Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Christmas warning: Thieves stealing hand baggage on Dragonair flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas warning: Thieves stealing hand baggage on Dragonair flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:30 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
機艙老鼠涉偷乘客財物被捕

http://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/2015...00822_001.html

This has to be CX/KA/HX/UO, as HK Police refuse to arrest anyone committing theft on a foreign-flagged plane due to doors closed jurisdictional issues.

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 18, 2015 at 9:37 pm
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:14 am

I thought the international rule is as long as you've landed in another country you're subject to that country's jurisdiction. But when the plane is in the air, as long as it doesn't land, you're subject to the flagged nation's jurisdiction.

So this means: when you commit a criminal act on the plane, agents of government (like Air Marshall) needs to obey the flagged nation's laws. But once the plane has landed, if no formal arrests or charges were made right there on the plane, you're now subject to local laws.

This is why US Air Marshalls on international flights needed to make formal declaration of arrests on the plane, because once that plane lands, he is just a citizen of US with no formal authorities.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:29 am

That is the issue w HK Police - on a foreign-flagged aircraft, they don't have authority if the theft happened in flight. So e.g. if it was on a US aircraft they will have to have the airline talk to the TSA or something. And then the perp has to be extradited.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:58 am

One more arrested CX738 1Sep DXB-HKG http://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/2015...4e3deb1e7f4fac
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
This issue is not exclusive to CX/KA. I have heard this has happened on more than one occasion on United's HKG-SIN flight.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:36 am

The DXB suspect got his first hearing today and denied the charges http://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/2015...4e3deb1e7f4fac . Trial to proceed 11 Dec
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:19 am

The way to avoid this is to act cool and just dump the bag above. They target people (especially ladies) that hold their handbags like dear life and have to fight FAs when they were told all things have to go above on take-off and landing. I have seen an argument that the lady virtually yelled out "all my cash and valuables are in here", geez, talk about painting a target on your bag.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by percysmith
The DXB suspect got his first hearing today and denied the charges http://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/2015...4e3deb1e7f4fac . Trial to proceed 11 Dec
Can you please translate into English, but it was Chinese. I can't read a Chinese.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Can you please translate into English, but it was Chinese. I can't read a Chinese.
I can't find this news piece from our English HK news sources so you'll have to read a Google translation of the piece

Mainland men involved in stealing belongings of other passengers on Cathay Pacific airliner. (Picture)
[Newsletter] on.cc East network renovation workers on the mainland male September 2 this year, on a flight from Dubai to Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific plane, allegedly stole $ 1,500 female passenger inside the backpack, and afterwards they allegedly pushed Another male passenger tried to stop his escape. He now appear in Tsuen Wan court denied theft and common assault on the plane two crimes, the case was adjourned to December 11 pre-trial on the plane, the defendants continue also during the pen. 52-year-old defendant DING right now in court denied the charges when, in Mandarin, said: "there is injustice, I will not plead guilty." The prosecution will call four witnesses; the defense did not apply for bail, but was accused of obtaining medical reports. It is understood that the body only after the defendant was arrested more than 50 US dollars, involving $ 1,500 can not be recovered, the defendant Under caution, said he was just "knock" their luggage, denied stealing the money.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by percysmith
That is the issue w HK Police - on a foreign-flagged aircraft, they don't have authority if the theft happened in flight. So e.g. if it was on a US aircraft they will have to have the airline talk to the TSA or something. And then the perp has to be extradited.
They could always arrest for handling stolen goods if they can't arrest for theft directly - since they would be handling stolen goods on HK territory as soon as they leave the plane.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
Happened on a flight to Shanghai on AA

http://loyaltylobby.com/2015/10/07/reader-question-purse-stolen-with-passport-on-american-airlines-flight-from-dallas-to-shanghai/

Caution traveling to Shanghai
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mafai
Happened on a flight to Shanghai on AA

http://loyaltylobby.com/2015/10/07/r...s-to-shanghai/

Caution traveling to Shanghai
Or caution flying out of Dallas...or on AA....or whatever....
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:19 am

Any thoughts on whether a combination lock would be a sufficient deterrent?
Old Nov 2, 2015, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris
Any thoughts on whether a combination lock would be a sufficient deterrent?
1) It marks your bag as a target it says you have valuables worthy to steal

2) An expert thief can break zippers easily (from middle), they don't need to release locking mechanism.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
1) It marks your bag as a target it says you have valuables worthy to steal

2) An expert thief can break zippers easily (from middle), they don't need to release locking mechanism.
Ah that's a good point.

I sometimes travel with my camera+lenses, what do you reckon is the best way to "secure" it? I used to put it in my backpack and lock with a small lock, while trying to hide the lock to make it less obvious. However as you pointed out, the lock is indeed quite useless...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.