Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Longtime flyer, newbie parent questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:03 am
Original Poster

I've been doing this FF gig for a long time now, but with a recent new addition to the family I have some very newbie questions.

Here are my 3 main ones:

1. If I position to another city to start my journey (e.g. TPE-HKG-xxx, vv), can I purchase an infant fare for my infant to accompany me on only the HKG-xxx, vv leg? And if so, on which fare basis would the infant fare be calculated?

2. If I redeem miles (Asia Miles or BA Avios) for myself/spouse, can I purchase an infant fare for the same leg? And if so, on which fare basis would the infant fare be calculated?

3. Where exactly are the bassinet locations for longhaul JCL on the 77W/A333?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by milehighj
I've been doing this FF gig for a long time now, but with a recent new addition to the family I have some very newbie questions.

Here are my 3 main ones:

1. If I position to another city to start my journey (e.g. TPE-HKG-xxx, vv), can I purchase an infant fare for my infant to accompany me on only the HKG-xxx, vv leg? And if so, on which fare basis would the infant fare be calculated?

2. If I redeem miles (Asia Miles or BA Avios) for myself/spouse, can I purchase an infant fare for the same leg? And if so, on which fare basis would the infant fare be calculated?

3. Where exactly are the bassinet locations for longhaul JCL on the 77W/A333?

Thanks in advance.
I will try my best to answer...

since i have a 3 years old, so your questions did come to me before.

1) yes, you can buy partial portion. it will be 10-25% (depends on short or long haul) of the lowest available fare bucket, i.e. in Y, possibly even N, O. if the agent refused or say otherwise, just hang up and call again.

btw, you need to understand they will price that portion only (sometime is higher than your routing.)

2) yes, again it will be % of the lowest available fare.

3) pls visit seatguru.com
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by milehighj
Where exactly are the bassinet locations for longhaul JCL on the 77W/A333?
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
pls visit seatguru.com
I think the CX website is actually more accurate than seatguru. Bear in mind also that there are two different versions of the long-haul 77W so you should check which one you're on.

On another note, as you may or may not know, Asia Miles only accepts over 18s for some unknown reason. I suggest you create a BA Household account and add the sprog onto it so you can accumulate points for it until the age of 2. Thereafter from age 2 to 18 it's MH that's probably the optimal OW plan for someone who is Asia-based.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Too much travel
I think the CX website is actually more accurate than seatguru. Bear in mind also that there are two different versions of the long-haul 77W so you should check which one you're on.

On another note, as you may or may not know, Asia Miles only accepts over 18s for some unknown reason. I suggest you create a BA Household account and add the sprog onto it so you can accumulate points for it until the age of 2. Thereafter from age 2 to 18 it's MH that's probably the optimal OW plan for someone who is Asia-based.
Asia Miles accept minors as members. It is MPC that has an age requirement of 18 or over
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
congrats on baby. since i had baby i avoid family travel to long distance destination now. .even if someone paid for J i would sti hate to travel to say JFK... u will know why soon, i have 3 little monsters

1. yes u can do portion
2. in my opinion most time they take 10% of full fare. it doesnt matter if u are redemption or revenue.
3. sorry cant help

my forever bigst arbitrage was me buying tpe hkg syd on I class, issued companion J, and bot infant J.... came cheaper than 3 economy fare
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Asia Miles accept minors as members. It is MPC that has an age requirement of 18 or over
Ah - I knew there was some age 18 related reason that I clock the sprogs onto BAEC and MH Enrich, but I couldn't remember why. Thanks for the clarification: it is so that somewhere on Toddler Flyertalk, my offspring can ask questions like "I am OW Ruby - do I get priority nappy change?".
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies.

Originally Posted by Too much travel
How does one do this? I do have an existing BA household account, but to add the child she will need to have her own BAEC number? And on that note I read that the minimum age to be a member is 18?

Are you also saying that infant fares (prior to age 2) credited to the child's BAEC number earn Avios?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.