Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX635 (A359) delayed due to paint peeling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

My CX635 (an A359) was delayed today...

Reason: because the paint was peeling at the front and the engineers had to check it out...

Enough said.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:12 am

well CX is by far one of the most anal airlines for safety and security...

how long was the delay?!!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: SPG Gold, BA oik, TK pleb, EY Hoi Polloi
Paintwork isn't really supposed to peel. It usually means something is wrong - a previous lightning strike, bird strike, indication of structural issues, moisture ingress, fractures, composite delamination; all sorts of things.

If something like this is discovered, no matter how inane it might seem, it is checked: that way you reduce accidents. In all likelihood, it's nothing or something which will not affect the safety of the flight. Perhaps though, in your sort of "winning the lottery/getting hit by an asteroid" style chance, an inspection uncovers severe structural damage which in the worst case scenario causes a subsequent explosive decompression event. You might think the aerospace industry is insane, checking for things that have a >99.9% chance of not happening, but when the required safety level is several orders of magnitude greater than that, then it's checked.

Cathay are simply following established industry best practice when it comes to safety here, unsurprising particularly given the A350 is a comparitively new aircraft which doesn't have billions of operating hours under its belt.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Kachjc
well CX is by far one of the most anal airlines for safety and security...
I have a lot to criticize CX about, but this point I appreciate a lot from them!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i second that whilst i hate delay, for safety check like this i feel reassured its handled well.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
it was delayed 40mins.

It was more a reference to the A359 J product falling apart .. Now if they delayed everytime for that!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by ermen
it was delayed 40mins.

It was more a reference to the A359 J product falling apart .. Now if they delayed everytime for that!
Paint peeling, even inside the cabin, can mean something serious. In your case I'm glad Cathay takes it seriously.

This is one of the few times that I missed Cathay: safety first.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Cathay's stellar safety standards are often overlooked these days in the competitive environment they operate in. One of the aspects that continues to remain world class, despite the shoddy practices of many competing carriers.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
Why CX is my #1 choice

Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18
Cathay's stellar safety standards are often overlooked these days in the competitive environment they operate in. One of the aspects that continues to remain world class, despite the shoddy practices of many competing carriers.
I couldn't agree more. It is why I will continue to choose CX over rivals even when it means significantly extending my journey time to connect via HKG. Many posters to this sight ignore this fact. There is a MATERIAL difference between CX safety standards (including crew quality and judgement) over many of its rivals, old and new.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18
Exactly. I know enough pilots flying around Asia to know it extends to piloting standards too. Whatever they might do to the product, as long as they keep the safety standards up I'll keep flying them over their supposedly superior competitors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.