Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

What's the point of accumulating Asia Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the point of accumulating Asia Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:32 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I was just discussing with another frequent flyer about how valuable AM is.
$0.06 https://forum.hongkongcard.com/forumSE/show/22044 #5 .

To me it's not like they're worth only $0.06 - when I get to use them, their value in use certainly outweighs the cost (trading loss) I pay for them.

However it is being able to use them - I've sort of ruled out using them on public holidays (not just Japan, even got bollocked for Bangkok CNY). And I honestly don't want to sell or trade them (preserve my ability to use them when I have to).

Due to change in circumstances I am less flexible about when I can fly, and CX is being ever more stingy about public holidays. Or stingy about the seats they release (HKG-SYD-AKL for handover holiday in PE even though I was happy to pay Priority 1 for J)

If it's not public holiday, much of my discretionary leave are booked with UO (they haven't let me down, but if they do I'll just roll back the leave).

It does seem odd that in the face of decreasing demand, CX is decreasing prices like crazy for cash fares (I just priced CAN-HKG-YVR in J at r/t RMB18k for Easter while HKG-YVR r/t is $30k) but decreasing redemption availability at the same time.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by percysmith

To me it's not like they're worth only $0.06 - when I get to use them, their value in use certainly outweighs the cost (trading loss) I pay for them.

However it is being able to use them - I've sort of ruled out using them on public holidays (not just Japan, even got bollocked for Bangkok CNY). And I honestly don't want to sell or trade them (preserve my ability to use them when I have to).

Due to change in circumstances I am less flexible about when I can fly, and CX is being ever more stingy about public holidays. Or stingy about the seats they release (HKG-SYD-AKL for handover holiday in PE even though I was happy to pay Priority 1 for J)

If it's not public holiday, much of my discretionary leave are booked with UO (they haven't let me down, but if they do I'll just roll back the leave).

It does seem odd that in the face of decreasing demand, CX is decreasing prices like crazy for cash fares (I just priced CAN-HKG-YVR in J at r/t RMB18k for Easter while HKG-YVR r/t is $30k) but decreasing redemption availability at the same time.
Oh wow..I could barely see J fare to N.A. that cheap, (usually at $5k USD, around 33k RMB to U.S. east coast, routing from SIN, PEK etc), on CX website.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:19 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this as I have let read through all threads in detail, but one thing AM (if you also have MPC status) attracts me is the ability to waitlist for CX flights. There are good chance you would be cleared unless the flight is heavily overbooked.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chatter
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this as I have let read through all threads in detail, but one thing AM (if you also have MPC status) attracts me is the ability to waitlist for CX flights. There are good chance you would be cleared unless the flight is heavily overbooked.
i agree. Id b surprised if i would have to realize a mile at ard 6c. Considering the stress of uo flipping n the need to pay for an extra meal i may as well fly cx.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:51 am

I think the valuable part is the route rules AM offered.

Generally, an AM reward ticket allows 2 transfer, 2 stopover and 1 open-jaw, which means you can have 6 segments on 1 tickets, and the least miles required is just 30k in Y or 50K in J, that's 5K each segment.

For example, CAN-HKG-ICN, GMP-HND-AOJ, MMB-HND, NRT-CAN can be in one ticket which only cost 30K am in Y, or CAN-HKG-USM, USM-SIN, KUL-BKK, BKK-HKG-CAN.

Also, Shenzhen airlines offers a great deal when travel within mainland China, for example, WUX-XMN, XMN-NKG, NTG-TPE, TPE-WUX, which allows you to book two travels (one to XMN and the other one to TPE, the time can be different) in 1 ticket, and it just cost 20k in Y.

There are so many great way to redeem AM miles for leisure travel, and with credit card offers, it can be easily done within 1 years to get 30k miles, isn't it?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Chatter
Not much help. Mate and I:

Wedding 5/8 SYD. We were mailed invites in May.

We couldn't risk RSVPing without confirmed flights so mate redeemed PE r/t and me Y r/t on AM (my dates were tighter: 4-6/8 only). School holidays in HK but not Aus so it's not much demand.

We added waitlists to J both ways but we didn't clear them T-4 days out

HKG-SYD J cleared for us 3 days out <--- seems like revenue control were waiting for the waitlists to expire or something. We both reissued.

SYD-HKG became available for me when I was being driven to the wedding. So that's around 30 hours before departure <-- my reissue 2

My mate got his J seat essentially when I was waiting for my luggage at HKG and he was packing for SYD. 5 hours out <-- reissue 2 for him.

Due to my $0.06 trading cost I paid for all my reissue fees in AM. My mate is also sick of waiting for last minute availability and also followed suit.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Not much help. Mate and I:

Wedding 5/8 SYD. We were mailed invites in May.

We couldn't risk RSVPing without confirmed flights so mate redeemed PE r/t and me Y r/t on AM (my dates were tighter: 4-6/8 only). School holidays in HK but not Aus so it's not much demand.

We added waitlists to J both ways but we didn't clear them T-4 days out

HKG-SYD J cleared for us 3 days out <--- seems like revenue control were waiting for the waitlists to expire or something. We both reissued.

SYD-HKG became available for me when I was being driven to the wedding. So that's around 30 hours before departure <-- my reissue 2

My mate got his J seat essentially when I was waiting for my luggage at HKG and he was packing for SYD. 5 hours out <-- reissue 2 for him.

Due to my $0.06 trading cost I paid for all my reissue fees in AM. My mate is also sick of waiting for last minute availability and also followed suit.
i seem to have better luck than you - then again i head west to europe and not to aus.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by CX30616
I think the valuable part is the route rules AM offered.

Generally, an AM reward ticket allows 2 transfer, 2 stopover and 1 open-jaw, which means you can have 6 segments on 1 tickets, and the least miles required is just 30k in Y or 50K in J, that's 5K each segment.

For example, CAN-HKG-ICN, GMP-HND-AOJ, MMB-HND, NRT-CAN can be in one ticket which only cost 30K am in Y, or CAN-HKG-USM, USM-SIN, KUL-BKK, BKK-HKG-CAN.
Can you explain?
I thought it was two stopover, two transfer OR one open-jaw?

Also how did you price 30k?

https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/site/terms

2. The Member or the Nominee may make two stopovers, two transfers or one open-jaw at either the origin, en route or turnaround point on all airline partners except Air China where no stopovers or open-jaws are permitted.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: MPC Diamond

percy, if the primary devaluing factor for you is usability, doesn't that improve drastically if you are Diamond? Just out of curiosity, have you weighed the incremental amount you think your miles would be worth if you had access to revenue seats for redemption multiplied by the # of miles you earn each year vs. what net cost might be to "purchase" Diamond each year?

If incremental value is only HK$0.02, you probably won't breakeven with 2MM miles earned/year (this is a complete guess), but if either of those variables moves up a bit I think you start to get close?? You can probably "efficiently" buy Diamond if you are targeting it without spending much more than HK$60-80K (based on G-CIVC here).
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by ermen
Can you explain?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post19661123
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by calf613
percy, if the primary devaluing factor for you is usability, doesn't that improve drastically if you are Diamond? Just out of curiosity, have you weighed the incremental amount you think your miles would be worth if you had access to revenue seats for redemption multiplied by the # of miles you earn each year vs. what net cost might be to "purchase" Diamond each year?

If incremental value is only HK$0.02, you probably won't breakeven with 2MM miles earned/year (this is a complete guess), but if either of those variables moves up a bit I think you start to get close?? You can probably "efficiently" buy Diamond if you are targeting it without spending much more than HK$60-80K (based on G-CIVC here).
1. Time cost is prohibitive, esp since my line of work doesn't involve me travelling for work (on the contrary, Hongkie "face time" is a KPI).

2. Only point of being DM is to open seats from revenue. This only applies to the DM personally - being on a DM's redemption list (my family members) will get you "you're on the top of the waiting list" which is as meaningful as the CPG promising we can elect our Chief Executive (sure, if you vote on the people we pick/sure, if we choose to release redemption seats at all).

3. There's only a limited number of miles you can use to open seats from revenue at every membership year.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by ermen
Can you explain?

Also how did you price 30k?

https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/site/terms

2. The Member or the Nominee may make two stopovers, two transfers or one open-jaw at either the origin, en route or turnaround point on all airline partners except Air China where no stopovers or open-jaws are permitted.
Although it says 'or', in practice, the rules is actually an 'and', and the miles are calculated by the longest one-way trip (which can be a bit complicated).

For example, A-B, C-A, then the miles are based on the longer trip. Or A-B, C-D-A, then compare A-B and D-A, the longer one will be 'destination', let's say D-A in this case, then the miles are based on A-B+C-D, or D-A, the longer one will determine the miles required.

PS: the route I mentioned are the actual ticketed routes, which you can just check availability and call AM to have it.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by CX30616
Although it says 'or', in practice, the rules is actually an 'and', and the miles are calculated by the longest one-way trip (which can be a bit complicated).

For example, A-B, C-A, then the miles are based on the longer trip. Or A-B, C-D-A, then compare A-B and D-A, the longer one will be 'destination', let's say D-A in this case, then the miles are based on A-B+C-D, or D-A, the longer one will determine the miles required.

PS: the route I mentioned are the actual ticketed routes, which you can just check availability and call AM to have it.
thanks this is doing my head in got to examine it... didn't know it could be routed like that... gut feeling is that it can open up more opportunities
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
One possible use for AM - 190K miles for a RTW business fare. Cheaper than QF apparently:

https://www.pointhacks.com.au/asia-m...emption-guide/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.