Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access Economy BA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Lounge Access Economy BA

Apologies as still a newbie, and I imagine this is a silly (and very cheeky) question, however, on searching the forum I could not find an answer.

I will be doing Cathay Business from Manila to Hong Kong arriving around 3pm.

The same day (11pm) I will be flying BA from Hong Kong to London in World Traveller (economy).

I know I should have access to the The Arrival, but is there any way at all for me to get into the Business lounges airside given this is a same-day departure on another OneWorld carrier? Apologies again, but I promise I've looked at the other threads!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:56 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
No you won’t be able to get into a lounge. Relevant Oneworld rules state
  • Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
    • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
    • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
    • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
No you won’t be able to get into a lounge. Relevant Oneworld rules state
  • Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
    • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
    • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
    • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
Thank you - apologies that I didn't see this 5 hour rule previously.

I guess its the arrivals lounge for 6 hours for me!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Mbrunz
Thank you - apologies that I didn't see this 5 hour rule previously.

I guess its the arrivals lounge for 6 hours for me!
5 hours isnt really the key point for you, MNL isnt close. It's more like, "Lounge access follows the longhaul sector, not shorthaul one (if they're different)."

Unfortunately, The Arrival sucks. I totally don't recommend spending 6 hours there (or even 1 hour there). I'd rather sit in the airside section of the airport at a restaurant, fast food joint, or just sitting in the endless extra seats watching planes. There is free WiFi fyi throughout HKIA which is ironically equal to Kroger faster than the CX lounge wifis.

If you are obsessed with only getting free food and really on a tight budget then I guess sit in The Arrival for 6 hours. But otherwise, I recommend shelling out as little as $10 USD if you're hungry and doing something else.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
I will be flying BA from Hong Kong to London in World Traveller (economy).

I know I should have access to the The Arrival, but is there any way at all for me to get into the Business lounges airside given this is a same-day departure on another OneWorld carrier?
Try asking here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...er-thread.html
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by QRC3288
5 hours isnt really the key point for you, MNL isnt close. It's more like, "Lounge access follows the longhaul sector, not shorthaul one (if they're different)."

Unfortunately, The Arrival sucks. I totally don't recommend spending 6 hours there (or even 1 hour there). I'd rather sit in the airside section of the airport at a restaurant, fast food joint, or just sitting in the endless extra seats watching planes. There is free WiFi fyi throughout HKIA which is ironically equal to Kroger faster than the CX lounge wifis.

If you are obsessed with only getting free food and really on a tight budget then I guess sit in The Arrival for 6 hours. But otherwise, I recommend shelling out as little as $10 USD if you're hungry and doing something else.
I spent more than three hours in the Arrival before. It was not great, but I felt better than outside as I could pull out my PC to do some work. I also took a shower.

Originally Posted by jacobsleather
It is great if someone can guest you in.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I spent more than three hours in the Arrival before. It was not great, but I felt better than outside as I could pull out my PC to do some work. I also took a shower.

It is great if someone can guest you in.
Thanks for your help.

Will give this thread a shot, although not going to get my hopes up!
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
At HKIA I don't think I'd spend 8 hours in the departure lounges even if I could get in (or the OP who can't).
Leave for a few hours on the Airport Express, go to the other terminal and catch a movie, etc.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: MPC Gold
To the OP, there's also Plaza Premium Lounges that you can enter for a fee or even free if you have the right credit card! :-)
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Thanks for your help.

Will give this thread a shot, although not going to get my hopes up!
I agree with ricktoronto that if you have eight hours to spare, you may take the Airport Express into the City and have a nice harbour view dinner.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone - this forum is full of people with good advice!

Hopefully one day, I'll be the person handing out advice to others...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.