Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Does checking in early online decrease your chance of getting an upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta

I was wondering if you check in early to a flight does it decrease your chance of getting a free upgrade since you are already assigned, whereas if you just go to the airline they can manually assign you a seat?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:41 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
I don't think it does but I could be wrong.

I've had cases where I went to the check in counter and wasn't upgraded. Upon going to the gate I was upgraded after. I've had most of my luck asking the gate counter for upgrades vs at check in.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Checking in early increases your chance of getting an upgrade, but not by much. Having a higher status can help greatly.

CX may offer upgrades at check-in, in the lounge or at the gate, and most likely in the lounge of at the gate. They only offer op-ups at check-in if they are quite sure your upgrade will hold. Even then they may still reverse it at the gate (and it happened before, but very seldom).

If they offer you op-up at check-in, they already processed the op-up list and you are on there, but not because there is no seat left. They will upgrade a higher status passenger to leave a lower cabin seat for you.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Thanks for your response.
What I mean is if I check in early online is it better or check in at the counter for a better chance of upgrade
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: CX MPC Silver, Hilton Gold
Hi Happyvoid: I always checked in online early (48 hrs before the flight) and have received many op-up. I don't know what the frequency would be if I don't check in early but I have heard that checking in early improves your chances of being op-up.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Originally Posted by Wudang
I have heard that checking in early improves your chances of being op-up.
This is a myth or perhaps was the case many years ago. I have a 100% guaranteed accurate source on this.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I felt checking in early or not has not got much to do with op up chances at all. CX has rules about op ups, some times when lower classes were heavily oversold, they start op up high tier elite flyers very early and we could even select upgraded seats at olci.
I personally felt most op-ups happens around -3 hours and normally it wouldn't matter if we've been assigned seats or not.
And when flights were not that oversold, it seems CX might need to wait until the last few pax checked in to actually op-up someone, and obviously again, it wouldn't matter if the pax selected been assigned seats or not
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: CX MPC Silver, Hilton Gold
I guess I had the wrong assumption about early checking and opt-up but at any case I still got many opt-up even though I usually checked in online. I am only a Silver member but have had many PEY to business opt-up on long distance flights like SFO-HK or HK-SFO.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: British Airways
For most airways, it's the contrary.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Wudang
I guess I had the wrong assumption about early checking and opt-up but at any case I still got many opt-up even though I usually checked in online. I am only a Silver member but have had many PEY to business opt-up on long distance flights like SFO-HK or HK-SFO.
There are several factors:
1. You checked in online. That means you checked in early. The BN or SEC starts at OLCI.
2. You purchased PEY. Due to the limited PEY seats, you can get op-upped easier when PEY or Y is oversold.
3. You are lucky. My wife has been a GO and SL the past 10 years or so and only had a birthday upgrade, but not a single op-up on the SFO route. Well, she has been flying in J, and perhaps J-F op-up is not as easy.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
There are several factors:
1. You checked in online. That means you checked in early. The BN or SEC starts at OLCI.
2. You purchased PEY. Due to the limited PEY seats, you can get op-upped easier when PEY or Y is oversold.
3. You are lucky. My wife has been a GO and SL the past 10 years or so and only had a birthday upgrade, but not a single op-up on the SFO route. Well, she has been flying in J, and perhaps J-F op-up is not as easy.
I guess SL in J was not good enough for op-ups to F.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
I guess SL in J was not good enough for op-ups to F.
There are only 6 F seats but many J seats. Many DMs fly J. So it is not easy for SL to get op-ups from J to F.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: CX
OP isn't even Green. Seriously, what's with so many threads of people dreaming for an OP-up. Want to be in business/first class? Then pay for it!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nolounge
OP isn't even Green. Seriously, what's with so many threads of people dreaming for an OP-up. Want to be in business/first class? Then pay for it!
My last 2 opup ex hkg i did olci on the airport bus to the airport. Just cuz i had nth better to do
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Non-Marco Polo club members have an almost zero chance of an operational upgrade. I remember watching a friend of mine argue the toss over this for about half an hour. I told him he was wasting his time, and he was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.