Wiki Posts
Search

CX upgrade priority query

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
CX upgrade priority query

Greetings to everyone who frequents this board. I've not posted here before but am, rather humbly, seeking your advice on a query to do with upgrade priority on CX.

Through my status on BA, I'm able to gift a BA Gold (OWE) card to my girlfriend, who is currently a CX Gold. She flies from HK on CX frequently and my sense was that she would be best to hide her CX Gold card in a drawer somewhere and to use the BA Gold card and FF number on her bookings as she would have a better chance of being op-uped as a BA OWE member than a CX OWS member. To be honest, this view was only forged through my own experiences of being upgraded far more frequently on CX than I am on BA!

Obviously the alternative would be for her to keep her CX status in the booking, and just to use the BA card to access first class check-in/lounges etc.

Which do you think would be the preferred approach?

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Last edited by crazyanglaisy; Oct 8, 2016 at 7:23 am Reason: error in drafting
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
It's noble thinking but the logic doesn't work here!

Cx op priority is:

1) CX DM
2) CX GO
3) Partner OWE
4) Etc etc
Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Also bear in mind that if the flight isn't full, opup may not happen
Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:24 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
If you somehow know there will be a high chance of OPUP then keep CXGO in booking and use BA to access the F lounge as you said.

If you know that the load is light and opup chance is nil, then Id say keep BA for both, as time and again the onboard service for Emeralds is superior than for CXGO's.

Obviously she will also need to requalify though, right? So you should think about that part...
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Thanks for the clarification. This was very much just about maximising the possibility of an op-up, rather than expecting one. It definitely seems like the best idea is to just use the BA status to access the first class benefits on the ground, which I think would be valued more than being treated differently by the cabin crew on board.

Looking at the priority that CX adopts, and having myself been upgraded J-->F on 4 of my last 8 sectors between Europe and Hong Kong in the last 7 months, I can only conclude that I have been EXTREMELY lucky!
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by QRC3288

Cx op priority is:

1) CX DM
2) CX GO
3) Partner OWE
4) Etc etc
Correct,except that staff goes belowe CX GO and above partner OWE.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Also bear in mind that if the flight isn't full, opup may not happen
You meant to say "opup will not happen" right?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Also, I think OWE is not included if there is a 'sweep' for op up at T-48/24 OLCI because the online system cannot distinguish between OWE/S/R. In those cases, SL will be more advantaged than OWE (please correct if this is contrary to your experience).
Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Correct,except that staff goes belowe CX GO and above partner OWE.
Ah yes, my bad. It goes DM->GO->Staff->OWE->etc. etc.

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Also, I think OWE is not included if there is a 'sweep' for op up at T-48/24 OLCI because the online system cannot distinguish between OWE/S/R. In those cases, SL will be more advantaged than OWE (please correct if this is contrary to your experience).
Ah yes, this is also correct. A ground agent explained something to this extent to me a few years ago. Basically if op-up happens super early, it sweeps all the MPC categories. Neither OWE nor OWS are utilised.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
if there are two op-ups needs to be done, would a DM+SL travelling together been chosen or 2 GO pax be chosen? Anyone know?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by Ausriver
if there are two op-ups needs to be done, would a DM+SL travelling together been chosen or 2 GO pax be chosen? Anyone know?
In the old system, Should be the DM and the higher GO (one who checked in earlier). Have had something similar (though not exactly the same), 2 or more needed to be p-upped J->F on SFO-HKG, I got one at the check in counter but my GO Wife (on the same booking) did not, since 'we have to process other DMs first'. They did suggest redeeming an instant award, or just waiting in case 'she got lucky'. (She did)

Not sure how the 'new' system changes this.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 9:41 pm

Since CX changed to a CIV-type score I haven't had a single upgrade as a BAEC member. Before that i was probably on a 25% hit rate, and more like 50% from PE to J. Now, even if on the same booking as my DM girlfriend, when they offer her an upgrade they refuse me.

I would recommend your girlfriend keeps using the CX Gold card.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288

Cx op priority is:

1) CX DM
2) CX GO
3) Partner OWE
4) Etc etc
I am pretty sure CIV-score is a major factor nowadays. I have many personal experiences that as DM I was passed over for an upgrade C to F to my friend (on the same flight), who is flying much more than I have with Cathay Pacific in both C and F class (I fly mostly C class and rarely F, and I don't always fly Cathay but he tries to fly exclusively Cathay). He is OWE.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I am pretty sure CIV-score is a major factor nowadays. I have many personal experiences that as DM I was passed over for an upgrade C to F to my friend (on the same flight), who is flying much more than I have with Cathay Pacific in both C and F class (I fly mostly C class and rarely F, and I don't always fly Cathay but he tries to fly exclusively Cathay). He is OWE.
Wow. Great anecdote. I didn't realize these types of things were happening.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jagmeets
In the old system, Should be the DM and the higher GO (one who checked in earlier). Have had something similar (though not exactly the same), 2 or more needed to be p-upped J->F on SFO-HKG, I got one at the check in counter but my GO Wife (on the same booking) did not, since 'we have to process other DMs first'. They did suggest redeeming an instant award, or just waiting in case 'she got lucky'. (She did)

Not sure how the 'new' system changes this.
I see... So it means DM + SL will not make the SL over take the GOs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.