Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

HKG: Exiting the airport after going to the lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG: Exiting the airport after going to the lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Maybe it's time for CX to have a better arrival lounge so frequent flyer will not even consider going to Pier/Wing and come back out.
Bingo. The arrivals lounge is a disgrace.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by justforfun
Bingo. The arrivals lounge is a disgrace.
And how many other airlines actually provide any kind of arrival lounge?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Maybe it's time for CX to have a better arrival lounge so frequent flyer will not even consider going to Pier/Wing and come back out.
I'm guessing frequent flyers will be far less likely to consider trying to flaunt the rules after word about the stricter enforcement gets out.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
And how many other airlines actually provide any kind of arrival lounge?
Too many to mention.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by justforfun
Too many to mention.
Actually for HKIA I believe only CX has an Arrival Lounge....the other one is operated by Plaza Premium.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Actually for HKIA I believe only CX has an Arrival Lounge....the other one is operated by Plaza Premium.
That is correct. I wouldn't expect any other airline to have an arrivals lounge at HKG. But since HKG is CX's main hub, and the fact that CX considers itself a top airline, it should really consider improving its offering. The following arrival lounges come to mind that are significantly better:

BA at LHR
VS at LHR
LH at FRA
LX at ZRH
QR at DOH
etc...
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Both Pier F & Wing F could be in one of the top 10 lounges in the world, however, the arrival is only what a lounge could offer minimum.....

As a regular visitor to HKIA, when I need to head into town, i would just use arrival and then do what I need to do. I have been to all the OW lounge at HKIA enough. however, for irregular visitors, one of the F lounge is far better than arrival and worth the hassle.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:11 am

the arrival lounge in HKIA is really minimum and very pack during the morning.
very long Q to use shower room.
often need to go across to use Plaza Premium.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Both Pier F & Wing F could be in one of the top 10 lounges in the world, however, the arrival is only what a lounge could offer minimum.....

As a regular visitor to HKIA, when I need to head into town, i would just use arrival and then do what I need to do. I have been to all the OW lounge at HKIA enough. however, for irregular visitors, one of the F lounge is far better than arrival and worth the hassle.
The only way to gain admission to a departure lounge is to fly OUT OF hkia. What some people are proposing here is entering the transit area immediately after their 6a arrivals, even though they might not be departing until 12 hours later. If they go into Hk first, and return to the airport at 4p, they can still enjoy the very same lounges.

I agree that the Arrival sucks, but when you consider the facts that: 1. most long flights arrive early enough in the morning to go home before going to work, and 2. CX/KA offer connections to most other logical destinations before 9a -- I fail to see the point of them investing in the Arrival.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:25 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by moondog
The only way to gain admission to a departure lounge is to fly OUT OF hkia. What some people are proposing here is entering the transit area immediately after their 6a arrivals, even though they might not be departing until 12 hours later. If they go into Hk first, and return to the airport at 4p, they can still enjoy the very same lounges.
This just sums it up perfectly.

Originally Posted by moondog
I agree that the Arrival sucks, but when you consider the facts that: 1. most long flights arrive early enough in the morning to go home before going to work, and 2. CX/KA offer connections to most other logical destinations before 9a -- I fail to see the point of them investing in the Arrival.
Well they don't necessarily have to invest into the arrival per se since the food-offering is ok and I would rather have breakfast at an outlet somewhere in the city anyways. The only thing that needs fixing is the shower situation.

As suggested, vouchers for the PP across would solve a lot already. Last time, the CX arrivals lady suggested I would use the PP, fortunately i get access through the HSBC credit card but many might not. She didnt do anything proactively and this was arriving on an F ticket. Not sure how much admission costs for the PP but can't be more than ~300 hkd?

If you don't have an apartment in HK, need to work and can only check-in to your hotel past ~12 noon, then a shower is greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:42 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
If HK was a less attractive city to visit, this wouldn't be an issue would it?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by percysmith
If HK was a less attractive city to visit, this wouldn't be an issue would it?
LOL,This is amazing.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by mxr
Not sure how much admission costs for the PP but can't be more than ~300 hkd?
Just the shower is 200 HKD. Adding the breakfast to it becomes 270 HKD. Shower with a 15 min massage is 300 HKD.

A 2 hour lounge use package (shower and food) is 480 HKD for 2 hours. This is equivalent to $62 USD - seems like highway robbery.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:59 pm

Where exactly is the CX arrival lounge? Google map doesn't seem to show and the ticket envelop I happen to have also doesn't have it marked. I read someone said it is inside terminal 2 someone said it is in between 1 and 2. Anyone has a map to show the exact location? Thanks.

nmd. Found it on cx website:

Level 5, past the arrivals hall, centre passage connecting terminals 1 and 2

Last edited by yoyo; Jul 23, 2016 at 2:06 pm Reason: found answer
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:58 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by yoyo
Where exactly is the CX arrival lounge? Google map doesn't seem to show and the ticket envelop I happen to have also doesn't have it marked. I read someone said it is inside terminal 2 someone said it is in between 1 and 2. Anyone has a map to show the exact location? Thanks.

nmd. Found it on cx website:

Level 5, past the arrivals hall, centre passage connecting terminals 1 and 2
Just in case you have difficulties finding it (as I did the first time I tried to find it). Its basically exactly underneath the airport express. You'll just need to find the main hallway towards the airport express and then take the escalators down to level 5. PP is on the left and CX arrivals is a little further down that hallway to the right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.