Wiki Posts
Search

Is MPC Silver worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Is MPC Silver worth it?

dont know if this is allow, if.not please delete this thread, thank you mods

right now there is a huge gap in benefit between silver and gold status namely the guarantee economy v seats 3 days in advance which will be gone by next April.

So there is no difference in getting gold in 2015 except for the unpublish benefit of higher chance of upgrades

Anyway i sign up for 2 programs that give out instant silver status and might come useful for ppl who plans to fly cx but wont archieve silver or for whatever reason will pay usd 100 to renew their green status membership card or want a jump start.

I wont give out refferal codes so i receive nothings from either program.

Asmallworld could give u MPC Silver and other benefits (havsmt use any yet and will not renew) for USD110, ONLY if u are a residence of USA. Obviously i am not and couldnt get Silver from them.

Founderscard could also give you Silver and other benefit (AA PLT not EXP challenge for free which i didnt join) for USD 395. i got my status from them with a non us residence ( i am base in hk, cx's home turf)

So both program requires refferals, if you guys are interested PLEASE DO YOUR OWN DUE DILIGENCE AND RESEARCH before signing up and dont get distract from the discount in membership they offer. There are other members in flyertalk that helps give out refferal just look them up.

So at the end my question is if MPC Silver worth USD 395?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I also got an invitation for FoundersCard for $395. I didn't apply, but perhaps I should.

If MPC SL the only reason for you to join, you can get your answer in your own post - If you are a US resident, you can get MPC SL from ASmallWorld for US110 membership including other benefits. So I suppose MPC SL is worth no more than US$110...
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:13 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
MPC Silver is only worth it if you plan to fly CX in Y or Y+ and think the lounge access is worth it.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:42 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
And it's CX lounges alone, so you can't use partner lounges for better food. $110 is a lot of dandan noodles...
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:18 pm

It is not just lounge access. My daughters are only GR (2000 short of SL ), but lounge access is not a problem. They usually go to the Plaza Premium lounge anyway when they wait for flights in HKG.

It is also for seat assignments, check-in line, waitlisting, etc.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:11 am

I think it's not worth it if you can't maintain SL by flying. If you will attain SL but want to start enjoying the benefits asap (instead of waiting many months) then I suppose the $395 is okay.

The question for me is whether GO would be worth it or not. I will have enough travel to qualify for GO NEXT membership year but it seems that there's not much difference to SL anyway (seat gautanteed only in Y), I might as well bank my miles elsewhere or just fly on other carriers instead. What do you guys think?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
It is not just lounge access.
It is also for seat assignments, check-in line, waitlisting, etc.
Good point.

I would gladly pay USD110 (not sure about USD395 though) for the advance seat assignment benefit alone, to know my family will sit together in Y rather than waiting for a disappointment during OLCI. And if you are traveling solo, then there is lounge access, check-in counters, extra baggage allowance and the occasional op-up (although that never happened when I was SL).
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Good point.

I would gladly pay USD110 (not sure about USD395 though) for the advance seat assignment benefit alone, to know my family will sit together in Y rather than waiting for a disappointment during OLCI. And if you are traveling solo, then there is lounge access, check-in counters, extra baggage allowance and the occasional op-up (although that never happened when I was SL).
Not to mention not having to hold on the phone line for ages (sometimes hours) to get through whenever you try to call MPC (silver seems to get you answered significantly faster than green).
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:06 am

One more data point - this is related to the privilege of having lounge access.

About 6-7 years ago, when we were returning on AA from MCO to SFO via MIA, the incoming equipment to MCO was delayed by three hours. By the time we arrived at MIA, our connecting flights already departed. As you may expect, most passengers were transiting in MIA, and they already missed the last flight for the night. AA asked passengers to get to a counter for arrangements. I went there. It was like a zoo. I immediately went to the nearest Admirals Club (the FS Lounge in MIA was closed). Unlike the other AA passengers, I can access the AC with my CX status. The AA agent was very helpful, made all arrangements for us (including the checked baggage), got us four first row seats for the flight the next morning, got us the hotel and meal vouchers. If I didn't have lounge access, we would spend an hour or two at the AA counter waiting for whatever they can do for us.

During an IRROP, a MPC SL can get back to a CX lounge for help, whereas those without status will be SOL.

I also encountered situations in HKG where my flights were delayed and canceled, and I got the situation taken care of at the lounge.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
One more data point - this is related to the privilege of having lounge access.

About 6-7 years ago, when we were returning on AA from MCO to SFO via MIA, the incoming equipment to MCO was delayed by three hours. By the time we arrived at MIA, our connecting flights already departed. As you may expect, most passengers were transiting in MIA, and they already missed the last flight for the night. AA asked passengers to get to a counter for arrangements. I went there. It was like a zoo. I immediately went to the nearest Admirals Club (the FS Lounge in MIA was closed). Unlike the other AA passengers, I can access the AC with my CX status. The AA agent was very helpful, made all arrangements for us (including the checked baggage), got us four first row seats for the flight the next morning, got us the hotel and meal vouchers. If I didn't have lounge access, we would spend an hour or two at the AA counter waiting for whatever they can do for us.

During an IRROP, a MPC SL can get back to a CX lounge for help, whereas those without status will be SOL.

I also encountered situations in HKG where my flights were delayed and canceled, and I got the situation taken care of at the lounge.
I think if OP doesn't fly enough and only flies in Y, 395USD per year is not a small amount to pay. I think your very detailed post must be very helpful to OP decision making though!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by bigfish22
I think if OP doesn't fly enough and only flies in Y, 395USD per year is not a small amount to pay. I think your very detailed post must be very helpful to OP decision making though!
USD395 is a lot, but USD110 for US residents may be worthwhile. In the end, OP and others have to decide for themselves.

For the missed MCO-MIA-SFO flight, theoretically only I and one guest could enter the AC. However, we were not really entering. I was at the receptionist desk only and because I could access the lounge, she helped me and my family. She was indeed very nice to allow my kids to get in for water. She also got us four dental sets, not just two for me and my guest.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:51 am

Any chance someone could PM me an invite to ASW? Been looking into it for a while but never found a way to get in. Cheers
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:56 am

In addition to the already mentioned perks: Just went through a short spell of Green and was moved around in Y for no apparent reason (no equipment changes, no bassinet seats) on 3 out of 4 flights at the counter. This has not happened once in 5+ years and 100+ flights as Silver or Gold. Not sure this is statistically significant but it sure was enough for me to try and never drop to Green again. 110 bucks for silver? Any day.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:14 am

Priority tags is a benefit I value a lot. While it's true that there are so many bags tagged priority nowadays, being able to guarantee that your bags will be among the first half to come out still makes a difference. Your luggage runs the risk of being one of the last few to shoot out of the carousel if it's tagged without priority...

In short, lounge access and priority tags are the biggest perks of SL over GR. The rest are rather trivial IMO.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by GE90-115B
Priority tags is a benefit I value a lot. While it's true that there are so many bags tagged priority nowadays, being able to guarantee that your bags will be among the first half to come out still makes a difference. Your luggage runs the risk of being one of the last few to shoot out of the carousel if it's tagged without priority...

In short, lounge access and priority tags are the biggest perks of SL over GR. The rest are rather trivial IMO.
That depends on the port. There is a much higher chance priority bags will come out first. SFO wasn't like that many years ago, but is much better now. However, I still waited 20 min after the first piece out to get my luggage once several months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.