Is MPC the worst One World FFP?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:04 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
I am interested to hear more views on earning/reaching the QF's Platinum (OWE) in comparison with BA's Gold (OWE), if we choose outside MPC system even when flying CX often.

Able to share the views to choose QF over BA if we do not take MPC?
You may want to ask about these questions in the BA or QF forums, or have a look at this Oneworld thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Old Dec 24, 2013, 3:19 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I am MPC Gold and I never had any upgrades or was ever greeted on any of my CX flights. (yes, surprisingly. and I have seen OWE being greeted with a bottle of evian! I was never offered one, even in biz cabin. lol.)
May be because the IFS greetes the wrong peron?

Happen to me on CX690, the IFS identified me as MR. XXXX, i told her i am not Mr XXXX, and she asked if I changed seat. I told her no. She looked at her lisy again and realized that guy seated on 31D not 31C.
(actually I wonder how come IFS cannot tell where D seat is)

Some people simply don't care as some may not even understand much English like that DM in 31D.

Today I got greated again. But I am very sure that last name is not mine (although I did not hear it clearly). The IFS said he just want to say hello.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I am MPC Gold and I never had any upgrades or was ever greeted on any of my CX flights. (yes, surprisingly. and I have seen OWE being greeted with a bottle of evian! I was never offered one, even in biz cabin. lol.)
Bottles of Evian water are only offered to OWE members. Greetings to OWE members in the main cabin are greeted by sometimes the Senior Pursers and not the ISM anymore. MPC Golds and OWS don't get 'acknowledged' anymore. But it is dependent upon each ISM if he/she wants to extend their welcome to other MPC members other than DMs.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 1:20 pm
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
It doesn't matter what the earn rate is on CX, even if they gave 1000% status bonuses, because simply put you can't use them anyways. Good luck trying to call the MPC center or finding award inventory.

The MPC/CXAM service center at HKG airport is a joke as well. Refused to process standby mileage upgrade HKG-ORD for same day flight. Quote agent in Cantonese: "我地唔做得喎" ("we cannot do this"), so I presume the purpose of the member service desk is a huge Oxygen to Carbon Dioxide converter for HKIA.

Had to pull a DYKWIA card and call a personal acquaintance (he is a CX exec) to get it done. After the call, the whole team "welcomes" me to upgrade with broad smiles and magically one J inventory appeared. This is so Mainland China.

Last edited by ffs852; Dec 25, 2013 at 3:06 am
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
How often does it happen that DMs get an op-up to J? Is there any way to increase the chances? Eg use fare guarantee to book full flights and then get op-up?

In the end it doesn't help me much if someone welcomes me on board or not or if I get a bottle of water, what I like is to get upgraded...
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i was able to get a seat to CTS via TYO last friday and got opuped... its not that bad is it - and i think u just got lazy agents...

Originally Posted by ssw207
It doesn't matter what the earn rate is on CX, even if they gave 1000% status bonuses, because simply put you can't use them anyways. Good luck trying to call the MPC center or finding award inventory.

The MPC/CXAM service center at HKG airport is a joke as well. Refused to process standby mileage upgrade HKG-ORD for same day flight. Quote agent in Cantonese: "我地唔做得喎" ("we cannot do this"), so I presume the purpose of the member service desk is a huge Oxygen to Carbon Dioxide converter for HKIA.

Had to pull a DYKWIA card and call a personal acquaintance (he is a CX exec) to get it done. After the call, the whole team "welcomes" me to upgrade with broad smiles and magically one J inventory appeared. This is so Mainland China.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
I agree that being GO is the hardest in MPC. I just flew my first trans-Pacific flight as a DM, and a GO next to me was upset that I got the first class blanket and Cathay Delight. These are nice, soft benefits, but I guess doesn't translate into something concrete for frequent flyers.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / Hyatt Courtesy C./ Hertz

I have a totally different experience, cant remember having any issue redeeming miles, even right at check in or even later at the lounge for an upgrade.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat; SQ PPS; AA Platinum
Question Economics of MPC vs. AAdvantage

I struggle to see the benefit of MPC over another OW airline with more generous miles accrual. Personally, I am based in Asia and fly CX 90% of the time for my long haul's.

However, I credit everything to AA, as the elite bonus for miles quickly outweighs (in my opinion) any published or unpublished benefit that CX has. My views may change subsequent to the AA/US merger and my experience is limited to the 3 award booking's I've made for CX F, whilst my paid travel on CX is 90% in C (I had to fly PE once, it was ok).

If someone can explain to me the economics of allowing a partner member to book a RT ticket in F for fewer miles than your own members, I would appreciate it. For example, last week I booked a RT in F PVG-HKG-SFO for March/April 2014 (well within the 360 day threshold people start looking) for 135k AA miles +$50 for taxes / fees. This has been the same cost (albeit the fees were lower in the past) for my other 2 F bookings on CX when redeeming AA miles.

However, if I do a search on the AM site, the same flight would take 220k miles. That's 85k miles or 63% higher than booking an award through a partner airline! When booking a one-way award, its even worse at 67.5k vs 130k. Is there a "Saver award" level that I'm not seeing that makes it a bit more affordable? What am I missing here?

This is compounded by the fact that I accrue RDM AA miles far quicker than I would accrue MPC, since AA provides the 100% elite bonus for Platinum members and above, whereas there appears to be no elite bonus with MPC (correct me if I'm wrong here).

In addition, with the new HKG-DFW and PVG-DFW routes coming on-line for AA in June 2014 with the same C seats as CX, I'll even be able to use my SWU's and book Y but fly C on AA metal (saving my clients some $$) with a very similar hard product, which is even more appealing, whilst continuing to book awards on F with CX at a lower rate vs. MPC.

In order of importance for me, the benefits I can see in going with MPC over another OW FFP (if you fly CX) are:
1) More qualifying fare code's to accrue RDM's and EQM's vs. AA (H fare or above), albeit less than 100% accrual
2) Wait listing for award tickets (nice, but if planned ahead of time, not entirely necessary based on my very limited experience)
3) Wait listing for upgrades and being able to upgrade an existing ticket (True of nearly any other FFP; not a huge deal for me since I don't fly Y very often long haul)
4) Higher chance of an Op-Up (if you rely on this for upgrades, I have a bridge to sell you that will definitely generate a nice ROI)
5) Greeting from an ISM (DM's and maybe GO - is this a benefit to anything but someone's ego?)
6) Buggy coupons (DM's only) for a ride to the gate
7) Invitation to meet CX higher up's at events
8) Nearly expired box of chocolates during the holiday (DM's; my boss received a box, they were still good)

What you don't get:
1) 100% elite bonus on RDM
2) 8 system wide upgrades

Perhaps my travel pattern is a bit out of the norm, but then again, there seem to be a lot of DM's and GO that fly only premium classes that would likely have a higher return by crediting miles to another FFP. Is my assessment off base?

Last edited by dickie98; Dec 25, 2013 at 9:35 pm Reason: Added one way pricing
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by dickie98
I struggle to see the benefit of MPC over another OW airline with more generous miles accrual. Personally, I am based in Asia and fly CX 90% of the time for my long haul's.

What you don't get:
1) 100% elite bonus on RDM
2) 8 system wide upgrades

Perhaps my travel pattern is a bit out of the norm, but then again, there seem to be a lot of DM's and GO that fly only premium classes that would likely have a higher return by crediting miles to another FFP. Is my assessment off base?
I guess for me, the fact that I have credit cards that grant Asiamiles at very good rates (SCB Amex comes to mind) adds a lot to the equation. Whatever BIS miles I earn or elite bonus I could accrue, would pale in comparison to miles from spending. I am sure there are similarly great if not greater credit cards for getting AA miles (there seems to be lots of websites devoted to taking advantage of them), but they are probably more impractical to get for Hong Kong people.

The 8 system wide upgrades are for AA flights only ? I really don't know the answer to this, but if they are, then they will be useless to people who don't fly AA, myself included. Not there there is anything wrong with AA or the US ... okay there is, but of course this is my personal subjective view.

There is also the convenience factor for my own and my partner's travel patterns, and I just plain like CX and MPC. Whether it's because I've grown up with them, or just been lucky in receiving almost flawless service in my 10-year of MPC GO with them, I have found them pretty damn great and it would take a major blunder on their part for me to want to leave MPC.

Last edited by marcuslai; Dec 25, 2013 at 10:18 pm
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:58 pm

Is MPC the worst One World FFP?

On Christmas day I took my mommy (AM) & sister (GO) to HKIA, they're in J to MNL & my sister was OP-UP to F but not my 80-y-o mom & my sister asked if no 2 seats in F, she just kept their original J seats as she has to look after mommy. The ground agent was talking long on the phone then she told us my mommy was also up-graded to F. That's not the 1st time they treat us well. Thanks CX!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TalkFlyer
On Christmas day I took my mommy (AM) & sister (GO) to HKIA, they're in J to MNL & my sister was OP-UP to F but not my 80-y-o mom & my sister asked if no 2 seats in F, she just kept their original J seats as she has to look after mommy. The ground agent was talking long on the phone then she told us my mommy was also up-graded to F. That's not the 1st time they treat us well. Thanks CX!
Any idea if other cabins were full?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat; SQ PPS; AA Platinum
Thumbs down Irrops

One additional benefit may be more efficient treatment for irrops. My flight to HKG just went MX (KA831) but there were announcements of a delay and I have a 1hr connection to my TPE flight, which I have always been able to make.

Prior to the MX announcement but after it was clear there was no way I was making the connection, the desk refused to rebook me, saying I should handle it when I get to HKG since all the seats on later flights were "blocked". To me, that is an unacceptable response which they only were willing to resolve after the flight went full MX. Then amazingly, the seats were not "blocked" and they were able to reticket me. I've had similar irrops experiences with CX and think that's one of the worst parts of their service.

Would this happen if I was a GO or DM?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

I have been able to use them on several occasions...
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dickie98
One additional benefit may be more efficient treatment for irrops. My flight to HKG just went MX (KA831) but there were announcements of a delay and I have a 1hr connection to my TPE flight, which I have always been able to make.

Prior to the MX announcement but after it was clear there was no way I was making the connection, the desk refused to rebook me, saying I should handle it when I get to HKG since all the seats on later flights were "blocked". To me, that is an unacceptable response which they only were willing to resolve after the flight went full MX. Then amazingly, the seats were not "blocked" and they were able to reticket me. I've had similar irrops experiences with CX and think that's one of the worst parts of their service.

Would this happen if I was a GO or DM?
UA IRROPS is even worse...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.