Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This thread is to discuss the wi-fi experience on the A350.

Discussion on 777 / A330 retrofit is discussed in this thread:

​​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1877788-wi-fi-777s-a330s-2020-a.html
Print Wikipost

FINALLY... Wifi Reportedly Coming Next year (In 2016 to A350)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by tristanpang
At that moment, you may within PRC airspace?
1) lol mate, at no point is CX157 over the PRC.....ever. The poster was flying HKG to Brisbane!
2) CX does not restrict WiFi over China, unlike many other carriers.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
Please see the post two above yours which points you to the thread about future plans.
It seems I wasn't welly informed.....
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:49 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Has anyone been on a long flight where the internet wasn't working, and complained about it? Just wondering if CX considers this something that requires service recovery and what it is.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by sxc
Has anyone been on a long flight where the internet wasn't working, and complained about it? Just wondering if CX considers this something that requires service recovery and what it is.
I was on CX104 the other day and wifi didn't work for the entire flight -- neither did the moving map. I had planned to do work on the flight so it was pretty annoying, but since everyone was in the same boat I didn't bother complaining.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: CX, Hyatt
Wifi also didn't work on a recent transpacific flight. Had paid the entire flight package and after a few minutes it went down. ISM filed report for refund.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:21 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by sxc
I was on CX859 on Jan 2 and the wifi was working on my mobile for about 2 hours then I got disconnected. When I tried to log back in I was prompted to select a plan when I already paid.

The ISM told me that unfortunately I will need to pay the $19.99 again and gave me the Panasonic support email address to get a refund. I did it while I was on the plane and got my refund before I landed.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:27 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sxc
Just as a data point, filed a complaint just to see what would happen. The usual standard apology, no compensation (I had not purchased a package yet).
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:28 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by blum81
I was on CX859 on Jan 2 and the wifi was working on my mobile for about 2 hours then I got disconnected. When I tried to log back in I was prompted to select a plan when I already paid.

The ISM told me that unfortunately I will need to pay the $19.99 again and gave me the Panasonic support email address to get a refund. I did it while I was on the plane and got my refund before I landed.
I wonder what would happen if you had connected via your cellphone since your telco bills you for the data.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: CX
Anyone been on an A350 longhaul lately? Do they still have that free 30(?) minutes wifi sponsored by FWD? Or any other new sponsors?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Was on the A350 from HKG SFO the other day. Wifi was on, but really slow. Took forever for my laptop to sync up with all of my services (i know I should have turned them all off before connecting).....

Was also nice to have the SMS functionality on my phone as well.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by jkingsle
Was also nice to have the SMS functionality on my phone as well.

​​​​​​For the less technologcally-savvy...can you explain how the phone service thing works?

I've paid for wifi a bunch of times on the a350 and I just link the CX wifi to my phone and laptop (one at a time). How do I get service on my phone independently?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:39 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by QRC3288
​​​​​​For the less technologcally-savvy...can you explain how the phone service thing works?

I've paid for wifi a bunch of times on the a350 and I just link the CX wifi to my phone and laptop (one at a time). How do I get service on my phone independently?
There is a cell network onboard that your phone can connect to. You will be charged data roaming according to your phone plan if you connect to it. And you are billed by your phone company.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
There is a cell network onboard that your phone can connect to. You will be charged data roaming according to your phone plan if you connect to it. And you are billed by your phone company.
Wow, seriously?! So the way I can connect to it is just turn on my cellular signal?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:45 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Wow, seriously?! So the way I can connect to it is just turn on my cellular signal?
Yes but be careful as to how your phone plan charges you. CSL in HK has a "day roaming pass" so it ends up about the same cost as paying for wifi, however I'm not sure how other telcos charge.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by sxc
Any idea what the data speeds are like? Assuming it isn't 4G?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.