Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay to move to Changi Terminal 4 in 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay to move to Changi Terminal 4 in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Some new article today in ausbt on SIN T4.

Surprised also that T4 will have the largest CX lounge outside of HKG...

https://www.ausbt.com.au/photos-insi...ew-t4-terminal
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Oh dear - no Skytrain access between T4 and the other terminals. This should be fun for transfers.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by Alawyer
Oh dear - no Skytrain access between T4 and the other terminals. This should be fun for transfers.
Thought it was built for budget airlines originally..
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Segregated arrivals and departures as well, no at-gate security. That, combined with no skytrain, effectively destroys the essence of Changi.

It might not officially be the LCC terminal but passengers will see it for what it is, the cheap terminal, and CX and KE may regret tarnishing their brands by moving over there
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
While T4 sits where the old LCCT used to be, it doesn't even to have the look, feel & "You're Cheap!" tell that the old LCC terminal had.

That said, think there's just 4 Wide body gates, and while I can live with common security (T3 was halfway there, already), I do find segregated arrivals to feel dreadful (rubbing in the 'vacation over' feeling..I suppose better than HKG for me though, since it's at least 'Home, finally').

Painful inter-terminal connectivity on the other hand..I think CX lost enough money paying for QF lounge access that they lobbied for it!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:13 pm

FYI, media preview of T4 slated for July 24 & 25, however no opening date (inc opening of CX lounge, natch) at this stage.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Saw this article last night First commercial flights to use Changi Airport T4 in coming weeks.

The trials will involve selected flights by airlines that will be operating from the terminal. These include Cathay Pacific, Cebu Pacific, Korean Air, Spring Airlines, Vietnam Airlines as well as the four AirAsia airlines.
Not sure I'd want to be on those trial flights...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:19 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Alawyer
I suppose the idea is if you want to transfer, take SQ/TR/MI/3K. CX is purely an O&D carrier to that airport (terminal), as is the other carriers operating there.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Saw this article last night First commercial flights to use Changi Airport T4 in coming weeks.

Not sure I'd want to be on those trial flights...
Interesting that the article says the facial recognition has been working at 80-90% in trials by AirAsia and CX thus far. A little birdy told me that as of a month or so into the trial, the CX rate was a lot closer to 50%.

Did anybody here try it when checking in at SIN T1? Since it's on the opposite end from the J/F/elite counter, I doubt it
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:29 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Did anybody here try it when checking in at SIN T1? Since it's on the opposite end from the J/F/elite counter, I doubt it
No but isn't Australia already doing this with Smartgate even for visitors?

My missus has no Australian PR or passport, so Australian travel is on her HKSAR passport. No pre-registration with Australian authorities except ETA kindly arranged by Guy Betsy. She was allowed to use Smartgate and the recognition is automatic cos she couldn't pass until she took off her glasses - they must be reading the photo inside her biometric HKSAR passport.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
....Did anybody here try it when checking in at SIN T1? Since it's on the opposite end from the J/F/elite counter, I doubt it
As of what date?
It wasn't available or offered when I checked in end of April.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by percysmith
No but isn't Australia already doing this with Smartgate even for visitors?

My missus has no Australian PR or passport, so Australian travel is on her HKSAR passport. No pre-registration with Australian authorities except ETA kindly arranged by Guy Betsy. She was allowed to use Smartgate and the recognition is automatic cos she couldn't pass until she took off her glasses - they must be reading the photo inside her biometric HKSAR passport.
This is something different (at least related to my comment--Changi may well do something similar to the Australia smartgate in T4).

CX set up, a few months ago, self-bag-drop mechanisms which take your photo when you drop your bag. These are actually similar to the self-loading bag conveyors in Australia as well, now that I think of it, but instead of, or in addition to, scanning your boarding pass, they will take a photo.
I assume at the final deployment of T4, that photo taken at checkin will match to both the immigration and the boarding gate to ensure that Pax A is still Pax A all the way through the process, without any staff involvement.

These self-drop lanes were at the left of Row 1 when you're facing the CX counters in SIN, so if you normally fly J or check in at the elite counters, you may not have noticed them.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Interesting that the article says the facial recognition has been working at 80-90% in trials by AirAsia and CX thus far. A little birdy told me that as of a month or so into the trial, the CX rate was a lot closer to 50%.

i tried it a few months back where the 2 elite counters were heavy and the unmanned check in was no one. Overall a cumbersome experience.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
New video posted July 11, 2017

Notice the CX planes at 2 points early in the video (oddly, AirAsia seems to get visual prominence later in the video). Also, someone invented a new spelling for the word "curbless".
Assuming this is an accurate reflection of the final look inside, you can see the self check-in kiosks and bag drops, the automated clearance at departure immigration etc

The Changi Airport Terminal 4 Fly-Through

Review from Lucky, OMAAT includes additional comments

A Look At Singapore Changi’s Incredible New Terminal 4

JULY 16, 2017

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...gi-terminal-4/
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Originally Posted by 24left
Also, someone invented a new spelling for the word "curbless".
Apparently Kerb is the Australian/UK way of spelling it.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kerb

Centralised security screening - T1-3 have gate screening. Does this require that they have separated arrival and departure zones?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.