Wiki Posts
Search

Seat selection on a cheap econ tix

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Seat selection on a cheap econ tix

I'm in unfamiliar territory here. Sorry if this is asked a lot.

I am buying a ticket for someone (no status) in Y econ and would like to make sure they don't get a middle seat. The delta between base econ and one that allows pre-booking of a seat is about a 50% increaae. I could book with miles, but the cash price is cheaper than the effective price of using 90k miles.

Is there anything I can do as a DM to select the seat for the pax in advance of the 48 hour online check-in window.

thanks
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
I'm in unfamiliar territory here. Sorry if this is asked a lot.

I am buying a ticket for someone (no status) in Y econ and would like to make sure they don't get a middle seat. The delta between base econ and one that allows pre-booking of a seat is about a 50% increaae. I could book with miles, but the cash price is cheaper than the effective price of using 90k miles.

Is there anything I can do as a DM to select the seat for the pax in advance of the 48 hour online check-in window.

thanks
unfortunately, not really. Your best bet is to call the MPC hotline. Technically they're not supposed to help you, and usually they won't. However, I suppose if you call/hang up/call again/hang up/call....you might eventually get someone who will do it for you.

I wasn't able to help out a family member recently, although I only tried once. So I think if you HUCA maybe you could succeed.

It seems to me they're really trying to enforce the different benefits based on the price you pay. I can't say that's a bad idea...
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
You can only get seat assignment for your travel companion if you are on the same flight. There is a possible way, but is a little unethical. You can book both of you, get seats assigned for both, and then only ticket your friend.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
CX does block a lot of seats until online check in so you might have some luck checking in real early.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
CX does block a lot of seats until online check in so you might have some luck checking in real early.
Agreed, book it, and just make sure you check-in online as early as you can.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
You can only get seat assignment for your travel companion if you are on the same flight. There is a possible way, but is a little unethical. You can book both of you, get seats assigned for both, and then only ticket your friend.

This looks like a good way and it doesn't seems to be unethical to me.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
This looks like a good way and it doesn't seems to be unethical to me.
I did that 10 years ago but was unintentional. It was for for SFO-HKG around CNY. Seats were tight. I gave up my seat guarantee to get priority waitlisting for my family. Seats were released two days later and I also had seats assigned ... Then my client asked me to stay in SFO Bay Area for a few more days. I ticketed my wife and kids flight first and I joined them a few days later.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I think they would let u use ur dm status to force the asr through unless....
asr is closed.

my girlfriend is a ows and normally she can reserve seat on s-class. Except next week on a laxhkg she couldnt... at that point i dont know if dm can help
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
I think they would let u use ur dm status to force the asr through unless....
asr is closed.

my girlfriend is a ows and normally she can reserve seat on s-class. Except next week on a laxhkg she couldnt... at that point i dont know if dm can help
ASR cannot be forced technically, but that probably what happened.

For the flight next week, I have no idea. Most flights are not full yet.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I'm currently booking also a cheap Y (class N) from HKG to BKK. I'm gold and the wife is silver. I can reserve my seat but when I click her name it blocks everything out.

In the booking summary it has under me "Marco Polo Gold" but under her name just an Asia Miles number. As I am logged into my account, is this why? Should she be able to reserve a seat as Silver? Should I be able to reserve for her as Gold?

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by beach86
I'm currently booking also a cheap Y (class N) from HKG to BKK. I'm gold and the wife is silver. I can reserve my seat but when I click her name it blocks everything out.

In the booking summary it has under me "Marco Polo Gold" but under her name just an Asia Miles number. As I am logged into my account, is this why? Should she be able to reserve a seat as Silver? Should I be able to reserve for her as Gold?

Thanks
Just make a call to the Marco Polo club and they will solve your problem.

(Audio)
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Audio
Just make a call to the Marco Polo club and they will solve your problem.

(Audio)
indeed
you just call
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by beach86

Thanks
recently i booked S class ticket and as a silver like your wife, i was able to pre-book my seats. So I think you just have to raise it to MPC attention and it would be sorted out easily
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Thank you all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.