Wiki Posts
Search

DM renewal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Poster

DM renewal

Hello,

Last year I managed to accrue 1500 MP points in a year to renew DM for third year. Due to strange travel patterns I'm not on track to renew - likely to get about 900 or so points before end of January renewal.

Given I was well over last year does this argument work at all?

I should have probably removed my number when I got to 1200 and then just claimed back post renewal to maximize my points?

Thanks for any guidance.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes you should, but you can't do it retrospectively.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Flyweight
Hello,

Last year I managed to accrue 1500 MP points in a year to renew DM for third year. Due to strange travel patterns I'm not on track to renew - likely to get about 900 or so points before end of January renewal.

Given I was well over last year does this argument work at all?

I should have probably removed my number when I got to 1200 and then just claimed back post renewal to maximize my points?

Thanks for any guidance.
This argument apparently held some water before, although not always. Technically it is NOT a rolling program. Aka +300 last year does not make up for a -300 shortfall this year.

But the problem now is CX is handing out mid-tier benefits above 1200. I presume you got the lounge passes (which suck, for the record) at 1400. Thus I could see CX hardening their line, saying well you got lounge passes at 1400 so we even gave you value over the 1200. It would be nonsense....in my view, the real mid-tier benefits start at 1600 with the upgrades...but just fyi. We haven't seen what they do in these situations.

On the other hand, given CX seems to be handing out elite status upgrades like candy after the failed MPC "improvements" (aka longtime SL, GO and DM members are falling by the wayside, meanwhile I suspect the ranks of DM and GO these days are filled with a greater % of newly minted elites), it seems possible at least but just something to consider.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks I fell just short of -1400 so no passes luckily.

It sounds like in general better to get to 1200 - wait for renewal then credit later in order to maximise points accrual
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
So are you saying you actually got to around 1390 last year? That's only 190 more than requalification so I'm not sure if CX is even going to accept that 900+190 is an acceptable requalification amount. I suspect if most of your flying has been F and J, then this is going to be more of a factor as to whether you will requalify without hitting 1200.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
I had been DM for 4 years before dropping to GO last year (but retain AA EXP). I just finished 2 RT TPAC and should have a total of 1300 in my account. But due to some mileage crediting error, I only got 1195, the rest went to Alaska. Before sorting out the mileage crediting error problem, I asked MPO if it's ok to just grand me DM for only 5 points short. They said I can put in a request, and when my membership year ends, they'd look at it and decide. No guarantee. I don't want to risk it, so I just went ahead and claim back the miles, which was a total hassle!!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: CX DM, ROP silver
APeverell, my MPC membership year is up at the end of June. Mid June I was given DM status with 1,110 club points (and club points reset to 0). So they granted DM status with 90 club points short, I assume it might be because of the travel in J (but majority long haul not with CX).

I feel your pain about those last few club points. I can relate as I was re-arranging my travel/work schedule this week to accrue the balance 90 club points needed to get to 1200, total flights went over the 90 I needed. But now all of those extra CPs will now go towards next membership year. Regardless, thanks Cathay!

Last edited by corpoclass; Jun 20, 2017 at 4:13 pm
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by corpoclass
APeverell, my MPC membership year is up at the end of June. Mid June I was given DM status with 1,110 club points (and club points reset to 0). So they granted DM status with 90 club points short, I assume it might be because of the travel in J (but majority long haul not with CX).

I feel your pain about those last few club points. I can relate as I was re-arranging my travel/work schedule this week to accrue the balance 90 club points needed to get to 1200, total flights went over the 90 I needed. But now all of those extra CPs will now go towards next membership year. Regardless, thanks Cathay!
Thanks corpoclass. My membership year then also ends at the end of June. I also all travel in paid J. I completed my flights in mid-May, and no further flight plans by end of June, not sure if that's the reason I didn't see early upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.