Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX is considering flying to London Gatwick (LGW)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX is considering flying to London Gatwick (LGW)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
deleted

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Aug 19, 2015 at 10:23 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:04 pm

I just asked my colleague who travels to LHR all the time, and he told me Gatwick is a much better airport to go to with all else being equal.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by gemini573
BA just announced LGW-LIM. If CX does indeed decide to fly to LGW and you had a choice between connecting at LAX with LAN or LGW...I think the choice is obvious. You won't have to reclaim bags and no visa issues to US..
Isn't there a third option to S. America in general - QF to SCL via SYD? Or is that too far/circuitous from NE Asia?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:49 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by Rivarix
Isn't there a third option to S. America in general - QF to SCL via SYD? Or is that too far/circuitous from NE Asia?
LA also has a flight from SYD-AKL-SCL. However, I think to LIM, it would be better via LGW, but for SCL the QF flight works.

If CX did a flight to MAD or BCN, that would be the ideal transit point for Latin America.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I just asked my colleague who travels to LHR all the time, and he told me Gatwick is a much better airport to go to with all else being equal.
It depends what the purpose of the trip is. If you happen to live in Kent/Sussex/Eastern Surrey, or you work in the City/Canary Wharf, it's easier. For anything else (the key one being connections) LHR is superior.

I think enough people fall into those categories to make a flight work, but it wouldn't be surprising if it didn't last long.

Originally Posted by Rivarix
On a great circle line a SCL flight would fly almost straight over SYD.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by phol
It depends what the purpose of the trip is. If you happen to live in Kent/Sussex/Eastern Surrey, or you work in the City/Canary Wharf, it's easier. For anything else (the key one being connections) LHR is superior.
1. I think your definition of "anything else" is a bit vague. Gatwick has direct trains to most of the UK. Heathrow has a direct train to, errr, Paddington; great for getting roast duck in Bayswater, but a bit poor if you live or work anywhere North, East or South of London, never mind the City. Even if you live in South West London (e.g. Clapham, Putney), it's faster and easier to get to LGW by public transport than LHR

2. Gatwick serves more destinations (and many, many more in Europe) than Heathrow, so I'm not sure why that makes LHR connections superior?

Let's keep our arguments factual rather than emotive, eh?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by kt74
1. I think your definition of "anything else" is a bit vague. Gatwick has direct trains to most of the UK. Heathrow has a direct train to, errr, Paddington; great for getting roast duck in Bayswater, but a bit poor if you live or work anywhere North, East or South of London, never mind the City. Even if you live in South West London (e.g. Clapham, Putney), it's faster and easier to get to LGW by public transport than LHR

2. Gatwick serves more destinations (and many, many more in Europe) than Heathrow, so I'm not sure why that makes LHR connections superior?

Let's keep our arguments factual rather than emotive, eh?
1. What trains are those? There are Southern services to the aforementioned 3 counties or the Thameslink which makes its very slow way as far North as Bedford. Whilst still not ideal, Paddington and the Underground connections to the mainline stations North of the river are much better for getting anywhere North, East or West of London.

2. Unless CX has codeshares up its sleeve with Easyjet, Thomson or Thomas Cook, those destinations cannot really be considered as connections.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:58 am

Interesting debate. I would bet that LGW flights would be cheaper then LHR similar to EK and that EK would move one of their from LGW to LHR if they have the slots there.

Would the extra flight reduce the loading factor for Heathrow by much? So far MAN is not effecting much to the LHR operation, however LGW is much closer.

Last I heard MAN have good load factors, however they lack the yield which will similarly reflect on LGW too. As a passenger I would love the extra flight just to bring the air fares down as well the increase in choice of timing and hopefully more empty seats. From an investing points, it might not be wise to dilute its yield.

There are a few ways of comparing this JFK+EWR and HND+NRT. I only can think of BA+VS+EK fly both LGW and LHR any others?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by phol

2. Unless CX has codeshares up its sleeve with Easyjet, Thomson or Thomas Cook, those destinations cannot really be considered as connections.

I think some European cities/airports are better served in LGW than LHR by BA
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Isnt there just the a23 stretch going to gatwick? If urenot ard the trainlines or if there are track works... Good luck! (Esp on saturday when there is 3pm kick off)
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by silvercrow

Last I heard MAN have good load factors, however they lack the yield which will similarly reflect on LGW too. As a passenger I would love the extra flight just to bring the air fares down as well the increase in choice of timing and hopefully more empty seats. From an investing points, it might not be wise to dilute its yield.
It's not the yield that's an issue for MAN, more that there's not the premium traffic.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:49 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
LGW also has lower airport fees/taxes than LHR? I'm not certain though.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:25 pm

While so many of us worrying about the connecting traffic on the London side, I think the O/D traffic between Hong Kong and London is pretty strong, and also CX got the transit passengers from whole Asia and Australia/NZ, I can't see how this route can be failed.

Also, with the A350 coming and low fuel price, tough the LGW flight will not be as profitable as other LHR flights, I would expect it can survive at least with a daily A350.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:07 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
those are HM taxes. MAN also have them.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Taxes are the same, landing fees are a little over half.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.