Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Change to PEY food? New economy tableware

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2016, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

I flew CX 163 from HKG to MEL yesterday in PEY. I noticed two things.

Firstly, the PEY meals appeared to be the same as the Y meals for both lunch and dinner. Previously, I thought that PEY gets one Y meal and one J meal. I was sitting in the last row of PEY so I could easily see what Y was being served and it was exactly the same.

Secondly, there is new serving trays and dishes for Y (and PEY). The new ones have higher, straighter sides. The cutlery comes in a napkin clipped with a green thing that looks like a tuning fork with the Cathay brushwing on it. I assume it is part of the new rebranding.

I don't think the food itself had changed, we had a bream dish I have had before for lunch and a pretty good Thai chicken curry for dinner.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 5:50 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Were both your meals served in foil or was one in ceramic?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

They were both in plastic trays with a foil top on the hot dish. No ceramic, and not the crescent shaped dishes you get in J. Also the FAs just wheeled the cart up to PEY and then proceeded back into Y. At least we got served first! I didn't really mind, PEY on Cathay is more about the hard product anyway. But I wonder whether this is a permanent change.

On my MEL-HKG leg a few days earlier, I was in Y and they used the older style tray and dishes. So these must be brand new.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I flew CX 163 from HKG to MEL yesterday in PEY. I noticed two things.

Firstly, the PEY meals appeared to be the same as the Y meals for both lunch and dinner. Previously, I thought that PEY gets one Y meal and one J meal. I was sitting in the last row of PEY so I could easily see what Y was being served and it was exactly the same.

Secondly, there is new serving trays and dishes for Y (and PEY). The new ones have higher, straighter sides. The cutlery comes in a napkin clipped with a green thing that looks like a tuning fork with the Cathay brushwing on it. I assume it is part of the new rebranding.

I don't think the food itself had changed, we had a bream dish I have had before for lunch and a pretty good Thai chicken curry for dinner.
I was in PEY on 163 yesterday and noticed similar when walking laps through Y, haha. I thought the "tuning fork" was a classy touch. The new blankets and pillows are a very welcome change; those are great! I also appreciate how they have English tea all the time and not just Chinese.

It would be nice to see them up the food & food presentation. QF does much better at this in their PEY.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:02 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

That would be a big change if they no longer have a special meal for Y+. They charge a big premium to Qantas and their catering is way behind.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by sxc
That would be a big change if they no longer have a special meal for Y+. They charge a big premium to Qantas and their catering is way behind.
CX charges "a big premium to Qantas"?! I'm curious as to what routes and times of year, because I have never found that to be the case. CX is regularly significantly cheaper than QF for PEY on flights to Australia. Take this month, for instance. Qantas PEY from LAX to SYD/MEL/BNE has been around $3000-3300. CX out of LAX was around $2600-2800 when I last looked. That's a big difference already. But booking out of YVR, I'm on a trip now that I booked for $1800. Then in a few weeks, I booked out of YVR for $1300! You can't even buy QF Y for that price right now!!

If your experience has been different, I'm curious to hear about it...but my experience has always been the exact opposite.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Yes I should have mentioned the new pillows and blankets. The new PEY pillow is much larger and more comfortable - I thought pretty similar to the pillow in J. The new PEY blankets are sort of doona type things, not quite as thick as the ones in J but just as comfortable.

Compared to Y I think the hard product is a worthwhile step up, but the soft product doesn't differ much.

I haven't seen a big difference in Cathay v Qantas PEY pricing. For Melbourne to Hong Kong return on either airline, sale PEY is about A$1700, regular PEY about A$2200 and flex PEY about A$2800. I'd be happy to travel either but the fact that Qantas has 1 flight per day vs 3 for Cathay pretty much decides it for me.

Last edited by lionelhutz; Mar 6, 2016 at 3:40 am
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
A lot of HKers (well, a bit of myself too, must shamelessly admit) consider catering as a big thing on flights. Especially on our 'premium' flag carrier. It is insane if they cut back the catering in PEY, which means that it is getting closer and closer to a Y+ but nothing like J- experience at all.

That is not to mention lack of dedicated crew, now having to share the boarding line with GRs...etc
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:50 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Sorry my pricing comparison was ex-HKG where CX has home market advantage. QF to Australia is regularly $10k whereas the minimum I've seen CX is around $13k and it's usually a companion ticket.

Last edited by sxc; Mar 6, 2016 at 6:03 am
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:52 am

Just to let everyone know that new serving trays for Economy were announced along with the new Economy Class for the A350.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:03 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Any links to pictures?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
That is not to mention lack of dedicated crew, now having to share the boarding line with GRs...etc
The latter is in fact a relative step up for PEY - GRs used to be able to board "ahead" of PEY in the J/MPC queue, whereas they have now been "demoted" to boarding at the same time as PEY.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:43 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Well they still have "selection of enhanced entrées" http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...omy-class.html . But from here it seems like they've forgotten to update the advertising.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Half an year ago when I was on 104 it was also the same cart from PEY to Y, but they have a J main in ceramic in the cart for PEY

So a reduction of PEY meal...
Old Mar 9, 2016, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Sorry my pricing comparison was ex-HKG where CX has home market advantage. QF to Australia is regularly $10k whereas the minimum I've seen CX is around $13k and it's usually a companion ticket.
Ahh, gotcha. That makes more sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.