Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX - SFO to HKG - Upgrade to Premium Economy - Options ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX - SFO to HKG - Upgrade to Premium Economy - Options ?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
For the NYC (EWR/JKF) routes, I usually see a R class about $400 more than E pretty consistently, even during the summer season. E class fares usually fluctuate between $1900 - $2300. Not sure about W class. Still significantly less than I (discounted J) which is usually around $7500. My travel agent usually gets fares about $200 less than CX rack price for E and R class. Last December I took advantage of the black Friday sale and got two I class tickets for just over $3000.

Just checked Expertflyer. It shows fares for SFO-HKG - E: $1812, R: $2241, W: $5653, I: $5700, D: $6400, C: $7900, J: $14556
But those PE fares expire 5/23/18, just in time for the summer rush.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Birthday and milestone upgrades for MPC members only, possible SL or GO & above. That is not applicable for other OWEs.

R fare SFO-HKG-SFO is around USD2.3K while the lowest business fare is usually still above USD5K. @Zacnlinc If you don't have Asia Miles for upgrade redemption, there is no reason to try R & W. Higher fare will not increase op-up chance.

Thanks @CXfan

I figured it would be best to "stick with" my E fare as well, No need to over pay for PEY and be feeling deflated if I'm still in PEY at the end of the day. The fare I was quoted seemed fare enough once it was compared to Y fares with all of the add-on fees I'd have to pay to avoid a middle seat reservation and to have leg room.

In the end I just need to be prepared for the humidity in ICN and HKG as I will most likely be traveling between the two cities while I'm in in Asia for the month.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Thanks @CXfan

I figured it would be best to "stick with" my E fare as well, No need to over pay for PEY and be feeling deflated if I'm still in PEY at the end of the day. The fare I was quoted seemed fare enough once it was compared to Y fares with all of the add-on fees I'd have to pay to avoid a middle seat reservation and to have leg room.

In the end I just need to be prepared for the humidity in ICN and HKG as I will most likely be traveling between the two cities while I'm in in Asia for the month.
Worst case you will be at PEY. IMO I could sleep well at PEY as long as my seatmate (yes, not sitting in the middle section) doesn't move a lot. To be fair the quality/hours of sleep I had on PEY are similar to J, with the latter offered slightly better IFE experiences and meals services. Not sure if you tried CX's PEY before, but I feel it's like AA's domestic first with much improved services/meals but slightly less space.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Worst case you will be at PEY. IMO I could sleep well at PEY as long as my seatmate (yes, not sitting in the middle section) doesn't move a lot. To be fair the quality/hours of sleep I had on PEY are similar to J, with the latter offered slightly better IFE experiences and meals services. Not sure if you tried CX's PEY before, but I feel it's like AA's domestic first with much improved services/meals but slightly less space.

That's good to know... And not to sound like a snob, but AA's F service is a hit/miss but this sets the stage as to what to expect for CX's PEY. I'm good.. And the sleeping situation is why I selected the 2 seat arrangement away from the baby carriage areas!! Took the window options just for that extra space to nod off in if it happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.