Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Any Tips for Flying with a 12 month old Baby in Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I will be flying to Malaysia from New York (NYC to HKG to KUL). We've flown this route about 10 times without a child. And, now we have a new baby, well infant (She's a very good flyer and usually sleep through most flights). I'm trying to figure out the best way of approaching the trip.

1. I know that business class does not allow for car seats. So, I'm wondering what we should do.

2. We will be purchasing the two adult tickets via AA Advantage miles. Does it make sense to purchase the 3rd ticket with AA miles or to buy with dollars through Cathay Pacific?

3. Are we making this all a little too complicated? Instead, should we just purchase one ticket in business and two in economy (this way my wife and I can alternate taking naps with a seat that actually reclines all the way).

4. I know they offer bassinets, but it says that children over 6 months may not be comfortable...

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated! I've searched the web for answers about bassinets etc, and I really can't get many straight answers. I also searched FlyerTalk but could only find a posting from 2015, and I know they've changed some of their seating configurations since then.

Thanks so much!

Arin
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by nexes
My wife and I will be flying to Malaysia from New York (NYC to HKG to KUL). We've flown this route about 10 times without a child. And, now we have a new baby, well infant (She's a very good flyer and usually sleep through most flights). I'm trying to figure out the best way of approaching the trip.

1. I know that business class does not allow for car seats. So, I'm wondering what we should do.

2. We will be purchasing the two adult tickets via AA Advantage miles. Does it make sense to purchase the 3rd ticket with AA miles or to buy with dollars through Cathay Pacific?

3. Are we making this all a little too complicated? Instead, should we just purchase one ticket in business and two in economy (this way my wife and I can alternate taking naps with a seat that actually reclines all the way).

4. I know they offer bassinets, but it says that children over 6 months may not be comfortable...

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated! I've searched the web for answers about bassinets etc, and I really can't get many straight answers. I also searched FlyerTalk but could only find a posting from 2015, and I know they've changed some of their seating configurations since then.
Be careful about the infant ticket, if you only go the lap child route. Many times, if it's a lap child, the 10% charge plus taxes can be a big number.

Some airlines will not let you change cabins during the flight.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:16 pm

First, find out how much they charge for infant for a tix in J. Then decide from there...
1. Pay cash for a lap child (likely to be around $800 to $1000), or
2. Pay miles for a seat for the child. Hold him during seatbelt time.
12 months is too big for those bassinet. It is more for 3 months old and under practically speaking.

CX usually don't like people switch seats between different cabins in flight.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I am uncertain if you can buy lap child tickets if you did award redemption for the adult tickets. Even if you can, it will cost a lot (more than USD1000, perhaps in the range of USD2000) as mentioned by Jaimito Cartero.

No, you cannot swap seats. Only the business passenger can come to economy. The ISM may likely allow you to swap seats once only throughout the flight.

That depends on the size of your baby. I would say 9 months may be the limit for an average infant. You can also consider buying three PEY tickets.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses... guess we may all be doing coach.... It seems like ages 6 months - 3 years is a difficult situation for child travel with Cathay Pacific. I definitely want to be able to safely keep our child restrained at times. I guess the only way to do that is in coach. Kind of a bummer car seats don't work with the new business class configuration.

Thanks again all for the info.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: CX DM, IHG G, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Silver
On switching seats: you can do it once during the flight; in other words, the swapped passenger cannot go back to his/her original seat.
I was told that this is the policy by the gate agent. She said that some ISMs may be more flexible but that the policy is one swap only. Understandable because they don't want a round robin going on.

On the other hand, the cabin will be mostly dark for some of the flight time, you could actually do a "roundtrip" switch if you are discreet.

Why not try PEY alternative? The only issue is the HKG--KUL flight which might not have PEY, but it's a short flight.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
PEY in 32HK with the bassinet ahead sounds like a decent option. But OP wants to grAAb, so PEY is not an option in this case.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

I think Premium Economy is the way we'll try to go. Do you know if you can pay for a PEY upgrade after using AA Advantage miles for a ticket?

Thanks for all the help!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Why PEY? That seems to be the worst way to go and you have the worst of both worlds. In PE, the seats don't go back all the way, and you will have trouble putting your baby "lie flat" (do the arm rests even come up between seats in PE?). At least for Y, the arm rests come up and you will be able to put the baby flat.

In J, you can lie flat, and perhaps allow the baby to sleep prone on you.

FWIW, I have put my daughter in a bassinet at 1y+. Thing is her legs will come out of the bassinet (but if she is OK sleeping like that, its fine).
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by xp2000
On switching seats: you can do it once during the flight; in other words, the swapped passenger cannot go back to his/her original seat.
I was told that this is the policy by the gate agent. She said that some ISMs may be more flexible but that the policy is one swap only. Understandable because they don't want a round robin going on.
ha no. exactly zero swaps are technically allowed.

in addition, technically US rules prohibited crossing cabins on flights that touch US soil, although this has been (quietly) eliminated a few months ago.

i haven't personally witnessed what you're describing, the "one off" permitted swap (while I've seen it denied countless times...both in F and J), but I wouldn't doubt that it has happened before. However, I have seen so many people ask to swap. The answer almost always is "you can swap before the flight departs and not again after that". Translation: you can't swap.

However like anything, YMMV and the ISM has a great degree of discretion. I'm sure this happens from time to time. But it's not policy at all and overall you should absolutely count on NOT being allowed to swap your seat mid-flight. This is not normal at all.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by QRC3288
ha no. exactly zero swaps are technically allowed.

in addition, technically US rules prohibited crossing cabins on flights that touch US soil, although this has been (quietly) eliminated a few months ago.

i haven't personally witnessed what you're describing, the "one off" permitted swap (while I've seen it denied countless times...both in F and J), but I wouldn't doubt that it has happened before. However, I have seen so many people ask to swap. The answer almost always is "you can swap before the flight departs and not again after that". Translation: you can't swap.

However like anything, YMMV and the ISM has a great degree of discretion. I'm sure this happens from time to time. But it's not policy at all and overall you should absolutely count on NOT being allowed to swap your seat mid-flight. This is not normal at all.

CX doesn't usually allow swap seat (or I guess we talk about sharing a J seat), however, in OP's case. If tell ISM that they want to look over the baby half way each, I'm sure the ISM will allow at least one swap.

BUT, J & Y separation is a very bad idea. Basically each one of you will have 7+ hours very hard time. I personally would prefer the whole family to be together all the time.

Originally Posted by ermen
Why PEY? That seems to be the worst way to go and you have the worst of both worlds. In PE, the seats don't go back all the way, and you will have trouble putting your baby "lie flat" (do the arm rests even come up between seats in PE?). At least for Y, the arm rests come up and you will be able to put the baby flat.

In J, you can lie flat, and perhaps allow the baby to sleep prone on you.

FWIW, I have put my daughter in a bassinet at 1y+. Thing is her legs will come out of the bassinet (but if she is OK sleeping like that, its fine).
I don't understand what the arm rests got anything to do with baby sleeping. You mean the baby take the two adult seats during flight? So where the OP & his wife going to sit, standing during the whole flight?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i travelled with my 23mth baby in J before. if u r small u cud technically sleep side by side in a J seat... at 12mth u shud be ok... one way or other sharing seat in J is 100% better than Y or PEY.

i always make sure family is together. in case of an emergency you want to escape together or help ur family out... yes it almost never happens but if that happens and u loose ur kid and wife cuz they were in Y and u were in J, you will never be same
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by Ausriver
CX doesn't usually allow swap seat (or I guess we talk about sharing a J seat), however, in OP's case. If tell ISM that they want to look over the baby half way each, I'm sure the ISM will allow at least one swap.

BUT, J & Y separation is a very bad idea. Basically each one of you will have 7+ hours very hard time. I personally would prefer the whole family to be together all the time.
Nonsense..

Almost all ISM's are mothers, and certainly don't mind

When our 5 year old was young, we'd take 1 J and 2 PY or Y and swap to on long haul so each only had to do 5-6 hrs with the baby.. then had 5-6 hrs peace.. arrived alive.

Everyone being miserable is a receipt for divorce.

I love my children greatly, but on airplanes young, they are the biggest threat to any marriage.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:39 am

My wife sleep with my son(23 months old) on the same J seat from JFK to HKG roundtrip, so I suggest you asking CX for the infant ticket price. Back to March, my infant ticket was still 25% of regular adult fare which is $2000, but I heard that they change the rule, now should be 10% of the fare
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: MPC DM, SPG Plat
We've traveled 4 times in J to Europe and my wife or I have always slept with our baby on us or next to us. The only distraction for my baby were the lights on the remote control (overstimulation).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.