Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

A350 vs 777 in Business from SFO comparison

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*

I've searched the threads and haven't found an answer to this. Is there a reason to take the A350 vs the 777 out of SFO to HKG in business? Normally I prefer the mini cabin on the 777 (rows 11 and 12) and did find a thread on Flyertalk indicating the corresponding cabin on the A350 is next to economy and less preferable from a service and bathroom utilization point of view.

Is there any reason I should switch to the A350?

Thanks much.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by goldengate
I've searched the threads and haven't found an answer to this. Is there a reason to take the A350 vs the 777 out of SFO to HKG in business? Normally I prefer the mini cabin on the 777 (rows 11 and 12) and did find a thread on Flyertalk indicating the corresponding cabin on the A350 is next to economy and less preferable from a service and bathroom utilization point of view.

Is there any reason I should switch to the A350?

Thanks much.
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...usiness-class/
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
The A350 J is a nice update from the 77W. Noticeably quieter, wifi, better IFE system, and a bit more storage space. You also get a slightly larger area for your knees in full-flat mode.

I'm a fan of the mini cabin on both planes, though on the 35G it's quite close to the PEY bassinet seats. It's a gamble, but if there's no crying infant then it'll be quite pleasant. Yes, you get served last, but this bothers some people more than others.

The bathroom situation at row 20 on the 35G isn't that different from row 12 on the 77H. If you're at 20A you'll be fine. It's not nearly as bad as 20D/G on the 77G.

If time is not of a concern to you, I'd go for the A350, if you're sure you can get a decent seat (i.e not 11D/G) beforehand.

No need to give a blogger undue traffic when there's all the expertise the OP needs in the CX forum
IstKong likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Oh my there is waaaay more useful info here than the blog. (Albeit, no cool pictures and an awful search function. But FT content vs the blogs is like comparing calculus to adding and subtracting). That guy flies more than most, but he rarely - compared to forum members here flies CX. I often read his reviews on CX and the impression is frequently wrong.

One such inaccuracy is his (short) review for the A350....the AVOD selection is identical across the fleet, no the selection is not bigger on the A350 as implied. The AVOD is indeed a tighter resolution screen, new map, a350 has a tail cam and there is a new interface but media content identical.

Anyway, a350 has WiFi and a superior bed. The reason the bed is superior is due to the inclusion of a covered top in the "triangle" section where most Cirrus reverse herringbones have either a bin or an open storage area. For example, on the CX 77W J class this space is open (it's on your side below the side table) and convenient to store printed materials, things you're keeping at your seat, etc. but it is open. They have made this a closed container now and covered it with seat padding that fits perfectly when in bed mode (admittedly, check out OMAATs blog picture for the bed mode and you will immediately understand if you're familiar with CX 77W J). It means you essentially have a wider bed at your midsection. This is a huge benefit if you're a side sleeper, although I imagine it's good for all.

Overall A350 is a slam dunk over CX's 77G config. It is kinda a tossup to me against the 77H, because I do prefer the cabin layout in 77H. However, the A359 has WiFi and the bed is more comfortable in sleeping mode vs 77W. Just do NOT select the front two middle seats on the A359 no matter what you do. Two of the worst seats in the entire CX fleet. You're basically sitting in the bathroom.

Also, CX is the only non Chinese airline that has WiFi going over China. And I'll add CX WiFi is uncensored, including over China. It's a huge advantage over AA, DL and UA, all of whose flights to HKG frequently fly over China. The WiFi is excellent.

Search for "mini cabin" to get a fuller impression.

Last edited by QRC3288; Nov 11, 2017 at 10:31 pm
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Just a pointer AA also does not do geoblock (neither do I believe any airline would IF the wifi is satellite-based) on their TPAC routes

I have done a few regional hops on the 35G. I find it frustrating that there is no prime seat, unlike 77H 11A, 77G 11A, 23K,...so I have not been sold on it (not even 'yet', because I don't think I will ever be.)

Many crew have said the 35G weathers turbulence a lot worse than 77W.

The seat width objectively is also less than 77H/77G across all 3 cabins, if I am not mistaken
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:47 am

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
I have yet to try the 359 but padding and contour/ergonomic-wise, how do they compare to those of the 77W?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:44 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I have done a few regional hops on the 35G. I find it frustrating that there is no prime seat, unlike 77H 11A, 77G 11A, 23K,...so I have not been sold on it (not even 'yet', because I don't think I will ever be.)
Putting aside whether 77H 11A is *actually* a prime seat (I disagree), but why is the existence of a prime seat important? So that one can feel better than the people sitting in the other seats?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I have done a few regional hops on the 35G. I find it frustrating that there is no prime seat, unlike...77G 11A, 23K...
Oh mate, let me just join the fun and completely disagree here. 11A on 77G can be blasted by crew noise: I flew in that seat twice last year, once to LHR and then later to EWR, both in 11A. After LHR I thought it was just bad luck. Then I had EWR a month later and vowed never to do it again. I had to ask them to quiet down once on the first flight, twice on the second. Party at the ISM seat, and curtains that were constantly being left open on both bringing a bunch of light in.

And 23K, I've just had too many bad experiences in the 77G, 33K, 33E and 33G mini-cabins to not say this is priority. True, the rear mini-cabin can be bliss. But it can also be a nightmare if you get inattentive crew and vacant seats, due to bathroom use from PEY.

True, 77G mini-cabin isn't used for crew rest like the A333 is (which creates a ton of noise if you're back there). But I just can't agree.

I see the 35G as a plainly superior 77G for passengers. (Except seated in D/G in front row, where it's awful, versus only 1 awful seat for 77G, that D forward seat in the mini-cabin.) And the bed is better.

As for crew talking about turbulence well....I'm not sure if that's really going to hold scientific water! It's possible but I'm not convinced based on cabin crew rumblings. The 35G rest area is definitely worse than 77W, but not hugely so (versus, say the CX A333 where there isn't one!). And I know crew don't like serving the plane in J class...but they also complain like hell about 77G. In fact, they pretty much complain about everything these days, which I can't blame them for: it's really just a sign of bad, bad legacy management. Hopefully the new guys can turn this around. But there is just zero trust from the crew about what "The Company" (capital T and C), as they call it, asks them to do. Especially when it's a new process, service flow, plane, etc. I'd take those complaints with a grain of salt until trust gets rebuilt. We all know CX has really mucked up these last 3-5 years and it will take some time to fix and see results.

I do agree that the mini-cabin on 77H is preferential, period. Best J seats in the entire CX fleet IMO. Although I guess sxc differs on 11A.

Last edited by QRC3288; Nov 12, 2017 at 3:03 am
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:02 am

I've flown in both cabins extensively (travel SFO <> HKG quite frequently plus the 350 regional routes in Asia)

I don't disagree with what everyone is mentioning here -- plus, the fact that the 350 planes are simply newer is refreshing (no scratched surfaces compared to the 777).

That being said, you're on an 11+ hour flight. Chances are you're going to pass out and sleep for most of the flight, so sleep quality matters the most -- and in that respect there's little difference between the two flights.

Pick the flight that aligns to your schedule the best -- if you happen to be choosing between 873 and 893, I'd go with 893 (and get a nice sushi dinner in San Bruno -- ask me if you need recommendations!). Otherwise, getting to where you need to be on time matters far more than the marginal benefit of the 350 over the 777.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:59 am

Hi guys, looking for some seat selection advice from you veterans on my upcoming trip from YVR -> TPE with a stop in HKG with all legs on CX J. I don't normally fly CX so I have no clue what to select.

I will be travelling with my gf so we definitely want to select a pair of middle seats but we arn't sure if we want to be in the front or in the mini cabin.

We have 1 flight on the 77G, 1 flight on the 35G, and 2 flights on the 333. These flights are months away so the entire cabin is currently empty.

Right now, we tentatively selected 12 D/G for every flight but I am worried it is still too close to the galley/lavatories. I normally like sitting up front since it allows me to exit the aircraft quicker but after reading this thread, I am now a bit worried about noise and foot traffic from being near the front. I know you guys say row 11 is terrible for the middle seats but is row 12 far enough or should I move even further back to row 13/14? Or even further to the mini cabins?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:23 am

I will take A350 for good quality sleep. The cabin pressure and moisture is better than 777. You don't feel fatigue so easily.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: Marco Polo
I really like the A350 product, the IFE interface is vastly improved, the lower pressurization and general "new" feel all are noticeable but......the 777 whether it be 77G or 77H is like your perfect relationship everything just works well and feels very familiar. I will say that the extra space for your knees is nice but I haven't really noticed it's absence on the older product. I think once the 777s are updated with the new IFE I'll give the edge back to the 777.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:08 am

Another vote for the A350. The 777 design is over 20 years old now. It's a great aircraft but the A350 is just a newer, nicer place to be, all else being equal (which it largely is in this case).
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by hl176
I have yet to try the 359 but padding and contour/ergonomic-wise, how do they compare to those of the 77W?
comfier
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18
I really like the A350 product, the IFE interface is vastly improved, the lower pressurization and general "new" feel all are noticeable but......the 777 whether it be 77G or 77H is like your perfect relationship everything just works well and feels very familiar. I will say that the extra space for your knees is nice but I haven't really noticed it's absence on the older product. I think once the 777s are updated with the new IFE I'll give the edge back to the 777.
I've read somewhere that CX does not intend to change the 77Ws seats to the next gen ones on the A350-900 and -1000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.