HND

Africa:
None

Semi-reliable destinations:

BKK
TPE
PEK
MNL
SIN (Haven't seen this available in years * NetJets Germany * 20 May 2019) Flew F in Feb, but no F seems scheduled in future, Brunos 21/5/19
Print Wikipost

CX Routes with First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by QRC3288
It happened like that last year too, and lo and behold it reappeared a month later.
Good to know, thanks. My reservation's a cash+avios booking, so I will probably hold off on making any changes with them for now and wait it out.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Haha mate, I'm just here to provide useful information to posters based on what I'm quite familiar with. I have no doubt you're correctly repeating what's on Google Flights or the CX website.

However, despite what you see (I haven't checked, but I presume you're right), that still doesn't mean anything if you're unfamiliar with how CX operates F to BKK, TPE, and to a lesser extent SGN and MNL. I'm just speaking from a decade of 60-80 a year purchased segments on CX/KA, mostly in J and F. I feel pretty confident F is not permanently disappearing from BKK simply because you can't find it in the schedule past March. It happened like that last year too, and lo and behold it reappeared a month later. Similar situation happened with TPE a month ago.

I also think its likely F will continue to be a merry round of equipment and disappoint folks who buy it or redeem it in F when it does reappear.
All very useful info from an informed FTer.....except for the advice to ignore Google flights, which remains the preferred search feature to current CX F availability with visual indicators for 2 months on one page.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Not directly relevant to CX, but does anyone know if Google Flights and ITA Matrix work off the same database now?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:51 pm

Haha mate, I'm just here to provide useful information to posters based on what I'm quite familiar with. I have no doubt you're correctly repeating what's on Google Flights or the CX website.

However, despite what you see (I haven't checked, but I presume you're right), that still doesn't mean anything if you're unfamiliar with how CX operates F to BKK, TPE, and to a lesser extent SGN and MNL. I'm just speaking from a decade of 60-80 a year purchased segments on CX/KA, mostly in J and F. I feel pretty confident F is not permanently disappearing from BKK simply because you can't find it in the schedule past March. It happened like that last year too, and lo and behold it reappeared a month later. Similar situation happened with TPE a month ago.

I also think its likely F will continue to be a merry round of equipment and disappoint folks who buy it or redeem it in F when it does reappear.
In your experience, have you seen instances when, for a particular date and flight, CX downgauged, and then later upgauged again?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by savekenny
In your experience, have you seen instances when, for a particular date and flight, CX downgauged, and then later upgauged again?
Yes, definitely. Unfortunately I don't know what happens in all these cases.

I can give you an example of something similar. I was flying JFK-HKG-TPE on a cash F ticket. HKG-TPE sector was a different day. About ~2 weeks before the TPE sector, I noticed my seat assignment in F changed....and I was now in regional J class.

On the day of flight, I forgot about above. And I ended up in 1A and it was only when J class service started did I wonder what was going on, then realize I had been downgraded to J, but now I was in F class on a J-service flight....confusing! So CX had swapped 77H to regional equipment back to 77H, but on the reverse swap they didn't reinstate F class. Phew!

Also, I have no idea why I was sitting in the F section. Was it my original F ticket class and they see that, even though I'd been downgraded to J and I think I eventually got some cash back? Or was it the fact I'm CX DM? No idea.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by savekenny
have you seen instances when, for a particular date and flight, CX downgauged, and then later upgauged again?
Looong time ago, but I remember KA flight CX5789 CAN-HKG on 27/11/16 . AC change to all economy about a month out. Upon boarding, had myself a nice stroll through the almost empty Business Class cabin No idea if those ppl sat there for the same unknown reason QRC3288 was in his/her F seat, but they were there, and I was not.

Also had a couple of multiple AC swaps, where in the end, the type would be the same as the original one, of course now in a different seat.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:03 pm

I guess I'll just check CX's site daily... PITA.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by SESTAR
Not sure how reliable it is but I have a F class booked for HKG-CGK next week. Wonder how the meal service would be. Any thoughts?
Just curious, how did it go?

Did it stick to 77W and F? Or move to 333 and J?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS GOLD
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Just curious, how did it go?

Did it stick to 77W and F? Or move to 333 and J?
Yes. I flew 77W. Short flight. Nothing special.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by SESTAR
Yes. I flew 77W. Short flight. Nothing special.
Really ? Compared to what ?

I was lucky enough to get a HKG-BKK Avios redemption stick to F on the 77W, excellent flight, all 6 suites were occupied, service was impeccable, hand written welcome card from the 2 FA’s, personal warm greeting from Flight Manager.
We we’re delayed on the ground by ATC, multiple top ups of the Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs 2006.
Full F inflight service, although a short flight it was excellent & a nice comparison to my usual flights on LH, LX & EK in F.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Which flights have First?

Hello, I am on the KA451 KHH-HKG in July. I think they've switched me from First to Business. I guess maybe they are changing planes? I know its only a 1.5hr flight, but I would rather stay in First. How can I find out which other flights have first, shall I just call them up?
Old May 22, 2018, 8:07 am

There is no first from KHH, period. On occasion a longhaul CX bird is swapped in but AFAIK first class is never sold. So I think you're confused.

You can find routes with first by looking at our FAQ, the very top thread in this forum. We always appreciate searching first. We keep a spreadsheet which is linked there and included here Cathay Pacific / Cathay Dragon Fleet, Route and Configuration Guide
Old May 22, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Hi QRC, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I can't access the link at work so will have a look later when I get home. I'm certain there is first because I've been on them and I specifically booked first this time. My itinerary in through BA now says by first flight is cancelled and replaced with business.

Though I think I've just worked it out. I've just put in a dummy booking on cx.com and can see that the KA433 on 23rd Jul has first. Its a bit later then I need so will need to have a think...
Old May 22, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by benjai
Hi QRC, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I can't access the link at work so will have a look later when I get home. I'm certain there is first because I've been on them and I specifically booked first this time. My itinerary in through BA now says by first flight is cancelled and replaced with business.

Though I think I've just worked it out. I've just put in a dummy booking on cx.com and can see that the KA433 on 23rd Jul has first. Its a bit later then I need so will need to have a think...
In July, KA has F on one "random" flight three times a week. By randon, I mean that it could be 451, 433 or another.
BUT, understand that an ac swap is quite possible so don't raise your expectations.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by benjai

Mate, see brunos quote below.

Bottom line is KHH is not a CX/KA "F" destination, not even really a semi-nornal one. CX has three categories of F destinations: 1) Longhaul. You're guaranteed the product, no swap. 2) Regional seasonal. These are routes like NRT last season and PEK this season whereby the service is highly reliable during that season only, but no promises next season and it very well / likely will be gone. And on occasion there could still be swap. 3) Regional, regularly "swappable". TPE, BKK, MNL, SGN, SIN, plus occasionally ICN and CGK. Often rostered, often swapped. "Available" every season but buyer beware.

Note that KHH doesn't even meet #3 . I didn't even knew KA ever sold F on KHH! It's going to be highly random and highly swappable. Nobody is paying for F to KHH, absolutely nobody. Just don't want to get your expectations up and it really wouldn't be wise to adjust your schedule to try it because I'd put the odds of swap "extremely high". Also, unfortunately I don't think the service is going to be anything like a normal F service.

Originally Posted by brunos
In July, KA has F on one "random" flight three times a week. By randon, I mean that it could be 451, 433 or another.
BUT, understand that an ac swap is quite possible so don't raise your expectations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.