Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Gold members lose access to LHR Arrivals lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:21 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

Per email today:

CLUB NOTICE
Partner airline changes eligibility for London Heathrow Arrivals Lounge access

Due to capacity restrictions, American Airlines has changed its access policy for the Arrivals Lounge at London Heathrow Airport, impacting all Marco Polo Club Gold members. From now on, Gold members who are not travelling in First or Business Class on Cathay Pacific will be excluded from access. On behalf of our partner airline, we sincerely apologise for this inconvenience. Please be reminded that all of our Gold members can continue to enjoy the use of the Cathay Pacific Arrivals Lounge in Hong Kong.
Has anyone used the AA London Arrivals lounge recently? Is it actually busy? It was never busy the times I went there pre-renovation.

If it's not busy, then capacity constraints is just an excuse, and CX doesn't want to pay the fee that AA is asking for but blaming it on AA.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: CX, Delta, Hyatt, SPG, AMEX
Arrivals

The CX arrivals lounge in Hong Kong is never very crowded when I have been there. (It is also not so convenient or inspiring to spend time in). Perhaps the BA arrivals lounge is available to more customers, or is more desirable, but that would surprise me.

I wonder with the change in CX arrivals at JFK to Terminal 8, if there will be arrivals benefits for MP Gold members?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:03 am

I haven't used it but it wouldn't surprise me if its getting full. Since the QF/EK tie up and BA moving some big flights to T3 you now have 2 A380s and a 747 dumping passengers at the same time as the overnight CX arrivals, in addition to all the AA flights coming in.

To be honest i never knew Gold got you access. I always thought it was class of travel only.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by ejk0366
The CX arrivals lounge in Hong Kong is never very crowded when I have been there. (It is also not so convenient or inspiring to spend time in). Perhaps the BA arrivals lounge is available to more customers, or is more desirable, but that would surprise me.
Try 0600 to 0830 when all overnight long haul landed and many people tried to get a shower / breakfast before going straight to meeting / work....
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG GO
Originally Posted by sscywong
Try 0600 to 0830 when all overnight long haul landed and many people tried to get a shower / breakfast before going straight to meeting / work....
The few times I went to HK's arrival lounge between 6-8am it's pretty empty. There might be a queue for shower but there's always fewer than 10 people in the dining/sitting area.

Last time I went to LHR's arrival lounge in the morning (shortly after it got refurbished) there were only people in the buffet area.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: TK*G
I used it once around 3 years ago. There wasn't a lot of passengers inside.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-busi...rrivals-lounge
And I remember the lounge was just recently renovated actually!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
I used to use the AA lounge in LHR about once per year. I rarely saw more than a dozen people in there at most when arriving into London early morning.

I generally left about 8ish
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:29 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Reports here that the lounge is still not that busy after the renovation.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-thread-6.html
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Somehow I feel that AA is not dictating the policy but the $$ that CX is paying.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Somehow I feel that AA is not dictating the policy but the $$ that CX is paying.
That's what I am thinking right now as well..
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:55 pm

Landed around 7/8AM on a Friday, was empty, got shower immediately. I loved the space, food was very nicely displayed. Decent food selection, and you could also order a few breakfast dishes (but no one actually asked me). It was a good way to freshen up after a long flight in case my hotel didn't allow me to check-in early.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by chfshifter
The few times I went to HK's arrival lounge between 6-8am it's pretty empty. There might be a queue for shower but there's always fewer than 10 people in the dining/sitting area.

Last time I went to LHR's arrival lounge in the morning (shortly after it got refurbished) there were only people in the buffet area.

Maybe you were there on a weekend?

The couple of times in the morning that I went there, it was packed and there wasn't a single seat available. I left and went to the Plaza Premium Arrival lounge, vowing to never go back to the CX arrivals lounge again.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:02 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Let's keep this discussion to the London Arrivals lounge busy-ness, rather than the HKG arrivals lounge.

Thanks
sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:42 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

https://www.businesstraveller.com/ne...throw-lounges/

A Plaza Premium T3 arrivals lounge to open. I wonder if CX will switch to this once it opens, and grant Gold members access again.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
From the AA website-Note OWEs

London Heathrow (LHR)
Location & hours

Exit to the right of the Terminal 3 Customs Hall. Take the stairs or lift to Level 2.

Open daily: 5 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Access

Customers who can access the lounge when arriving on a same-day flight:*

First and Business Class travelers
AAdvantageŽ Executive Platinum/oneworldŽ Emerald SM members
British Airways Premier members

Flying on British Airways, Cathay Pacific or Qantas?

Customers who can access the lounge when arriving on a same-day flight:*

First, Business Class, oneworldŽEmeraldSM and British Airways Premier customers on long-haul international flights marketed and operated by British Airways.
First and Business Class customers on long-haul international flights marketed and operated by Qantas, or marketed by British Airways and operated by Qantas, or marketed by Qantas and operated by British Airways.
First and Business Class customers on long-haul international flights marketed and operated by Cathay Pacific.

Amenities

Shower suites with C.O. Bigelow products
Valet ironing service
Dental & shaving kits (by request)
Full breakfast & lunch buffet
Coffee, espresso & champagne bar
Wi-Fi & Business Center

*Flights must be operated and marketed by American, or marketed by British Airways and operated by American. Customers traveling on airline industry non-revenue tickets are not eligible for access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.