Wiki Posts
Search

CX to Philippine Air Connection

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
CX to Philippine Air Connection

I’m taking CX807 ORD to HKG, arriving 20:25PM.

I then connect to Manila on Philippine Air PR311 that departs at 22:15.

Everything I’ve read suggests that I should be OK with a 1:50 transfer time. I’m very comfortable with HKIA, and everyone says connections are a breeze. But I’ve never transferred there before; HK is always my destination, so I'm in unfamiliar territory.

I’m on CX807 3-4 times per year, and I’ve never arrived particularly late, so I’m thinking I’ll be OK on time.

I was looking online, and cannot find if CX will check through my baggage to PR. Does anyone know?

I’ve always seen a crowd of CX staff at the exit of the gangway waiting to assist with transfers, but I’ve never paid any attention to them. I presume they are for CX > CX connections?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Yes, CX will, and CX and PR definitely have interline agreement. https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-tickets.html
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Yes, CX will, and CX and PR definitely have interline agreement. https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-tickets.html
Thanks alot... appreciate the reply.

I had seen that, and it reads:

Through-check to final destination
Last updated: 20 Dec 2016

Effective 1 January 2017, as a courtesy, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will through-check you and your bags to your final destination if you are travelling on separate tickets involving connections with our airline partners. However, through-check may not be possible if your travel begins with an airline that does not provide separate ticket through-check service.

However, the CX website is not succinct in the language on it's "Alliance and partnerships" page.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...tnerships.html

They list their Oneworld alliances, of which Philippine Air is not a member. And it does list PR as a codeshare to Cebu, but that's it. They don't specific define partners.

I did find some blog that is has aged a few years, and I suspect it's relatively accurate, but I'd feel better knowing for sure.

https://hktravelblog.com/cathay-paci...age-interline/

I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but I just don't want any surprises on the ground when I've got a limited amount of time to solve it. :-)

I can always call MPC... but thought this would be quicker. :-)
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
This is a little different from the interlining theme you're going with, but if you haven't transited HKIA before some thoughts on transiting below.

I tried to search for a few posts I put up over the years, transiting at HKIA is a breeze but occasionally not *too* intuitive if you're looking to find the absolute fastest way. Essentially the transit areas simply serve to take you upstairs, from arrivals to departures. And since there are many transit areas, you can actually use any of them....because there is only 1 real "terminal" at HKG. See below

Connection Thread 1, post #4

Connection Thread 3, post #3

Also, just be aware the airlines' transit desks are only located at the W2/W1 and E2/E1 transit areas, aka if you need a boarding pass, check with PR about your interline, change your seat, etc. The other transit areas are security checkpoints only. For someone familiar with HKIA, W2/W1 are in the same part of the airport as The Bridge lounge, just on the arrivals level. E2/E1 are in the same vicinity as the airport immigration facilities (E2 is south, E1 is north). E2/E1 are the biggest transit facilities at HKIA followed by E2/E1, followed by the smaller transit areas under the "fingers" and "spine" of the terminal.

Note the smaller transit areas do not have airline desks. So you can only use the smaller transit areas if you already have your onward boarding pass. If you don't have an onward boarding pass, you will need to visit either the W or E transit area airline desks to pickup your boarding pass. Once you have your boarding pass, you can use any transit security to get to the departures level.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Are they on the same ticket? I think if it's on the same ticket then you shouldn't have any problem.

Like you said CX and PR seem to have an interline agreement...but it really depends on how the airline (or staff) defines "partners". Anyway honestly I think 1hr 50 is okay to exit and collect your bags and proceed to the check in counter. I've done that in under 30 minutes once, but that depends if you have priority tags and how far you are parked from the immigration plus if you have a frequent visitor pass or HK ID.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I've had them interline before CX to PR and vice verse though it's been a couple of year and before that notice you quoted. One way to find out is to just ask the agent at ORD to check your bag through to Manila, that should settle the subject. One note to point out is CX does have a code-share with PR so it is more likely that they will still interline on PR flights.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
This is a little different from the interlining theme you're going with, but if you haven't transited HKIA before some thoughts on transiting below.
As always... great info!

I'm pulling down a map of HKIA to find out the transit areas, and I'm sure this will help alot. This is exactly the type of info I was seeking when I wrote the post.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Are they on the same ticket? I think if it's on the same ticket then you shouldn't have any problem.

Like you said CX and PR seem to have an interline agreement...but it really depends on how the airline (or staff) defines "partners". Anyway honestly I think 1hr 50 is okay to exit and collect your bags and proceed to the check in counter. I've done that in under 30 minutes once, but that depends if you have priority tags and how far you are parked from the immigration plus if you have a frequent visitor pass or HK ID.
Not on the same ticket.

I do have e-Channel, but I really hope I don't have to use it. Flying J, so bags would be near the beginning if needed.

Thanks for the reply!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
I've had them interline before CX to PR and vice verse though it's been a couple of year and before that notice you quoted. One way to find out is to just ask the agent at ORD to check your bag through to Manila, that should settle the subject.
Of course, asking during check-in will indeed be the definitive answer. But I'm hoping to know before hand, so that I can be prepared.

I'm pretty sure they have an interline agreement, and your post just further confirms it. Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
I live in HK but also transit through HK a lot (long story) and it's very easy. My only tip would be - if there is a really long queue at the transit gate nearest where you land, go to another one. If you download the HKG airport app onto your phone, you can use the free wifi in the airport to find out your next gate very easily (saves running around looking for a board) and that will help to identify if going to another transit gate is sensible or not. (for example, if both arrival and next flight are close to E1, then stand in the queue) but if the next flight is closer to a different transit point, you can consider going over to see if that one is quicker. Usually only one is busy because a flight just came in or something, most of the time the transit gates only take a couple of minutes to get through.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
Of course, asking during check-in will indeed be the definitive answer. But I'm hoping to know before hand, so that I can be prepared.

I'm pretty sure they have an interline agreement, and your post just further confirms it. Thanks!
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-tickets.html indicates that any interline partner will do. CX and PR are interline partners.

Code:
W/*CX‡*PR«                                                      
 CX-160 CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS/CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS LTD       

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING                                  
       PR-079 PHILIPPINE AIRLINES/PHILIPPINE AIRLINES           

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO                                         
       PR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.