And now because Airbus are shutting down production
https://www.theguardian.com/business...-of-superjumbo
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:55 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
1. Cargo = 22% of CX revenue
2. Reduce frequency
3. Cascading intra-Asia delays, reacommodating large aircraft IRROPs
4. High yield night departure, low day departure ("staff travel express")

Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:25 pm
THR

Originally Posted by ermen
i reckon cx could have profitably operated a few of these planes
No airline profitably operates just a few.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by THR
No airline profitably operates just a few.
Pretty much. CX isn't EK. You need EK level of scale (or what BA did for the 744) to make a fleet of jumbos work.

The fact that nobody is ordering 380s aside from EK or 748s at all (and both would be perfectly viable successors to 744s) speaks for itself.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Pretty much. CX isn't EK. You need EK level of scale (or what BA did for the 744) to make a fleet of jumbos work.

The fact that nobody is ordering 380s aside from EK or 748s at all (and both would be perfectly viable successors to 744s) speaks for itself.
Are you saying that the volume of traffic in CX's network is still too small to operate A380's?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: Skypass, IHG
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Are you saying that the volume of traffic in CX's network is still too small to operate A380's?
Not as profitable as twin engine long haul planes like B777, B787, A350. I read somewhere some years ago that a then 20 years passenger jets demand study by Boeing on the super jumbo vs efficient twin engine jets was a factor in focusing on 787, instead of a competitor to A380. Turns out Boeing is right on this.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The last decade of sales results for jumbos speaks for itself. If other airlines thought the A380/748 was a winner, you’d see more airlines buying them. Outside of EK and NH (the latter basically doing it because of a legal obligation), nobody is buying jumbos in recent years. SQ is sending theirs back with plenty of life left in the frame as opposed to expanding the fleet. Same with AF, except they are dumping theirs.

CX could probably make it work on the fleet like SQ does, but other options work better.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:49 pm

The last decade of sales results for jumbos speaks for itself. If other airlines thought the A380/748 was a winner, you’d see more airlines buying them. Outside of EK and NH (the latter basically doing it because of a legal obligation), nobody is buying jumbos in recent years. SQ is sending theirs back with plenty of life left in the frame as opposed to expanding the fleet. Same with AF, except they are dumping theirs.

CX could probably make it work on the fleet like SQ does, but other options work better.
Thanks for the reply! I can definitely see the trend that most airlines are getting rid of A380's. One thing I am curious: why is EK a unique exception? Does EK operate A380's profitably because of subsidies?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Thanks for the reply! I can definitely see the trend that most airlines are getting rid of A380's. One thing I am curious: why is EK a unique exception? Does EK operate A380's profitably because of subsidies?
Maybe oil is cheaper at DXB? so flying a A380 half empty cost similar as other carriers flying A330s.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
Maybe oil is cheaper at DXB? so flying a A380 half empty cost similar as other carriers flying A330s.
Superconnector model https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...ing-out-of-sky. CX cannot match EK's scale (amount) of connection business due to geography .

EK itself isn't able to take any more A380 - its final A380 orders were replaced with A330neo and A350 aircraft. Hub and spoke model less and less profitable https://simpleflying.com/emirates-a380-retirement/
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:41 am

I may be in the minority, but I've always felt having more frequent smaller capacity flights from destination to destination was more efficient than running them through hubs. If there's an exception, it would be HKG, I suppose. While it's neat to fly on the newest and "best" equipment, after a while, I mostly just want the shortest and most direct route.

No idea what the future holds, but I'd be very surprised if the super duper jumbo jet run everything through a hub model will flourish over the next 10 or 20 years.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
I may be in the minority, but I've always felt having more frequent smaller capacity flights from destination to destination was more efficient than running them through hubs.
I think that's why EK's downgauging (above)
Old Dec 21, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DXB has scale as a super connector/scissors hub, as mentioned. Works well for Australia/SE Asia-Europe and v.v., and they also work for USA-India, which is an expanding market.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 7:22 am

DXB has scale as a super connector/scissors hub, as mentioned. Works well for Australia/SE Asia-Europe and v.v., and they also work for USA-India, which is an expanding market.
Yes, I understand that the middle-east region is perfect for connections. However, why does EK stand out? In theory QR and TK could also benefit from this model, right? Is there something unique about EK?
Old Dec 22, 2019, 3:45 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
EK took a risk and went all-in and expanded quickly. They could make the super hub model work through sheer volume. Qatar is nowhere near the scale of what EK is.

By going point to point in so many cities in Europe and the rest of the world they can really take anyone anywhere they want to go with one stop. TK and QR and EY didn’t scale the way EK did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.