Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is 1 hour cutting it too close for check in at DPS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

I'm flying out from DPS this Sunday with CX for the first time ever, 4:05pm on the mainline CX784. I'm planning on leaving the hotel (at Nusa Dua, StR to be precise) at 2:15pm and arrive at 2:45-3:00 ish. No bags and will have done OLCI (assuming olci/mobile BP is allowed?). Hotel is telling me I might be cutting it close (reason being I really want to enjoy the sunday brunch there!). CX website says counters don't close until 40 mins before departure? Any experiences of immigration and security, I assume it's hassle free and should be quick compared to arrivals?

Thanks thanks thanks!!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: MPC Gold
If this is going back to HKG (so within Asia Pacific) I think 1 hour prior to your flight is more than enough time for checking-in and going through security / immigration. Last time I flew through DPS (March 2017) it was a pretty smooth experience compared to other airports I've been to.

Just ensure you give yourself enough leeway leaving the hotel to the airport -- I'd be more concerned with the traffic going to the airport instead of the actual airport immigration / security process itself.

Enjoy Bali!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by dmatthew
If this is going back to HKG (so within Asia Pacific) I think 1 hour prior to your flight is more than enough time for checking-in and going through security / immigration. Last time I flew through DPS (March 2017) it was a pretty smooth experience compared to other airports I've been to.

Just ensure you give yourself enough leeway leaving the hotel to the airport -- I'd be more concerned with the traffic going to the airport instead of the actual airport immigration / security process itself.

Enjoy Bali!
The airport immigration queues can be a bit, but still within reason.

Not on CX, and not at that time of the day, but we've been stuck in real bad traffic close to the airport while driving in from a far off spot. Had an hour+ of a buffer and all of that quickly evaporated. We did have a potential option on a later flight back (were on SQ), but it was a stressful experience.

I'd build a buffer.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: CX DM
I took CX784 on Tuesday and we got through check-in/security/immigration in around 10 minutes having arrived around 2:50pm.

We did OLCI but still needed to go to the counter to collect boarding passes (no checked bags).

As others have said, the bigger issue will be what traffic conditions to the airport are like on the day.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: LH HON
Traffic conditions around DPS are unpredictable. After being there for more than 20+ times in the past couple of years, I still have not been able to figure out a pattern. On one day your plan might well work, on the next day you're going to miss your flight. No one can tell. I've learned it the hard way and calculate an additional 50% buffer unless it's a 5-6am dep.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:38 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by scottie80
I took CX784 on Tuesday and we got through check-in/security/immigration in around 10 minutes having arrived around 2:50pm.

We did OLCI but still needed to go to the counter to collect boarding passes (no checked bags).

As others have said, the bigger issue will be what traffic conditions to the airport are like on the day.
No experience of DPS but as said, you will need to go to the check in desk for a boarding pass. Indonesia is still one of the countries who’s immigration department still insists on stamping every bit of available paper they can lay their hands on.

S
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Plenty of time for airport formalities.. however.. Bali traffic.. as written above is both unpredictable and chaotic.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
Definitely true about the unpredictable traffic around the airport. Coming from Nusa Dua it's not so bad because you can take the highway but if you're coming from Seminyak it can really get stuck.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:45 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Thanks all for the comments. Am going with that time. Been monitoring Nusa Dua - DPS traffic, while other parts to DPS seems quite fluctuating, it actually looks okay consistent for this route. Worst comes to worst, there is a KA flight on the same day at a later time. Happy thanksgiving!
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:48 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

LOL, both CX KA flights today canceled to DPS. Not impressed (AT ALL, compared to AA's treatment for EXPs) calling roaming to 3333 and MPO this morning so far. Let's see what happens.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:48 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Well it’s due to the volcano. Not really much CX can do?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
LOL, both CX KA flights today canceled to DPS. Not impressed (AT ALL, compared to AA's treatment for EXPs) calling roaming to 3333 and MPO this morning so far. Let's see what happens.
Sad to hear. Funny how we spend time to optimize and the unexpected suddenly hit.

Could you explain how AA EXP were better treated?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:36 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Here at DPS for 4 hours already, refuse to endorse to OW, refuse to endorse higher booking class, did not care about MPO or AA status, there are no outlets anywhere as well......
Old Nov 26, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Here at DPS for 4 hours already, refuse to endorse to OW, refuse to endorse higher booking class, did not care about MPO or AA status, there are no outlets anywhere as well......
Sounds like a pretty awesome situation !
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:07 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Are there any other oneworld airlines that fly between DPS and HKG? From what I can gather most airlines are not flying to DPS, so there are no other flights that you can be moved onto anyway?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.