you also have a similar accent.
Many people in America cannot understand different accents, because they don't have much experience with it. Like if you outside of California they think Indians are like Apu and cannot understand them. But if you are from the Bay Area, you obviously understand Indian-accented English because it is so commonly heard.
Some people cannot understand East Asian accents, and some cannot do European accents. It all depends on what you have been exposed to.

I used to think it is true if the listener is fluent in English they can understand all accented English but that is absolutely not true. What is true is that people can understand my accent because I speak Hollywood English (well, from California). So in England, driving through the countryside I had no idea what they were saying, but they could definitely understand me very well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.