Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Middle name hassle on CX day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Middle name hassle on CX day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Always a good idea. At some airports, IME particularly CMB and India, you must show a paper itinerary/ticket to enter the terminal building.
Electronic copy say, on the phone, will do just fine- in both CMB/India! Multiple personal experiences since 2015 at both , and by law since 2013 in India.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:41 pm

Skimmed through the thread but couldn't find a similar case.

My ticket has my middle name, transmitted from AA. My passport does not.

Should be OK?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by viraldemos
Skimmed through the thread but couldn't find a similar case.

My ticket has my middle name, transmitted from AA. My passport does not.

Should be OK?
Yea. Relax. It’s fine
viraldemos likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Electronic copy say, on the phone, will do just fine- in both CMB/India! Multiple personal experiences since 2015 at both , and by law since 2013 in India.
I am in India every month. Electronic copy on phone is indeed fine.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Without going through all 12 pages,does my middle name have to be on my ticket
Currently it's just first and last name
There is a middle on my passport
1st time ever flying CX next week
Now ye have me worried 😱
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Earthman
Without going through all 12 pages,does my middle name have to be on my ticket
Currently it's just first and last name
There is a middle on my passport
1st time ever flying CX next week
Now ye have me worried 😱
You should be fine as long as your "first name" is a western name and not the first part of a two-part Chinese given name (eg. "Tai" being the first part of "Tai Man") and not travelling onwards to mainland China using either a Chinese Travel Document or Home Return Permit where your name "Tai Man" is in Chinese characters.
Earthman likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Yeah its western connecting in hkg to dos
I've never used a middle name on a ticket or a boarding pass anywhere ever despite there being one on my passport
I'm a tad surprised at this thread that one might be wanted in any circumstances
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Earthman
Yeah its western connecting in hkg to dos
I've never used a middle name on a ticket or a boarding pass anywhere ever despite there being one on my passport
I'm a tad surprised at this thread that one might be wanted in any circumstances
My guess is that this is to prevent siblings in the same family from transferring their unused tickets to another sibling.

In Chinese families, it is common for siblings to share the same "first part" of a two-part Chinese given name.

Eg. Tai Man (older brother), Tai Wah (younger brother), however ticketed name is "Tai" meaning both of them can use the ticket.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam
My guess is that this is to prevent siblings in the same family from transferring their unused tickets to another sibling.

In Chinese families, it is common for siblings to share the same "first part" of a two-part Chinese given name.

Eg. Tai Man (older brother), Tai Wah (younger brother), however ticketed name is "Tai" meaning both of them can use the ticket.
I thought DOB has to match as well?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by pointsifu
I thought DOB has to match as well?
APIS information is not hard coded to the PNR like the "names" field is and can be changed as needed. This is because some passengers have dual citizenship and may be using a different passport to enter each country.

A simple swipe of a passport during the check-in process (either at a self serve kiosk or by an agent) automatically overrides and changes the information in the APIS field. Most check-in agents just swipe the passport without looking at the existing APIS field.

In most cases, you can even edit that field when check in online (or in advance via Manage My Booking on the carrier's website)!
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:13 pm

This is purely conjecture. In the western world we have John Smith and John Smith Jr and John Smith III all in the same family... so tickets can even be used generationally?
tauphi likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:32 am

I think the reason is idiocy gone mad. In the past plane tickets were like train tickets, and not attached to any particular person. Then for "security" reasons (but I'm sure the airlines were happy as well) they became attached to a person, and you couldn't easily transfer them to other people. And with "security" now being the catchall explanation for anything aircraft related, if the name doesn't match in the way some person thinks they should it is a security risk.

And there is that famous case of someone taking someone else's ticket https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...und-world-trip
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:24 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Name match is never about passengers' security or national security. It is all about airline profit maximisation (by stopping others from scalping tickets).

If national security then visa/ETA match is the more important measure.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
I would like to add a data point because I was slightly concerned after having read this thread before flying my recent Avios redemption on Cathay (HKG-Taiwan).

Western name with one middle name which is not on my BA executive club (and was thus not on the CX ticket). Absolutely no issue whatsoever, no questions asked at any stage of the journey.

Online check-in was possible, but boarding pass had to be collected at the airport (which I believe was due to visa checks and totally unrelated to the name issue).
Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
This is purely conjecture. In the western world we have John Smith and John Smith Jr and John Smith III all in the same family... so tickets can even be used generationally?
I believe these suffixes are considered part of surname, not the given name, so the ticket for SMITH/JOHN cannot be used by SMITH JR/JOHN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.