Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mid-Tier benefit: Bookable Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
What if equipment changes?

I have just managed to apply one bookable upgrade from M -> I on an A333 service (The one without a premium economy cabin) for SIN-HKG. My question is: What happens if, due to an equipment swap, as they appear to happen quite often on this route, the plane I will be flying on suddenly has a PE cabin? Will they downgrade me to PE, or allow me to stay in business? After all, it is not my decision if they decide to change the aircraft. And in this particular case I will be travelling with my wife and infant daughter, who will together be sitting in business anyway (Full redemption), so I would not like it very much (And neither would my wife) if I was bumped down one cabin while they stay seated in the front... Any experiences with this?

Last edited by NetJets Germany; Aug 16, 2018 at 11:12 pm Reason: Tidying up typos
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by tfung
One thing that I really don't quite get, is why after using a bookable upgrade, you cannot check-in online anymore, but must check in at check in desk at the airport... Seems a bit weird since they pull the upgrade from your account and issue a new e-ticket after processing the upgrade... wonder when they will make the whole process more seamless and faster? I guess asking a bit too much from CX IT dept?
What's worse is if you have a connection. My wife and I did ORD-SFO-HKG in which the SFO-HKG leg was a bookable upgrade. That became an absolute nightmare as AA could not issue the boarding pass for SFO-HKG when we checked in at ORD due to it being a bookable upgrade. So we'd have to check-in from scratch at SFO for our flight to HKG. But the AA flight from ORD-SFO was delayed to the point where we had 40 mins from arrival at SFO to departure to HKG.

The stress of wondering whether we would make it ruined the trip. I will NEVER combine bookable upgrades with connections again.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
So i have 2 more bookable upgrade coupons to use by year end, but every trip i have tried to use them on (mostly travels to shanghai and singapore and tokyo) I have had the upgrade request denied. I am beginning to think these vouchers are a bit useless. As most of my travel is booked last minute. Anyone have any experience with calling into the MPO club line to ask them to push your request up? or to force the system to release a seat in an upgradable class? I dont want to loose them by the end of the year!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by randomeejit
So i have 2 more bookable upgrade coupons to use by year end, but every trip i have tried to use them on (mostly travels to shanghai and singapore and tokyo) I have had the upgrade request denied. I am beginning to think these vouchers are a bit useless. As most of my travel is booked last minute. Anyone have any experience with calling into the MPO club line to ask them to push your request up? or to force the system to release a seat in an upgradable class? I dont want to loose them by the end of the year!
You can simply ask them to extend the validity of the booking upgrade vouchers for you. I will be extremely surprised if they do not honor to you. I know a few of friends who asked and all got extended. Obviously, it is not guaranteed but I will be surprised if they deny your extension request.
OneWorldLoyalist likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:45 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
So I have two bookable upgrades confirmed from KUL to HKG on Dec 16th. Economy B to Business I.

My wife will have to delay her flight for at least 5-6 days.

Since I'm within the 15 days if being able to change/cancel, is the bookable upgrade on hers wasted now or will Marco Polo moved the bookable upgrade to the new date?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:35 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by blum81
So I have two bookable upgrades confirmed from KUL to HKG on Dec 16th. Economy B to Business I.

My wife will have to delay her flight for at least 5-6 days.

Since I'm within the 15 days if being able to change/cancel, is the bookable upgrade on hers wasted now or will Marco Polo moved the bookable upgrade to the new date?

answered my own question. They allowed me to have my mid-tier upgrade back to use for the future.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Can anyone explain what happens to a ticket in terms of re-issuance after a BUD has been applied?

Shortly after my upgrade confirmed I selected seats by messaging CX through Facebook, and the agent informed me to contact reservations as my ticket wasn't issued. I called in twice and both phone agents said the ticket was issued, but on Manage My Booking I still have the warning message "Please issue ticket to access your baggage information."
Old May 2, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
I have just managed to apply one bookable upgrade from M -> I on an A333 service (The one without a premium economy cabin) for SIN-HKG. My question is: What happens if, due to an equipment swap, as they appear to happen quite often on this route, the plane I will be flying on suddenly has a PE cabin? Will they downgrade me to PE, or allow me to stay in business? After all, it is not my decision if they decide to change the aircraft. And in this particular case I will be travelling with my wife and infant daughter, who will together be sitting in business anyway (Full redemption), so I would not like it very much (And neither would my wife) if I was bumped down one cabin while they stay seated in the front... Any experiences with this?
Hi @NetJets Germany, can you please let me know which HKG-SIN flights have no PE? Is it all the flights on the A330-300 ?

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by flubber
Hi @NetJets Germany, can you please let me know which HKG-SIN flights have no PE? Is it all the flights on the A330-300 ?

Thanks!
Honestly, it is not exactly clear-cut, as CX operates both A333s with and without PE. There are also some 772s and 773s on this route that don’t have PE, but which will have regional (I.e. non lie-flat) business class seats. And CX are notorious for changing their equipment on this route at short notice.

If anything can be said with any certainty on this route, I would venture to say that you are more likely to get upgraded from Y to a recliner J class seat than a lie-flat one. In other words, it is not really worth it. Unless you are booked in PE, in which case your chances will be slightly better for a lie-flat J seat, but you would still be living life in the edge until you’ll have actually boarded your plane.
flubber likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
If anything can be said with any certainty on this route, I would venture to say that you are more likely to get upgraded from Y to a recliner J class seat than a lie-flat one. In other words, it is not really worth it. Unless you are booked in PE, in which case your chances will be slightly better for a lie-flat J seat, but you would still be living life in the edge until you’ll have actually boarded your plane.
Well, I woudn't be bothered as I have to use those short-haul upgrades anyway. I always take Y on short-haul so may as well use them. Thanks again!
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Just had a time wasting experience with the bookable upgrade.

Submitted a bookable upgrade for 1 pax on a multi-pax booking. System accepted the request and I expected that it would split the booking and process the upgrade if confirmed.

72 hours later, I get an email saying it's unsuccessful because there you can't process upgrade for only part pax of the booking. If this is the case, then why does it let one submit such a request to begin with??

Luckily, I was still far out enough to split the booking and submit a new request, which took another 72 hours. So total 6 days gone in this upgrade process.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:23 pm

Couple months ago I had submitted a Y to J bookable upgrade request which cleared into J, at the time it was a 2 class flight.

Aircraft now changed to 3 class J/W/Y, although MMB is still showing that I'm confirmed in J with my J seat allocation intact.

Has anyone had experience with this? Will CX honour the upgrade to J or will I later find out that they'll seat me in W?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
I would be surprised if you’re bumped down to W..as of now, you hold a ticket in J- no clue if you were to make any changes however(like same flight, which say now has regularly scheduled W, to a different date)
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets
I would be surprised if you’re bumped down to W..as of now, you hold a ticket in J- no clue if you were to make any changes however(like same flight, which say now has regularly scheduled W, to a different date)
I hope the logic applies but I don't "hold a ticket" in J. The way I've found bookable upgrades work is that they don't touch the e-ticket, if I ask for the eticket to be resent to me it comes in Y, but they update the booking somehow with the new class. It's not really a reissue.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: CX MPC DM, SQ Krisflyer Elite Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by midlevels
I hope the logic applies but I don't "hold a ticket" in J. The way I've found bookable upgrades work is that they don't touch the e-ticket, if I ask for the eticket to be resent to me it comes in Y, but they update the booking somehow with the new class. It's not really a reissue.
I just checked my e-ticket after using a book able upgrade and they have changed the booking class to the revised class. However I do agree that the e-ticket number doesn’t change. So I assume in your case you’d be ‘honoured’ the J seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.