Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay to move to Changi Terminal 4 in 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay to move to Changi Terminal 4 in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jacobsleather
Apparently Kerb is the Australian/UK way of spelling it.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kerb

Centralised security screening - T1-3 have gate screening. Does this require that they have separated arrival and departure zones?
Ha, thanks for the Kerb info.

The separate arrival and departure sides of T4 will make some people happy and others not so much. Somewhere on either this forum on the SQ one, there was some discussion/explanation for the reason T4 is being set-up this way versus the gate security at the other terminals. Maybe it's more efficient, but the differences and the transfer connections will confuse a lot of people in the short term. IMO.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Apparently Kerb is the Australian/UK way of spelling it.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kerb

Centralised security screening - T1-3 have gate screening. Does this require that they have separated arrival and departure zones?
Ah the English spelling, you mean

Yup- segregated arrivals and departures..
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Ha, thanks for the Kerb info.

The separate arrival and departure sides of T4 will make some people happy and others not so much. Somewhere on either this forum on the SQ one, there was some discussion/explanation for the reason T4 is being set-up this way versus the gate security at the other terminals. Maybe it's more efficient, but the differences and the transfer connections will confuse a lot of people in the short term. IMO.
Apparently, that (segregating) is an IATA recommendation..I'm firmly in the camp that likes the mixed setup that the other Terminals have! Arrivals doesn't look & feel depressing!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
who spells it "curbless"...
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Apparently, that (segregating) is an IATA recommendation..I'm firmly in the camp that likes the mixed setup that the other Terminals have! Arrivals doesn't look & feel depressing!
I'm of the opposite view. I can't stand the gate security at Changi with the holding pens. I'll be glad to see the back of that in this new terminal.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Another interesting note from the video, if it's to be believed, is that all arrivals will be via aerobridge. Near the 4 minute mark.
Not sure why they would call the "direct access to transfers" right after the departure bus gate section of the video if it wasn't true--but still seems a hard promise to execute on.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
If you're really keen to know there is an open house at T4 from 7-20 August.

http://t4.changiairport.com/en/openhouse
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by 1010101
I'm of the opposite view. I can't stand the gate security at Changi with the holding pens. I'll be glad to see the back of that in this new terminal.
I'd hate waiting in there too..just that now we typically reach the gate just as boarding's about to finish- Breeze through security and board right away!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Has CX announced when they will be moving or if any of their flights are doing the test of T4?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
My preference is gate security, just like jagmeets, I get there right at the end or just before. However I have to guess there is a reason why so many other airports do centralised security. The cost of additional X-ray and body scan machines alone must be huge - and when one breaks down, that whole gate is out of action until it can be rectified. But I guess Changi knew that before embarking on T3's design - actually that was probably close to 20 years ago thinking about it!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:46 am

My preference is gate security, just like jagmeets, I get there right at the end or just before. However I have to guess there is a reason why so many other airports do centralised security. The cost of additional X-ray and body scan machines alone must be huge - and when one breaks down, that whole gate is out of action until it can be rectified. But I guess Changi knew that before embarking on T3's design - actually that was probably close to 20 years ago thinking about it!
It was designed before the days when security was such an issue. No need to confiscate liquids etc.

I often get stuck in the pens because i always go to the QF lounge, some walk from the usual gate D3x and with no boarding announcements.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Well, you could already see the thinking moving farther away from gate-by-gate security with the "nodes" in T3 serving multiple departure gates. But the principal idea of letting everybody shop (etc) to their hearts' content while waiting for their flight, without having to deal with security until the last minute, never made all that much sense to me.

There were no body scan machines at Changi, by the way, but now some of the T3 nodes do have the L3 machines installed.

I can only think of a few airports in my experience that have mingled arrivals and departures: Changi, KLIA, and Kansas City MCI (ha!). Others? I'm sure there must be...

Anyway, this is getting quite far from CX. Hope somebody who has the (bad) luck to go through the test lets us know how it is! I'm up tomorrow but assume that I would have heard something by now if the flight was operating from T4. Then again, according to articles on the first AirAsia test:
"[Passengers] had been told earlier to gather at T1, where AirAsia now operates from, before being bused to T4 - about three minutes away. On the bus, they were briefed by airport staff on what to expect at the new terminal."
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1010101
me too
lts economically unsound and annoying to be stuck at the gate when we should be waiting for final call at the lounge
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:56 am

I used to be a fan of mix arrivals/departures....

But I am leaning more towards the segregated arrivals / departures... especially on departures due to lounge access...

that said, nothing beats mixed access for turnarounds
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
I can only think of a few airports in my experience that have mingled arrivals and departures: Changi, KLIA, and Kansas City MCI (ha!). Others? I'm sure there must be...
KUL, CMB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.