Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

2 oneway = roundtrip redemption return leg amount of miles required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM

Hi everyone, the topic may be confusing, but my situation is I have a returned ticket that have a zrh-hkg sectors all in J.
the onwway upgrade to F is 50,000 and return is 85,000
I have cleared the outbound with 50,000 miles as oneway upgrade and the return leg is hopefully can be cleared later.
From all the experience that post in the forum all indicate that you have to do another oneway redemption then, ask the difference to be refunded.
However, as my account will not have enough 50,000 miles for another oneway, but 35,000. is that possible to ask agent to ticket my upgrade with 35,000 miles if the award is cleared later on, as it will be ultimately amount of miles will be paid or has to be separate transactions?
Thank you.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: CX DM, PR PE, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Did you originally book a round trip upgrade?
Then yes, if your return clears before your outbound flight then your ticket will be reissued with 85,000 miles round trip upgrade.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by luial
Did you originally book a round trip upgrade?
Then yes, if your return clears before your outbound flight then your ticket will be reissued with 85,000 miles round trip upgrade.
In my experience, that is not the case. Unless OP wants reticketing (with re-ticketing penalty and possible loss of outbound upgrade), OP will be charged two one-way and will then receive a refund upon end of trip.

OP needs to ticket the first upgrade (before expiration) with the second (when it clears) to avoid any penalty.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
In my experience, that is not the case. Unless OP wants reticketing (with re-ticketing penalty and possible loss of outbound upgrade), OP will be charged two one-way and will then receive a refund upon end of trip.

OP needs to ticket the first upgrade (before expiration) with the second (when it clears) to avoid any penalty.
OP's problem is (s)he doesn't have enough miles for two one way upgrade... So it must be done before the first leg by ticketing a round trip upgrade as once the first leg is flown OP won't have enough miles to fly second leg upgrade at all...

If I remember correctly you can ticket a one way upgrade with waitlist and once cleared before departure you can re-issue it as a round trip upgrade (with handling charge of course)...
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM
Thanks all above, seems that I have to accept only travel outbound upgrade in F and inbound inJ or purchase some miles as there is no chance to have m inbound upgrade waitlist clear prior departure. Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.