Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

USA Cathay Pacific Credit card from Synchrony Bank

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
USA Cathay Pacific credit card 40K miles card offer:

https://us.cathaypacific.com/offers/credit-card ($2000 spend, 90 days)

This 40k offer expires September 30, 2020.

Print Wikipost

USA Cathay Pacific Credit card from Synchrony Bank

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
I got the card when it was initially issued, close to 3 years ago now. Have not had any of the issues you describe and I've used it fairly regularly in China and HK, never a denied charge. I've stopped using the card about 6 months ago as I'm currently targeting other cards and hoping they send me some sort of offer to start using the card again.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by synthkeys
I got the card when it was initially issued, close to 3 years ago now. Have not had any of the issues you describe and I've used it fairly regularly in China and HK, never a denied charge. I've stopped using the card about 6 months ago as I'm currently targeting other cards and hoping they send me some sort of offer to start using the card again.
In terms of earning power I feel AMEX MR series have better accumulation, IMO.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
On local US spending, totally. Even for everyday spending, Amex you get 1.5x with EDP. But what about foreign spending?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Originally Posted by jediwho
On local US spending, totally. Even for everyday spending, Amex you get 1.5x with EDP. But what about foreign spending?
For my US spending it's AMEX all the way, AMEX Gold is giving 4x on dining and groceries and I also have Business Plat and take advantage of targeted offers. For foreign spend or situations where AMEX isn't accepted, I was using the Synchrony card, for foreign spending at 1.5x.
Late last year, I got the Capital One Spark card for business with 50K bonus after 5K and an additional 200K bonus after 50K spend over 6 months. Captial One applies 2x/$ but will redeem Asia miles at 750AM/1000 points, so effectively 1.5x on all spend, even foreign, so the Synchrony card is retired for now. When the year is up on the Synchrony card I will probably look to cancel and see if they offer some incentive to keep the card. It offers little benefit for me now.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: SQ, QR, CX, AA, UA
In August 2018, I received an email from [email protected] with the subject: An 8,000 Asia Miles Bonus Offer. The email included the below promotion to spend $8000 by 12/31 to earn 8000 bonus miles. I enrolled, got a confirmation of enrollment, met the spend and never received the miles. Per the guidelines, I waited two billing cycles after 12/31, then called Synchrony Bank, and they told me they had no record of this promo and that I had to call Asia Miles.
After multiple emails with CX, finally got the points.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:44 pm

Does anyone know if 1) you receive an instant credit card number? 2) they will ship a new credit card overseas?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: SQ, QR, CX, AA, UA
Originally Posted by soloflyer21
Does anyone know if 1) you receive an instant credit card number? 2) they will ship a new credit card overseas?
Don't know about overseas shipping, but my wife just applied and did not receive an instant credit card number, nor did I when I got the card.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I was approved for their 40,000 miles/$2000 spend in 90 days offer, which with $95 AF I price out as 42,000 miles for $135 (assuming a 2% cashback card, no dining/spend outside the US/Cathay spend).

I plan on taking it and then it's sock drawer, mostly (maybe some overseas/Cathay/dining spend to keep it alive until the anniversary). The Capital One Venture card accrues Asia Miles better via transfer than this one does. But for a churn and burn after one year this is OK (I'm not under Chase 5/24 until 2021), especially now that Asia Miles don't expire.
synthkeys likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:44 am

Got a targeted offer: 65k after 5k spend within 90 days.
Ends 3/31.

Is this a good offer?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
Ends 3/31.

Is this a good offer?
Not really. As a comparison, AM is not as worthy as AA. Also the spending are more (Citi AA requires 3K). And there is a AF (i.e. not waived).
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Not really. As a comparison, AM is not as worthy as AA. Also the spending are more (Citi AA requires 3K). And there is a AF (i.e. not waived).
Unfortunately I’ve hit every single worthwhile SUB for AA.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Unfortunately I’ve hit every single worthwhile SUB for AA.
I stand correct on my previous comment. However, if you really have no other alternative and you want to get something, I would say go ahead.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:21 am

I applied for this card 1 month ago with 40k after $2000 spend, and today the statement show I only got 32k instead of 42k? what is a good way to contact the company regard to bonus not post correctly? twitter, email or call? anyone call about bonus before? thank you!
Old Mar 25, 2020, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by newdaybegin
I applied for this card 1 month ago with 40k after $2000 spend, and today the statement show I only got 32k instead of 42k? what is a good way to contact the company regard to bonus not post correctly? twitter, email or call? anyone call about bonus before? thank you!
Was this a tiered bonus? For example x after y in spend + z after a in spend? If so in my case the second tier took a billing cycle or two to show up.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Ends 3/31.

Is this a good offer?
Maybe if you want a pile of Asia Miles as a signup churn and feel confident CX won’t go bust thanks to COVID-19, riots, etc and make your miles worthless. I think it’s not a terrible opportunity cost vs. a 2% cashback card (less than $200). You can probably get enough value to make it easily worth a churn.

The CX card is way weaker for ongoing spend than other cards, unless you can’t get a card that gives a multiplier for everyday or dining spend (spoiler: you probably can), and your everyday spend is primarily not denominated in USD. 1.5 AM for dining isn’t great (AMEX MR beats that for Green/Gold, xfer to AM), there are ways to get AMEX MR cards at 1.5x/2x for everyday spend too (Blue Business Plus, AMEX Everyday Preferred). Citi ThankYou or Capital One Venture are similar- you can transfer to other programs and get at least the same kind of ongoing spend multiple or better.

Originally Posted by newdaybegin

My actual statement pdf says 40k, bonus but the front page of the website for my account says 30k. I’ll call in and wave the actual statement at them if it doesn’t post as 40k. Nothing has posted to AM yet.

I also got an AMEX Green so now the CX card is REALLY getting sock drawered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.