Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

[Meal times and] Transpacific service on CX on J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Summary of Meal timings, please add your experience by destination.

Note: flight times are approximate, varying 1-2 hours based on seasonality and Daylight Savings Time

If your experience was different from described or have experienced mid-flight meals, please add the date of flight

HKG-EWR
CX890 (6pm Dep) - normal service (5 March 2014)
HKG-JFK
CX830 (9am Dep) - Mid-Flight dinner (March 2014, 23 March 2014)
CX840 (4pm Dep) - Normal service
CX846 (7pm Dep) - Normal Service
HKG-LAX
CX880 (12am Dep) - Normal service
CX882 (4pm Dep) - Normal service
CX884 (1pm Dep) - Normal service (27 Feb 2014)
HKG-ORD
CX806 (11am Dep) - Mid-Flight meal (Jan 2014, 23 March 2014 )
HKG-SFO
CX870 (2pm Dep) - Normal Service
CX872 (1am Dep) - Normal Service
HKG-YVR
CX838 (4pm Dep) -
CX888 (1am Dep) - Normal service
HKG-YYZ
CX826 (5pm Dep) - Normal service
CX828 (11am Dep) - Mid Flight Dinner

ex-EWR
CX899 (1am Dep) - Normal Service
CX899 (1am Dep) - Mid-flight Service - Aug 2014, but menu said second meal would be before landing
ex-JFK
CX831 (2pm Dep) - Normal Service
CX841 (9am Dep) - Mid-flight meal (Jun 2014 printed on menu)
CX889 (9pm Dep, stops in YVR). JFK-YVR: one Western and one Chinese option. YVR-HKG: normal service
CX845 (1am Dep) - Normal Service
ex-LAX
CX881 (12am Dep) - Normal Service
CX883 (10pm Dep) - Normal Service
CX885 (11am Dep) - Mid-flight meal & Normal Service (6 Feb 2014, 27 Mar 2014)
ex-SFO
CX873 (11pm Dep) - Normal service
CX879 (12pm Dep) - Mid-flight meal (17 March 2014)
ex-ORD
CX807 (2pm Dep) -- Mid-Flight meal (Dec 2013, 15 March 2014); Normal service (4 March 2014, July 19, 2014)
ex-YVR
CX837 (2pm Dep) - Mid-flight meal (March 2014, 23 March 2014); June 19, 2014 (3pm Dep) - Normal Service
CX889 (2am Dep) - Normal service
ex-YYZ
CX829 (2am Dep) - Normal service
CX825 (3pm Dep) - Normal service
Print Wikipost

[Meal times and] Transpacific service on CX on J

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
CX885 6 July LAX - HKG

Menu stated the second meal (dinner) would be served prior to landing (i.e. normal meal service. However, the ISM decided that it was a brilliant idea to serve the dinner mid-flight!!!!!

She explained to me that 'in her last LAX/HKG flight experience, many passengers got hungry mid flight and therefore she decided to change the meal service.' I told her if a passenger feel hungry they would be requesting for the snacks/noodles (and that's what the snacks/noodles are for!). The mid-flight meal makes no sense for J pax. Since there wasn't any announcement for her change of plan, many pax got surprised mid-way through the flight. The pax behind me was actually complaining to the SP serving him.
Wow, that must have been unpleasant. May I know if the crew was LAX-based? (I've heard many rumours of scary LAX-based ISMs...)
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by nsolitude
Wow, that must have been unpleasant. May I know if the crew was LAX-based? (I've heard many rumours of scary LAX-based ISMs...)
The crew are all HKG based
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
CX 879 SFO-HKG
July 10th
Business

2nd meal service normal before landing
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
The crew are all HKG based
Cx885s are always operated by hkg based crews.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:46 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I just stepped off CX899 from EWR and the J menu said that the second meal would be served before landing. However, when they handed out the menus the FA told me that the meal would be served mid-flight.

I wasn't happy about this as I prefer to sleep through the whole flight and the meal service is very disruptive.

I spoke with the ISM and the FA separately about this asking why they served the meal mid flight, and they said because everyone is awake on these long flights and they are hungry. She also said to me...look at all the snacks we are preparing now even though we served the meal mid way, and I said well that this is why there are snacks, and the FA was like....yeah well...

So in this case CX wanted the service to be "normal" but the ISM decided to change the service.

To their credit, when I asked for something to eat 30 minutes before landing, they offered me the burger, but when I asked for some pastries, they were able to serve this and some fruit.

Last edited by sxc; Aug 18, 2014 at 8:52 pm
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: AS MVP
CX898 930am HKG-LAX in J on 7/14. Mid flight meal service. The cart movement woke me up for breakfast and then I couldn't fall back asleep.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:19 pm

No activity on this thread for a while...has CX stopped its mid-flight madness or has everyone just gotten used to it?

I have a flight coming up soon, hence the question.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Oct 8, 2014 at 1:31 pm
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
No activity on this thread for a while...has CX stopped its mid-flight madness or has everyone just gotten used to it?

I have a flight coming up soon, hence the question.
it hasn't stopped unfortunately, although the flights where it's possible are up in the wiki. One thing that seems certain is that if you're on a late-night departure, whether ex-HKG or outport, the crew pattern is meal-rest-rest-meal. ditto for flights where you arrival early morning.

i made an effort to log most of the meal times on my 19 TPACs in the last year. With the exception of ~5-6 flights in F, the rest were in J. Have flown to or from every outport in North America in last 12 months except YVR.

ISM (and SP) have discretion, no matter what the technical rule is, and they modify the meal timing frequently. at least 3 of the 19 flights changed meal times, but roughly 10 of my sectors have been midnight sectors where meal timings don't change. So more like 3/9 were changed meal timings. These flights were ORD, ex-LAX and and ex-JFK, all midday departures. Excuses were: "snacks ran out" (meal pulled forward), "passengers were hungry" (a bit of the same), "flight departed for ORD later than expected so we thought we'd treat it more like a night flight" (flight was delayed, they were apparently supposed to do meal-rest-meal-rest but swapped to meal-rest-rest-meal to my relief), etc. I've also flown on a few flights this year and in years past where J meal timing is out of sync with the EY meal timing.

it seems like the flights where you're at risk for the midflight meal are the ones where they're daytime departures and non-early morning arrivals. if you have a midnight departure, or early morning departure, it seems guaranteed you get meal-rest-rest-meal.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:54 pm

While it may seem that day flights are more prone to the mid-flight meal timings, there have been rare reports on this thread of midnight long-hauls having the mid-flight meal too. I think they were on CX899 and 845 if I recall correctly. It's just simply hard to fathom why they do it for long-haul red-eyes since most passengers in J would conk out for about 7 hours straight, especially when it would very likely be already 4am local time by the time dinner service is wrapped up completely.

I chatted briefly with a junior FA a while ago and she said that there could be instances where passengers complained of being hungry during the flight, and hence the meal timings being adjusted to the mid-flight fashion even though others may have preferred to have it served about 2 hours before landing. She added that its hard to please everyone onboard so guess this is where the discretion of playing around with the meal timings kick in. Still, serving breakfast on midnight flights with 8 hours to go is bizzare, and I doubt that its down to passenger complaints. The crews on those flights must have something up their sleeves and decided to disrupt the sleep of almost every pax onboard by serving breakfast midflight for their own benefits...

Anyone could report from CX825?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by GE90-115B
While it may seem that day flights are more prone to the mid-flight meal timings, there have been rare reports on this thread of midnight long-hauls having the mid-flight meal too. I think they were on CX899 and 845 if I recall correctly.
My lord, that would be brutal. I would be furious if that happened.

I am always shocked at the stories I hear about bizarre behavior of other passengers. Although I haven't witnessed it myself, I have heard multiple stories of passengers getting enraged with FAs for not having a proper mid-flight meal, which usually is the catalyst for unscheduled mid-flight meals. Admittedly, these were all daytime flights....for the obvious nighttime flights like CX845, CX899, CX873, CX889, CX881, CX883 etc., I would be so pi$$ed if on account of some angry passengers the FAs launched into the full-blown breakfast service 7 hours out.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288

I am always shocked at the stories I hear about bizarre behavior of other passengers. Although I haven't witnessed it myself, I have heard multiple stories of passengers getting enraged with FAs for not having a proper mid-flight meal, which usually is the catalyst for unscheduled mid-flight meals. Admittedly, these were all daytime flights....for the obvious nighttime flights like CX845, CX899, CX873, CX889, CX881, CX883 etc., I would be so pi$$ed if on account of some angry passengers the FAs launched into the full-blown breakfast service 7 hours out.
I agree 100%. I think the one thing most FF want... consistency/predictability. Even if it meant breakfast in the middle of the flight, I want to know about it ahead of time and plan accordingly. When you change the plan on a whim - or the loud voice of what is probably a minority of passengers - you are bound to anger a lot more people. For that reason, I blame the FA's as well. Stick to the policies. If passenger(s) do not like it, complain to the airline.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:44 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by QRC3288

Yes as per my post above I have had this happen even when it was printed on the menu when the meals should be served: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23386093-post275.html

I wrote into complain about this and I received 5000 miles as a goodwill measure. If thIs happens on your flight please write in to complain so they get the message to inform the ISM not to use discretion on these midnight departures
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Yes as per my post above I have had this happen even when it was printed on the menu when the meals should be served: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23386093-post275.html

I wrote into complain about this and I received 5000 miles as a goodwill measure. If thIs happens on your flight please write in to complain so they get the message to inform the ISM not to use discretion on these midnight departures
all I can say is WOW. I missed your post originally. I am floored. While I've always known there is significant latitute by ISM and SP to change timing, never did I think it would happen on a midnight departure and early morning arrival. That is complete crap if I'm allowed to say that. I thought timing on those flights was sacred.

The daytime flights I can see where the times are so screwy maybe an argument can be made. I dont like midflight meals but i do understand for say cx885, or cx830, etc. Those types of timing. But it is crystal clear ex-North America TPAC.....when takeoff time is midnight, most importantly that's also equivalent to afternoon/late afternoon/evening HK time. Aka, you feel like going to bed, and it isn't that hard on the body clock because they timing is configured that you're basically just going to bed really late / early. the flights line up perfectly for being a sleeping flight and it's just a long night.

Anyway, man I'm sorry to hear that and it rattles my concept that those midnight ex-NA TPACs are always meal-rest-rest-meal. By them giving you compensation I think that's tacit admission the ISM committed a party foul. I've never seen that in my life and I've done a lot of midnight TPACs over the years. Bummer.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
CX898 (HKG-LAX 9am) - Sept 2014 in J - Normal Service (No mid-flight meals)
CX899 (EWR-HKG 1am) - Oct 2014 in J - Normal Service (No mid-flight meals)
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: *G, OWE
CX897 - mid flight meal

CX897 LAX-HKG, 0940, dep 10 October. The menu stated that the second meal would be served mid-flight and it was. At the seven hour mark the lights came on and the trolleys came out. I was in the mini J cabin and the only person awake when the lights came on. I didn't hear any grumbles but 2 people slept through it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.