Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How far can I push the J baggage allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

I’m flying out of JFK this week in J. I’ve been over the official baggage policy:

Checked: 2x pieces, max 32kg each
Cabin: 1 carry on plws one personal item or briefcase plus your coat plus a garment bag or soft bag.

So what can I ge5 away with for carry on? FWIW I’m also OW Emerald but with AA.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:33 pm

? As you are OWE, I think it is 3 x 32KG?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
The most I brought on in J was my laptop bag, a medium sized messenger bag, a gym bag, and a small hard shell roller and there were no complaints from anyone. What are you planning to bring on anyway so we have more of an idea if what your planning is possible or just too much that it won't pass.

As a OWE (I'm assuming the flight follows the piece system instead of the weight one), you do get 3 x 32kg as peasant mentioned but I wouldn't enjoy lugging around 3 bags while travelling. As far as cabin luggage, CX doesn't officially provide any extra pieces for OWE or even their own MPC elites. They only allow additional weight for MPC Silver, Gold and Diamond travelling in lower classes (i.e. an MPC Silver will get the the allowance for J pax even when travelling in Y).
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:25 am

As a OWE you get 3x32kg.

That aside I have been 5-10kg over the limit a couple of times and they have let it go. I know others who have been charged. I think it really depends on who checks you in and what mood they are in.

Cabin baggage - 1 roll on and one backpack. I have never once been checked on those.
nvoi and iswok like this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Sorry I misspoke. I'm Sapphire not emerald.

And yeah I'm trying to get a feel for what carry ons I can get away with.

I have a sooner carry on but I don't tend to take it cos then I need to maneuver 3 spinners (how do people cope with that? Just hope to find a cart?).

Currently I have one duffel and one large messenger bag. What more could u get away with do you think?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by hagin

I have a sooner carry on but I don't tend to take it cos then I need to maneuver 3 spinners (how do people cope with that? Just hope to find a cart?).
I navigate with 4 spinners, 2 on each hand, back-to-back - fairly easy, just running and curbs if heavy can get difficult
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: CX DM, PR PE, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Sorry for the slightly OT:
Is it true that they allow 3 pieces luggage (for NA flights) if your flying F class?
(This will be for my wife, not me as DM)
Appreciate your quick replies.
Thank you.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by luial
Sorry for the slightly OT:
Is it true that they allow 3 pieces luggage (for NA flights) if your flying F class?
(This will be for my wife, not me as DM)
Appreciate your quick replies.
Thank you.
Only if your wife is DM/OWE or GO/OWS.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:42 pm

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Sorry to hijack the thread but if I were to bring on a 34L Topas, a holdall as my personal item, as well as a long umbrella as my carry ons, is that pushing it or will I be allowed on board without too much pushback from the agents?

What if I don't bring the holdall but just a normal sized personal item, will I still be allowed to bring the long umbrella onboard?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:52 pm

What I would like to see happen is every pax push the envelop and carry more than they are entitled.
And when all the overhead storages are full, how will those status passengers react.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
for elite pax, as long as you don't look like you can't move your self... basically they wouldn't really mind how many bags you carry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.