Wiki Posts
Search

Is CX gravitating towards Star?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by clansey1973
Just reading about a comprehensive alliance between CX/AC across the pacific. I find it strange that CA and AC both have such stronger Alliances with CX than CX's OneWorld brethren?!
AC needs a partner to get to places that no *A flies to , eg Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia. It is normal for airlines to take on partners that are not part of an alliance.

eg.. QF/EK, MH/EK..

Besides Cathay Pacific was a partner on AC's Aeroplan in the 80s and 90s.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
AC needs a partner to get to places that no *A flies to , eg Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia. It is normal for airlines to take on partners that are not part of an alliance.
Huh? At least four *A carriers - NH, OZ, SQ, and TG - fly to all those countries. Two (NH and OZ) offer AC one-stop connections.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Kacee
Huh? At least four *A carriers - NH, OZ, SQ, and TG - fly to all those countries. Two (NH and OZ) offer AC one-stop connections.

You might want to re-read my post #14. It will give you an idea why things are not so great with those *A partners and why some or many of us are not buying AC tickets partnered with them as a result. (also why I point out that by buying my ticket to SIN from CX, I don't have to deal with those hassles)
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 24left
You might want to re-read my post #14. It will give you an idea why things are not so great with those *A partners and why some or many of us are not buying AC tickets partnered with them as a result. (also why I point out that by buying my ticket to SIN from CX, I don't have to deal with those hassles)
You might want to reread my comment. I wasn't responding to your post. I was responding to the statement that there are no *A carriers flying to Malaysia, the Philippines, or Indonesia. Because that's just nonsense.

And I'm not sure that codesharing with CX is going to solve the problem of AC booking you into Y when you think you're buying a J ticket. Because that's an AC issue.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
.....And I'm not sure that codesharing with CX is going to solve the problem of AC booking you into Y when you think you're buying a J ticket. Because that's an AC issue.
Obviously. BTW, they claim that is what SQ and NH are selling to AC.

I recall telling one AC agent, hmmm, so I should buy a J ticket from AC where my connection on the *A artner to SIN will be in Y and pay you over $7,000 CAD for the privilege? LOL

Thus, IMHO, these images sum it up nicely.

And yes, I'm aware that this matters not one bit to those CX forum posters who do not live here or fly the routes some of us do, but since we choose to fly CX, I'm sure we can offer an opinion.

Attached Images   
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

eg.. QF/EK, MH/EK..

Besides Cathay Pacific was a partner on AC's Aeroplan in the 80s and 90s.
I think that you mean "where no *A has a home base".
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Haha mate , come on....I know this is the popular news de jour but...

Cathay is 20 something pct owned by Air China, and also owns part of Air China via a share swap. They also have a cargo JV together. Relationships don't get much deeper than ownership. CX has also had codeshares with some *A carriers for quite some time, notably Air New Zealand. Just because of those long-standing ties, it doesn't mean CX was preparing to join *A then, any more than they are now. CX is facing extremely enhanced competition mainland China to North America via the US carriers' (primarily AA from CXs perspective) massive expansion to mainland Chinese cities in the last 5 years, from ORD, DFW and LAX. This has put pressure on a lot of CXs feeder yields via KA....a lot of CX's former OW bread and butter pax originally would fly nonstop via HKG, and then feed via KA to China. This is gravy for CX: 2x KA segments and 2x longhaul CX segments. But when American flies PVG-ORD, DFW, etc. now, CX loses *two* segments: the short-haul KA sector and the CX long-haul sector.

To make matters worse from CX's perspective, AA has not only launched DFW-HKG (which they pretended wouldn't compete....guess what, it did), and now LAX-HKG. So now CX can even lose the long-haul segment. The triple whammy happens when CX now has to compete with price on their own long-haul routes to North America, which further impacts yield

Anyway, Air Canada has a superior reputation in the US, where the 3 major carriers have been the subject of dinner table jokes for decades, and also has some killer fare deals on connecting traffic ex US. I suspect this has something to do with it...

Although the fact it's over the pacific isn't really relevant!

Calling alliance partners "bretheren" is feel good nonsense that doesn't pass muster in these airlines' revenue mgmt departments. "Frenemies" is a better term.
For the 3rd last paragraph: they clearly haven't dealt with >1hr wait times and their 10 across aircraft (unfortunately, coming soon to CX)
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
I don't believe this tie-up has any coordination of the HKG-Canada sectors. It's just an agreement for Air Canada to sell CX sectors within Asia and CX to sell sectors within Canada as part of their respective itineraries. I might be wrong though but I haven't seen any announcements that suggest a deeper JV arrangement like EK and QF have.
Which they already have through existing interline agreements.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It does feel like CX does compete more with its OW partners than it coordinates. MH and JL in Asia, BA they are more or less direct competitors and increasingly so with AA. QR does compete for much of the same Europe to Asia flow as well.

Star is probably a better fit and will result in the BA golds and AA exps to switch to CX. Also star doesnt allow top tier members into their first class lounges, increasing the value of Diamond.

SQ and perhaps BR will object to CX joining star. I think SQ and perhaps BR joining one world would be complementary. SQ competes with UA and used to codeshare with US for USA, so they are already close with the AA management team. There is less overlap with JAL (some fifth freedoms, but less overall competition with SIN being further south). MH may object to SQ joining ow but MH is much smaller than it used to be.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by ericcheung
It does feel like CX does compete more with its OW partners than it coordinates. MH and JL in Asia, BA they are more or less direct competitors and increasingly so with AA. QR does compete for much of the same Europe to Asia flow as well.

Star is probably a better fit and will result in the BA golds and AA exps to switch to CX. Also star doesnt allow top tier members into their first class lounges, increasing the value of Diamond.

SQ and perhaps BR will object to CX joining star. I think SQ and perhaps BR joining one world would be complementary. SQ competes with UA and used to codeshare with US for USA, so they are already close with the AA management team. There is less overlap with JAL (some fifth freedoms, but less overall competition with SIN being further south). MH may object to SQ joining ow but MH is much smaller than it used to be.
CX would object to CX joining Star! The shear idea is nothing short of lunacy.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Wasn't this same topic the subject of another thread a few months ago?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:47 am
Suspended

I posted in this thread due to his comments about CX and *A.

Otherwise, this is a very interesting article from Cranky Flyer if for no other reason than pointing out the importance of China and the relationships with various U.S. carriers.

April 3, 2017

http://crankyflier.com/2017/04/03/th...uture-in-asia/

(if there is more than one thread on this topic, perhaps a merge?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.