Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Claiming CPs and AMs on Malaysia Airlines POUG (MHupgrade)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:59 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Hello everyone,

I have tried to look for a definitive answer on this, but couldn't find an answer.

Does anyone have any experience with crediting a Malaysia Airlines flight (after being upgraded with MHUpgrade), and awarded the CPs and Asia Miles for the original booking class?

I ask this because, I have a flight in J on MH coming up, and apparently it is possible to do an MHUpgrade to First Class. I understand a successful bid would change the fare class to P, which earns nothing with MPC, though my original travel class is D Class (Business Flexible), which earns CPs and Asia Miles.

Thanks for your time!

Clubeurope
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Additionally, does anyone have any experience getting/retro-claiming CPs and AMs based on the original booking class (after the flight as been upgraded through some sort of an upgrade scheme), and receiving the expected points?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Hello everyone,

I have tried to look for a definitive answer on this, but couldn't find an answer.

Does anyone have any experience with crediting a Malaysia Airlines flight (after being upgraded with MHUpgrade), and awarded the CPs and Asia Miles for the original booking class?

I ask this because, I have a flight in J on MH coming up, and apparently it is possible to do an MHUpgrade to First Class. I understand a successful bid would change the fare class to P, which earns nothing with MPC, though my original travel class is D Class (Business Flexible), which earns CPs and Asia Miles.

Thanks for your time!

Clubeurope
I am in the same situation as you, so I sorted this out.

Once you do the upgrade, you get ticketed in a class which does not earn miles, not even when upgrading J->F .......
So, you can not claim these trips, not at MH nor at CX.

It's pretty well hidden, I can't find it back, but it is written somewhere on the MH site.

If you go for the points/miles, refrain from the upgrade.
(Apart from the points, the charge an arm and a leg for the J->F upgrade)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: MPCGO
I made a successful MHUpgrade bid from KUL to MNL last April from Y to J. Miles and CP credited are in the original booking class to my AM and MPC.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
By the book, it does not work. Recently got f'd over by this on an AA SWU segment of which I couldn't get any CP or miles, but too late to credit elsewhere!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by mbamejia
I made a successful MHUpgrade bid from KUL to MNL last April from Y to J. Miles and CP credited are in the original booking class to my AM and MPC.
That's intriguing. Could it be, you already did have the boarding passes for the original class and did submit that, with the original ticket ?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:15 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
I sometimes do the MHUpgrade from KUL-MNL and normally I buy a K or M class economy ticket to get 10 CP each way.

But the upgrade to business I'm given an I class ticket and this isn't eligible for CP points

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ub-points.html
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: MPCGO
Originally Posted by Cambo
That's intriguing. Could it be, you already did have the boarding passes for the original class and did submit that, with the original ticket ?
I quoted my AM/MPC number at the time of booking the Y ticket. Went ahead and bid for the MHUpgrade both ways and was successful in the KUL-MNL leg only. Got credited for AM/MPC miles/points for Y both ways.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:21 am
Original Poster

I am in the same situation as you, so I sorted this out.

Once you do the upgrade, you get ticketed in a class which does not earn miles, not even when upgrading J->F .......
So, you can not claim these trips, not at MH nor at CX.

It's pretty well hidden, I can't find it back, but it is written somewhere on the MH site.

If you go for the points/miles, refrain from the upgrade.
(Apart from the points, the charge an arm and a leg for the J->F upgrade)
Thanks for your reply Cambo. I understand that you are reticketed into a class that doesn't earn miles, but as per the terms and conditions of MHUpgrade, you should be able to accrue the miles from the original booking class (line 25, T&C). At the MH forum, I read that people are automatically credited the original miles when crediting to MH Enrich, and I also read that people who credit to British Airways also receive the miles (however requiring some manual intervention, and submitting the original ticket).
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
By the book, it does not work. Recently got f'd over by this on an AA SWU segment of which I couldn't get any CP or miles, but too late to credit elsewhere!
that's unfortunate to hear

Originally Posted by blum81
I sometimes do the MHUpgrade from KUL-MNL and normally I buy a K or M class economy ticket to get 10 CP each way.

But the upgrade to business I'm given an I class ticket and this isn't eligible for CP points

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ub-points.html
Did you try to do a retroclaim, blum81?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbamejia
I quoted my AM/MPC number at the time of booking the Y ticket. Went ahead and bid for the MHUpgrade both ways and was successful in the KUL-MNL leg only. Got credited for AM/MPC miles/points for Y both ways.
Was this automatic or did you have to retroclaim, Mbamejia?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate your input.

However, I still remain perplexed by the conflicting responses, especially when Mbamejia reported success.

I understand that you still get the original miles and TPs if you credit to BAEC, based on reports by BAEC members on both the BA forum and the MH forum. Despite that, it is said that it requires manual intervention/retroclaim. Though that said it would be nice to be able to credit to CX and CPs and AMs, as I am nearing the threshold to DM.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope
Thanks for your reply Cambo. I understand that you are reticketed into a class that doesn't earn miles, but as per the terms and conditions of MHUpgrade, you should be able to accrue the miles from the original booking class (line 25, T&C). At the MH forum, I read that people are automatically credited the original miles when crediting to MH Enrich, and I also read that people who credit to British Airways also receive the miles (however requiring some manual intervention, and submitting the original ticket).
Thanks, I actually skipped the upgrade offer, I considered USD 2K for a one-way upgrade J->F pretty well over the top for a seat that is only a little bigger then the best J seat on the A350 (3A)........

The new ticket with boarding passes will show the I class, which does not give accrual on CX (according the book, no idea what the real life situation is).

I plan to use the MH trip to get the OWE. Compared to CX, MH is a "little" step down. Lounges, Lounge Wifi, IT, booking options, seating onboard. MH Food is good, though I have myself limited complains about CX food (read: the NAN). MH staff can be a hit or miss, my last MH leg, last week, did have really excellent cabin crew.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I actually skipped the upgrade offer, I considered USD 2K for a one-way upgrade J->F pretty well over the top for a seat that is only a little bigger then the best J seat on the A350 (3A)........

The new ticket with boarding passes will show the I class, which does not give accrual on CX (according the book, no idea what the real life situation is).

I plan to use the MH trip to get the OWE. Compared to CX, MH is a "little" step down. Lounges, Lounge Wifi, IT, booking options, seating onboard. MH Food is good, though I have myself limited complains about CX food (read: the NAN). MH staff can be a hit or miss, my last MH leg, last week, did have really excellent cabin crew.
Yeah, the new tickets (and hence, the BPs) will definitely say P class (and First Class), but if you submit the original tickets and proof that they have been upgraded through the scheme, I imagine it should work(?).

Likewise, MH has been my buddy in helping get those few CPs/TPs (crediting to CX or BA) needed for the next tier. I kind of think that MH is a large step down from CX, with worse lounges (despite renovations), KLIA (those gate security lines can be hellish), worse food (interestingly in my experience food on Cathay has been better than MH, despite the deterioration in quality). As you said crew can be downright disinterested or very genuine and sincere (once I told them I was a big fan of Kacang Masin, and they brought me enough to last for the whole flight!). Despite all that, I have an enduring soft spot for MH.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
I had one similar example.

I bought a return ticket on BA website (business I class), TXL-LHR-HKG, all operated by BA.
Then using BA points to upgrade LHR-HKG to first class. The new itinerary showed the new booking class become Z (reward F).
Then I changed my FFP to CX.

After finishing flying, MPC credited it as businness I class which was totally correct.
However, in few months, I did the exact upgrade again but MPC credited as first A class which was extremely sweet bug!

Well, this works for BA and hopefully works for MH too...
clubeurope likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.