Wiki Posts
Search

Improvement for PEY Inflight Snacks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Improvement for PEY Inflight Snacks

Good to see another improvement for PEY inflight Snacks but sadly only for USA Flights V.V.

http://imgur.com/a/zMGXz

Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: TK*G
Sounds like a legit improvement!

I have never flown any HKG-USA direct flights before, but I always wonder if two meals are actually enough or not. Other carriers (AA, AC, UA) all provide mid-flight snacks (sandwich plus an apple occasionally) to economy pax.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:59 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Is that Montys brand the same as the wrap that they serve (used to?) on Manila flights in Y?

Edit: googled montys and saw it is a UK company....and I remember the Manila wraps were also from the UK so I'm assuming they are the same.

Last edited by sxc; Apr 24, 2017 at 7:39 pm
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I suspect this will be heated/prepared in the J class galley and served by the J class crew?

If so, that is absolutely terrible given how undercrewed CX J class already is.

Originally Posted by bart simpson
Sounds like a legit improvement!

I have never flown any HKG-USA direct flights before, but I always wonder if two meals are actually enough or not. Other carriers (AA, AC, UA) all provide mid-flight snacks (sandwich plus an apple occasionally) to economy pax.
CX comes up with a smarter solution, the glorious mid flight meal and leave you hungry when you arrive ^
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ Gold
If it is the same as the Taipei/Manila wrap then nevermind... Those things are horrible with 90% wrap/10%filling... They used to put expiry dates on those things which go all the way to 4 years from when I ate (tried to) them if I can remember correctly...
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Enhancing the midflight snacks could be as simple as adding a couple of kinds of simple wrapped sandwiches, as SQ offers in Y.

I'm guessing these mass produced, long shelf life products are cheaper.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by fast03
If it is the same as the Taipei/Manila wrap then nevermind... Those things are horrible with 90% wrap/10%filling... They used to put expiry dates on those things which go all the way to 4 years from when I ate (tried to) them if I can remember correctly...
I'm 90% confident that they are the same wrap. If I'm not wrong, QR (and a lot of airlines who serve similar wraps) uses the same supplier too.

Yes, the wrap is made ages ago with a super long expiry date. Same applies to the CX economy meals that are loaded from Europe - they are not fresh but instead cooked long time ago.

Indeed, a lot of European airlines now use pre-made ready-eat meals instead of fresh meals for economy service. Even all QR ex-Europe and ex-Qatar economy class meals have super far expiry dates.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by bart simpson
I'm 90% confident that they are the same wrap. If I'm not wrong, QR (and a lot of airlines who serve similar wraps) uses the same supplier too.

Yes, the wrap is made ages ago with a super long expiry date. Same applies to the CX economy meals that are loaded from Europe - they are not fresh but instead cooked long time ago.

Indeed, a lot of European airlines now use pre-made ready-eat meals instead of fresh meals for economy service. Even all QR ex-Europe and ex-Qatar economy class meals have super far expiry dates.
It would be interesting if the meat was frozen in storage many months (years?) prior to it being cooked. Then it is thawed and prepared, then frozen again (for years?). So perhaps some of the meat in the filling is even older than the CX Y+ product! LOL

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I suspect this will be heated/prepared in the J class galley and served by the J class crew?

If so, that is absolutely terrible given how undercrewed CX J class already is.

CX comes up with a smarter solution, the glorious mid flight meal and leave you hungry when you arrive ^
Worse is you really starve when you get to HKG: They serve a meal at the beginning and middle of the flight out of ORD and nothing on arrival. When I got to HKG, most restaurants were already closed!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Questions for those who fly or flew CX Premium Economy on long-hauls:

1. Does CX offer menus for PE (or PEY as you call it)?

2. Can anyone confirm if stage length of the long-hauls has any difference on the types of meals and snacks?

I was thinking about this because I forgot to actually ask these questions while onboard CX flights last week, regardless of the fact that I was not in PEY.

I also know that other airlines have been "fiddling" around with the meals and snacks for that cabin.

Looking through this thread on AC, I realized that those on TPACs get a sandwich and a cookie, the longest flight YYZ-HKG get a sandwich, noodles and a cookie. Those poor folks on TATL heading to Europe get the cellophane-wrapped and next century expiry date slice of banana bread and a yogurt. I've seen the wrap on the outbound from Europe.

Menus and photos are in this AC thread if you want to scroll through.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...customers.html
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
There are two types of PEY at CX and the 'real' PEY begins from MLE (but not Dubai) and Australia and everything beyond that. The regional routes shorter than these have just the seat, better headsets but that's it, no PDB no amenities same meal and service as Y, blinds not drawn.

For 'real' PEY on medium/long haul there are menus distributed by hand as well as Evian/upscale bottled water and amenity kit. Meals have exactly the same entrees with J (for both services on a two meal flight) but different appetizer and desserts, and of course plated just like Y meal. Excluding this 'enhancement' coming later above, currently there are no special snacks for PEY, everything is the same as Y (I.e. Cup noodles and snack box in galley only). When Y and J have different meal timings PEY follows Y, but the entrees are still different.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
There are two types of PEY at CX and the 'real' PEY begins from MLE (but not Dubai) and Australia and everything beyond that. The regional routes shorter than these have just the seat, better headsets but that's it, no PDB no amenities same meal and service as Y, blinds not drawn.

For 'real' PEY on medium/long haul there are menus distributed by hand as well as Evian/upscale bottled water and amenity kit. Meals have exactly the same entrees with J (for both services on a two meal flight) but different appetizer and desserts, and of course plated just like Y meal. Excluding this 'enhancement' coming later above, currently there are no special snacks for PEY, everything is the same as Y (I.e. Cup noodles and snack box in galley only). When Y and J have different meal timings PEY follows Y, but the entrees are still different.
Thanks for the info!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by hikouki
It would be interesting if the meat was frozen in storage many months (years?) prior to it being cooked. Then it is thawed and prepared, then frozen again (for years?). So perhaps some of the meat in the filling is even older than the CX Y+ product! LOL
Haha actually I'm not surprised!

That's why I always order special meals when I fly out of Europe to avoid this, since most special meals are freshly made (oops except LH where IIRC special meals also have expiry dates in the far future)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.