Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific looks to food revamp to help boost flagging fortunes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:15 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

https://sc.mp/2IEXScF

Including a quote from a FlyerTalker
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by sxc

The airline said changes included a bigger variety of food on board and flexible eating times in business class. It plans a similar revamp of the food range and quality in economy class.

DoD in economy? Certainly will help differentiate them from the competition....
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: MPCGO
"The airline said it had “no plans” to allow economy class passengers to pay to visit its lounges to raise extra revenue. It also said it would not tighten access criteria for premium travellers wanting to use the facilities."

Might not be a bad idea to convert the Cabin into a pay per use lounge, though.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by sxc

Pleased to hear they recognize they have a catering problem. Not sure if I have much confidence in them to address it well. Hope I am proven wrong though.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
About time they did something about the food!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by sxc

I guess they are starting to clutch at straws - I was on CX636 from SIN to HKG earlier this week, and I recognized the passenger seated next to me as a prominent law firm partner. The ISM came up to do her usual DM greeting to the law firm partner and added at the end "I hope you will continue to give us business by flying with us". First time I've heard that on a flight!
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:33 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
Pleased to hear they recognize they have a catering problem. Not sure if I have much confidence in them to address it well. Hope I am proven wrong though.
I think we’ve heard them say there’s a problem for a while. But nothing has changed for years! Let’s hope this is the time real action happens.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Bring back full meals on 714 and 659.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Food is the problem? Really? A significant number of travelers will weigh their options and in the end make their decision based on the food?

Food might factor into the decision of whether premium is worth paying, but I think the magnitude and amount of the premium is a much more significant driver.

I was looking at RT MNL-HKG last week. Compared biz class of PAL and CX. It was a 25%+ premium and several hundred dollars more to fly CX... for a 2 hour flight.

I was willing to pay a premium to fly CX, but not that much.

Food never factored into my decision.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:52 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
Food is the problem? Really? A significant number of travelers will weigh their options and in the end make their decision based on the food?

Food might factor into the decision of whether premium is worth paying, but I think the magnitude and amount of the premium is a much more significant driver.

I was looking at RT MNL-HKG last week. Compared biz class of PAL and CX. It was a 25%+ premium and several hundred dollars more to fly CX... for a 2 hour flight.

I was willing to pay a premium to fly CX, but not that much.

Food never factored into my decision.
Agree. You can offer Apartments for peanuts from AUH-JFK, but it will be of little interest to me because that is not where I want to fly.

I've grown way too time-hungry for an FTer, sadly
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by percysmith
Agree. You can offer Apartments for peanuts from AUH-JFK, but it will be of little interest to me because that is not where I want to fly.

I've grown way too time-hungry for an FTer, sadly
I have been to MNL many times and if I have to fly MNL to JFK again I would do it on the Apartments on EK since it is $5,500 RT, which is about the same as J on other carriers. So sometimes you get lucky and it is where you want to fly.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Let's not argue where we put the time bar for decent food: 2, 3, 4, 11 hours.
We are all different regarding food, comfort and money.

Luckily, I don't travel regional as much as I used to.
But I remember these evening flights returning from work away, rushing to the airport in traffic with angst to miss the flight and finally relaxing in a comfortable seat, with decent dinner and wine, usually a nap too (most of my co-seaters were napping too).
But CX J food, whether regional or longhaul, has become mediocre and wines undrinkable.

Pricing is clearly a serious and complex issue. Some are perfectly happy to sit in narrow Y seats during 3 hours (meaning a add 30+ min to flight time) with little food, but I am not. Business class is not all about price. But a product is often judged on its weakest link. And food/wine is a very weak part of CX product.
I am very happy that CX publicly acknowledges it.

BTW: Remember that many business pax fly on company tickets and corporate prices can be very different from public prices.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
To each his own, food may not be the biggest factor for me, but having subpar food on F and J long haul flights is a major problem. I had 4 TPAC F and 4 regional J in one week in January. The main course on F was not attractive at all and have been all the same for as far as I remember. I had main course on the first F flight, on the second F I skipped the main course and went for the snack instead. Starting from the 3rd F, the FA fetched the J menu to see if there was anything that would interest me at all, again I went for the snack on the J menu. On my last F flight, I asked for the cup noodles from Y. Now you know how bad the food is on F and J!

The food at the lounge is way better than onboard.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:45 am

Good to see that CX has admitted its food needs improvement. With award winning lounges around the world, especially in HKG they should capitalise on that.

For the late night European/USA/Aus and regional departures, I would like to see a much reduced meal service for F/J passengers. With lounge access and superior meal options at all the CX lounges, wouldn’t it be better to eat a decent meal waiting for the flight and then maximise sleep/watch movies etc onboard? Especially on Aus (even worse on regional) flights when the first 2 hours is meal service with lights on max, 4 hours sleep then lights on again for the last 2 hours for bfast! For these flights I would have thought the priority is rest and sleep for most people, so after take off hot towels, water bottles and amenity kits then lights out!

Understand that it may not work for everyone, and of course CX should have some one tray meals available for a quick feed if people do want to eat.
For the long hauls just stock up more snack items like the wanton noodles and burgers, and then of course serve the full meal before arrival.

Day flights are a different story, although the same principle can apply; eat better food in the lounge.
I remember reading somewhere that BA did this sort of sleeper service eastbound to London, perhaps CX could try it too. Just my two cents.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:02 am

How about staffing the cabins properly (1-2 extra crew per cabin) so service can be overhauled to introduce proper dine on demand a la QR style.

That way, those who want to sleep can sleep, light snack can light snack and those who wanna stuff their face can stuff.

Also note people may be in different timezones depending on where they transit from, tight-con pax may not have time to visit the lounges at all.

Premium cabin isn't about working to the lowest denomination and expect to get away with it because a select few suggest things *can* be cut. It is about offering choice and flexibility to suit people's diverse needs.
ijgordon and royng like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.