Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DPS closed due to Mt Agung eruption

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Bali airport (DPS) has re-opened on Wed 29 Nov, 3PM local time. Let's hope for no more closure.
Isnt CX have the moral responsiblity to takecare on accommodation and meals for all stranded passengers or just depends on what class they took?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:21 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ronaldko
Isnt CX have the moral responsiblity to takecare on accommodation and meals for all stranded passengers or just depends on what class they took?
Depends on cause. Carriers aren't responsible for natural disasters (Mount Agung). Or adverse weather (Sapporo last Christmas).
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Depends on cause. Carriers aren't responsible for natural disasters (Mount Agung). Or adverse weather (Sapporo last Christmas).
At this moment i have heard that SIA and KLM provided accommodation and all meals for their passengers stranded here. Really pity on CX F and J class guests with few more thousand spendling on their product still got nothing until now in Bali
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

At this moment i have heard that SIA and KLM provided accommodation and all meals for their passengers stranded here. Really pity on CX F and J class guests with few more thousand spendling on their product still got nothing until now in Bali
Each airline's discretion, not obligation or even expectation.

Don't like what CX did? Fly SIA to Bali via SIN (that's the whole incentive of providing non-obligatory assistance isn't it?)
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've driven Bandung to Yogyakarta once, with about 5 hours of the trip at night, and it's a bare knuckle trip for sure. Cars and motorbikes passing on blind curves, buses barreling by at breakneck speeds on pretty bad roads.

I took the train back...
ashsong likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: CX JL QR LH BA
Late afternoon of Nov 29, DPS reopened, but I’d already decided on taking the BWX option.

Per recommendation from Conrad, I departed 8 pm Nov 29 and Conrad waved the last night’s accommodation fees for me.

It was an SUV from the hotel that took me to BWX. Traffic was brutal even at night. Reaching the ferry took 5 hours, and there were multiple traffic accidents on the only narrow road connecting the two places.

Folks were not really following any rules when trying to squeeze onto the ferry, which took more than an hour to complete it’s short journey. Sanitary situation on the ferry was dire. I arrived at a hotel called el royal near BWX airport at local time 3 am (DPS time 4 am...) and am in one of their villas, which, for a four star hotel, is original, made me miss Conrad.

My 4:15 pm flight to CGK from sriwijaya does not allow me to OLCI, prompting an error called “business class status” and their phone number either wouldn’t work or was filled with language that made little sense to me... I hope it’s not that they oversold their seats.

This is a trip that gave perspectives. I think CX is a great airline, there are so many bottom lines.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:07 pm

I wonder was I overly harsh in this criticism?
I believe so. Looking at the weather charts for DPS it would have been taking a risk, and indeed plenty of other airlines cancelled or were taking special precautions over the weekend. Whose safety practices would you rather bet your house on? CX, or MH/GA/HX?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
KLM has a legal obligation under EC261
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:12 am
Original Poster

If your flight was directly affected by the bad weather, the only time you might not be able to claim flight delay compensation is if one of the following three things happened:
  1. The weather conditions were ‘freak’ or ‘wholly exceptional’ (like a volcanic ash cloud or hurricane)

https://www.flightcompensation.com/g...y-bad-weather/
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:15 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If your flight was directly affected by the bad weather, the only time you might not be able to claim flight delay compensation is if one of the following three things happened:
  1. The weather conditions were ‘freak’ or ‘wholly exceptional’ (like a volcanic ash cloud or hurricane)
They don’t have to provide compensation for the delayed flight but they do have to provide accomodation and meals during the delay. (Duty of care)
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
As you have surely noticed, this website is for British pax covered by EU regulations.
The right of care is compulsory, even if the delay/cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances such as bad weather. But no "compensation" is due. The "volcanic ash cloud" turned out to be very costly for European airlines.
But this is EU, There is no obligation for CX or any regional airline.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
They don’t have to provide compensation for the delayed flight but they do have to provide accomodation and meals during the delay. (Duty of care)
​​​​​​
Is care applicable where comp is not? I thought they apply together (Article 5 specifies care (Article 9) "and" comp (Article 7) apply together http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...LEX:32004R0261)

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 30, 2017 at 7:49 am
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:14 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
​​​​​​
Is care applicable where comp is not? I thought they apply together (Article 5 specifies care (Article 9) "and" comp (Article 7) apply together http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...LEX:32004R0261)
yes care is applicable. Have a read of this guide:

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
yes care is applicable. Have a read of this guide:

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Oh. I read EC261 literally. Glad to learn BA will give care for WX.

Again, only applicable to KLM and other EU carrier pax. Definitely not applicable to CX as an obligation (and from last Christmas's Sapporo experience, it's not in practice either).
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:44 am

The KL flight is an interesting one. Given it departs via SIN, it may just well be some passengers on that flight (to AMS, not SIN only) which may be protected. The EU reg does not apply to certain flights (eg BA SIN-SYD) when sold separately; I don't know in situations you're checked through to the EU destination is covered but I am sure KL, BA et al from DPS, SYD, etc... would try to wiggle their way out of proving duty of care.

Non-EU carriers are only obliged under this rule when departing from EU, not to EU (so would cover a CX flight from Europe if affected). Again, whether a LHR-HKG-DPS flight is covered is also murky territory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.