Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Tool to email you when CX redemption is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

I'm new here and I didn't see any rules around self promotion so I hope it's ok to plug a tool I wrote...

I recently launched http://testing.airlinemil.es - it's a tool where you plug in the miles program and flight you're looking for and it will alert you when there's a seat available for booking. I originally built this just for my own use and the interface is definitely primitive but it's free for the foreseeable future and though right now it only supports CX, other miles programs are in the works (I started with CX because I couldn't find another option for CX flights).

I'd definitely appreciate any feedback (criticism is great just please be kind

edit: i've posted a bug tracker at https://bitbucket.org/hackerhasid/miles-rework/issues so if you have any issues please post them there (anonymous ok)
- noah

Last edited by hackerhasid; May 23, 2014 at 10:35 am
Old May 21, 2014, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Email and password?
Old May 21, 2014, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

sorry that's not clear, you'll need to first visit http://testing.airlinemil.es/users/sign_up to create an account (there's a link on the homepage but it's really not clear - i gotta spend some time on the user interface, like i mentioned this was initially built for my own use)

anyway you'll need to provide just an email (where you'll get alerts) and a password. i will never use that email address for anything other than this app and the password is stored in a one-way hash (using bcrypt for those interested in tech details)

i should also mention that as it stands right now you will get alerted every 3 hours to flights (assuming availability of course). so once you get an alert and you book you probably want to delete that search so you don't fill up your inbox with alerts for the same availability every 3 hours!
Old May 21, 2014, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

yea i guess i didn't see this as "Commercial" insofar as it's basically a personal project that i put online for others to enjoy. i'm not charging for it atm either.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:49 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I reviewed this post before allowing it to be posted in the forum. As I didn't see any commercial activity here, but only a tool to help others I allowed it to be posted.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old May 21, 2014, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

cool, thanks sxc
Old May 22, 2014, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i cant change the departing date: wondering if that's gotta do with me using mac/safari?
Old May 22, 2014, 1:11 am

Programs: MPC
Same date problem with firefox.
Old May 22, 2014, 1:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaka
i cant change the departing date: wondering if that's gotta do with me using mac/safari?
Originally Posted by DMrforever
Same date problem with firefox.
No problem with Chrome or Firefox on Windows.
Old May 22, 2014, 3:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
No problem with Chrome or Firefox on Windows.
All working good here
Old May 22, 2014, 4:11 am

Thanks for the tool. Only problem is Kaspersky won't open the sign up page as it detects phishing
Old May 22, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
hackerhasid O_o

That's a risky click
Old May 22, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

right now the site is down though i'm working on getting it back up. it worked great for 1 person but is really struggling to keep up with the demand atm! sorry for the annoyance though i gotta say that it does feel kinda cool to make something others want

Originally Posted by kaka
i will def look into this after i get the site back up

Originally Posted by mattoo
Thanks for the tool. Only problem is Kaspersky won't open the sign up page as it detects phishing
well it's definitely not phishing. it's a pretty ugly and minimal site though so i assume they probably figure it must be bad based on that
Old May 22, 2014, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

i got the site back up, sorry for any inconvenience (i increased the server specs so it should be significantly more resilient).

my next steps:
  1. investigate why some (kaka, DMrforever) cannot change the dates
  2. fill out the theme a little more and move over to the bare domain (airlinemil.es instead of testing.airlinemil.es) to hopefully appease Kaspersky (re mattoo's post about a phishing warning)
  3. add another miles program (any suggestions?)
  4. hope more people use it and give feedback!
Old May 22, 2014, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

It simply says invalid dates if i try to change it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.