Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Can I get transferred onto an earlier Dragonair flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways

Good day all,

This Sunday, I'll be travelling on Dragonair flight KA803 PVG to HKG leaving at 11:40 and then onwards to Melbourne. Unfortunately due to reasons outwith my control, I will be arriving at the airport at 5am. Provided that there are available seats on an earlier flight, what is the likelihood of being transferred to an earlier flight if I check in early? I realise I could pay to change it, but I cannot justify the cost!

Many thanks in advance.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Yes you normally can. PVG operates like a bus terminal generally ie whoever comes can get on as soon as possible subject to availability. Don't worry about it!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
very very likely..

Due to ongoing delays in PVG... outside CX/KA control.. they love to move Pax with connections to earliest flight. Reckon you'll be just fine.
Unless an award ticket.. which can sometimes.. not always.. be problematic.

*spelling
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Normally you should be fine, however it seems flights are getting close to full load that morning. Maybe it's worth checking out loading the night before again.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - this is giving me some hope! It doesn't have to be the first flight out of PVG, but an earlier departure would definitely be great. How do I check the loads on the flights?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by ld0595
Thanks for the replies - this is giving me some hope! It doesn't have to be the first flight out of PVG, but an earlier departure would definitely be great. How do I check the loads on the flights?
If you dont have special apps like EF (?), do a dummy booking on CX website. If they are still selling the early flights you wanted without denotation of "only X available", then there should be tickets left.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by ld0595
go to www.expertflyer.com and you can register for a 7 day free trail.

If you were only after one seat, you could also check at CX website to see if any seats are still available for sale.

You could also request a load check here and I am sure someone will reply within couple of hours.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:38 am
Original Poster

So that's the night before! I've checked the app be there still seems to be seats for sale on KA857/871, but I was wondering if someone could do a load check for me just in case I have any issues tomorrow? I don't have access to a PC at the moment and I'm just using my phone for everything, so I was hoping for some help in checking!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:08 am

KA857 A320 J0 C0 D0 I0 Y1 B1 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
KA871 A321 J9 C9 D9 I9 Y2 B1 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
KA831 A333 J4 C4 D3 I3 Y2 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
CX365 A333 J2 C2 D2 I2 Y9 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

The loading seems high in Y for the first 3 KA flights.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for checking! I'm not sure what the numbers mean - my guess is that the first two flights there is only one seat free, then two seats free on the third?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:24 am

J number means how many seats the airline can sell for Business class, regardless ticket price. Y numbers means seats left for sale for Economy.

Which cabin will you be in?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Oh okay, so it's not looking great then. I'll be in Economy sadly.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Just go and standby for earlier flight. No show and go show is very common in PVG so... No harm to standby right? You'll be at the airport anyway
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: CX
If there's space permitted (after all the endless DM's ahead), have anyone EVER been turned down to for a earlier standby given their ticket's restriction? I understand the answer is generally no, but curious if anyone ever been turned down. And if so what was the ticket type?

Originally Posted by sscywong
Just go and standby for earlier flight. No show and go show is very common in PVG so... No harm to standby right? You'll be at the airport anyway
Harm would be waiting landside vs being at a lounge.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA Gold
PVG is regardless of fare type i believe.

PEK enforces ticket type quite strictly I believe (I've seen pax paying to be moved to earlier flight). But it can be a different story during massive summer IRROPS i guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.