Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay vs. ANA F

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Cathay vs. ANA F

Hi All,

My gf and I are flying HND - LAX later this year and I managed to snag us two seats in F. We've only flown F once before on SQ 1 but we were both deathly ill and couldn't even enjoy the flight. Last week, I found one award sport on Cathay F from HND - HKG - LAX on the same date and decided to book myself on that flight as well.

We don't mind traveling separately, even if its not our preference but which option do you guys think would be the more enjoyable flight experience overall? Food, seat/bed comfort and lounges are all equally important to me. Food I imagine would be better on ANA departing Japan. I wouldn't think the lounges in HND for CX would be as nice as the ANA F, but I would obviously get to experience the ones in Hong Kong and I'll get an extra 6 hours of flying in F. Not sure, what do you guys think of the overall experiences between the two?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Don't have high expectations for ANA food. It's okay but hit-or-miss on whether it's better than CX. Of course, sometimes CX can have lousy food too. Nor is NH's F lounge that great. Very crowded, limited food, but flying ex-HND you don't need to arrive that early anyways and why spend more time in an airport when you could spend that time in Tokyo instead? 90 minutes would be plenty for a quick shower and a drink in the lounge before boarding.

I personally give the nod to CX, though in your case I'd just stick with NH in order to travel together and avoid significant backtracking through HKG. CX lounges are nice but no lounge is THAT nice.

Plus NH serves Hibiki 21 which is getting harder and harder to find on the ground.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
flying CX F out of HND you would use the JAL F lounge which is quite nice in HND. The CX lounge there is J only but also good.

I'd probably fly CX if you don't care about backtracking... it is much nicer than ANA.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by kar don
flying CX F out of HND you would use the JAL F lounge which is quite nice in HND. The CX lounge there is J only but also good.

I'd probably fly CX if you don't care about backtracking... it is much nicer than ANA.

While there is some food I prefer in JAL F lounge, all in all, I think the CX lounge in HND is nicer than JAL F lounge.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like I should be leaning towards CX if I don't care at all about the backtrack. Appreciate it!
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:05 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Ex asia ana has better food (cx simply isnt there)
however, ana in general isnt as good as jal in-flight. I believe i was lucky w crew the flight i flew when @cjwong88 whom i flew w discussed w me. Ex usa all airlines hv bad food, thanks to the kitchen.

i like their live tv tho, and i slept rather well on ana. (Then again, as i said on the other thread my sleeping habits may vary even on a good bed). Also, i think they have better drinks vs cx but a worse ife besides livetv. i would assume wifi isnt a big deal but nh has it yet cx doesnt.

otoh, i quite like their food menu in ana f, its a good change of things where u get j proper japanese dons or japanese western meals. Its a good change if you go to cx lounges twice a month along w the worsening pp quality.
Would i fly them again? If i was gonna fly F and i had the equal amount of *miles as i have on ow, yes. Or if it cost me the same as what it cost me to fly cx/jl F
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
While there is some food I prefer in JAL F lounge, all in all, I think the CX lounge in HND is nicer than JAL F lounge.
i disagree but maybe im biased to the other way. Ure are less likely to run into disruptive pax in jl than in cx.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: most of them
I think both are good and you'll enjoy either. ANA's avod isn't the greatest when it comes to selection. I think CX is better in that regard.

I like ANA's mattress pad which makes for a more comfortable sleep. Unfortunately their suite blocks most of the windows which kind of sucks, although obviously you don't get to use the windows much. (of course that only matters if you have a window suite.)

And of course CX has only a max of 6 pax in F compared to 8 on ANA.

Both have good service in general. CX has a great reputation for anticipating your needs. My last ANA F flight had much more personable service than I recall in the past with them.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Be warned that HND-LAX on NH doesn't get the full meal service (even in F) — since it's a redeye you'll get an amuse bouche after takeoff and breakfast/light meal before landing — you can see the menu here: https://www.ana.co.jp/int/inflight/g...f_201803_m.pdf and it's much more limited than even say the daytime NRT-LAX.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:35 pm
Suspended

But the lounge menu is very interestingly good for japanese options. I would do this if i have the chance. Add on to that you fly from hnd, not nrt.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

You guys are great, thanks so much for the replies. So much to consider and it doesn't sound like we can go wrong either way.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
CX F seats is far more open and comfortable......ANA's F class is like a box....very strange, I felt claustrophobic in ANA F yet Cathay I have no problem? IMHO.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
CX F seats is far more open and comfortable......ANA's F class is like a box....very strange, I felt claustrophobic in ANA F yet Cathay I have no problem? IMHO.
wow really... firdt time i hear! Guess thats to do w 4 across vs 3?
how about the suites w doors
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Both are excellent airlines in F.
Personally, I would never do the backtrack to HKG with the risk of irrops and possibly no F on HND-HKG.

Both seats are excellent. It is a matter of taste. NH seats are front facing, wider than side-ways CX seats at the feet, narrower at the shoulder.
CX F food/wines are not great, I like NH better.
And it is NOT true that you will only get Amuse Bouche and then breakfast. You can choose from a wide selection of dishes served any time during the flight.But you won't get the impressive Washoku if it is a late night flight.
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:50 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
Both are excellent airlines in F.
Personally, I would never do the backtrack to HKG with the risk of irrops and possibly no F on HND-HKG.

Both seats are excellent. It is a matter of taste. NH seats are front facing, wider than side-ways CX seats at the feet, narrower at the shoulder.
CX F food/wines are not great, I like NH better.
And it is NOT true that you will only get Amuse Bouche and then breakfast. You can choose from a wide selection of dishes served any time during the flight.But you won't get the impressive Washoku if it is a late night flight.
I agree fully!

I have flown TPAC many times in F on both carriers. I love them both! And I think that the food on both is about the same quality.

CX's only advantage is their PJ's, even though NH's improved PJ's last year are much better than their previous quality.

However, I would NOT add many hours to the TYO-LAX trip by connected in HKG!

I have a personal rule: When it's time to head home, go non-stop if at all possible!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.